any drawing/wooden model of Schlachtschiff F and G during their conception?

sgeorges4

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I'm talking about the bismarck an tirpitz,I didn't find anything on the internet concerning the drawing and wooden model who were made during their conception (my french source mention a tirpitz wooden model with a bow like the one who was there when the bismarck was launch)
bismarck_02.jpg

04123-728x521.jpg

The following is from Breyers 'Battleships and Battlecruiser 1905-1970, English version of his Schlachtschiffe und Schlachtkreuzer 1905-1970.
I had this book many years ago, and due to 'overuse' it eventually fell apart. I did however preserve the principle contents (for personal use) on my PC. I know that it is a very dated source of information now, and that some of the line drawings are now known not to be 100% accurate, it is still an excellent source work.
That taken in mind, here is the drawing of the early Bismarck design from the publication:

Bismarck evolution.png

Last edited:
Sadly Bismarck's design history is more shrouded then Yamato's!! we lack the knowledge of the various preliminary studies the designers prepared, which is weird as we know a ton of never were battlecarrier and cruisercarrier designs!

Schlachtschiff F and G concept
entwurf-schlachtschifc6st3.jpg

Schlachtschiff F and G superstructure from "19 -Pancerniki typu bismarck cz.5 - bismarck tirpitz"
Schlachtschiff F und G.jpg

Excuse me, but where are the differences to what it actually looked like ?
It already has the "Atlantikbug" (Atlantic bow), the capped funnel, the middle 15 cm
turrets fitted with range finders and the fixed catapult. And it looks, as it is already fitted
with radar on the rangefinder on the fighting mast.

dgvuq531nw931.jpg

no "dome rangefinder" after caesar(the picture is from 21 may 1941when he was in the Grimstadtfjord)

Not sure if its what you are looking for, but Bundesarchiv photo numbers 134-B1369 and 134-B1370 appear to show a wooden model of Bismarck or Tirpitz.

er... dunno... I searched Schlachtshiff came up on page 7

Try 'Modell Schlachtschiff "Bismarck-Klasse".- Stapellauf 1939'

Trivial question I know, but what are the exact dimensions of the Bismarck Class???
Most online and many book sources states 248m overall and 241,5m waterline
The German Wiki as well as the first Anatomy of the ship The Battleship Bismarck book states 250,5m overall
The English wiki, the newest Anatomy of the ship book and yet other websites states 251m overall.
Now which is the correct length?

Trivial question I know, but what are the exact dimensions of the Bismarck Class???
Most online and many book sources states 248m overall and 241,5m waterline
The German Wiki as well as the first Anatomy of the ship The Battleship Bismarck book states 250,5m overall
The English wiki, the newest Anatomy of the ship book and yet other websites states 251m overall.
Now which is the correct length?
248m is before the adding of the atlantic bow, that is at launch, 250,5m the final one

Here's the design of the Bismarck, as it was in 1936/37 from Erich Gröner "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe
1815-1945", volume 1.
The originally planned steep bow still is indicated, but the actually built clipper bow is already shown
1645948465472.png

So the atlantic bow was already planned in 1936/37, interesting to see the 2 dome shaped telemeter weren't planned behind turret caesar

Back
Top Bottom