Anti tank missile on Chieftain hull

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
In one of the books on Chieftain there is a section on a project to equip it with
either Malkara or Swingfire? I think its in the Ian Allan book. Has anyone got the
info to hand? Many thanks in advance.

uk 75 said:
In one of the books on Chieftain there is a section on a project to equip it with
either Malkara or Swingfire? I think its in the Ian Allan book. Has anyone got the
info to hand? Many thanks in advance.

The only picture I have related to this is a Malkara system with operators, launcher and magazine mounted on a trolley for trials. The system was to be installed in a tank at some date but was cancelled after the Conqueror roll out. Will upload a picture and more info when I have access to it later.

Scroll down to page 4: http://www.warwheels.net/images/FV1620HornetArticleElliott.pdf

Provides a picture of a proposed FV4010 centurion based Malkara launcher. It also describes a trolly/trailer arrangement that may be what AB is referring to.

Sealord

Many thanks. Guess I was wrong on Chieftain. Though I am sure the Ian Allan book
mentions it in the history of the development of Chieftain. However, as the Chieftain
development originally used a Centurion hull, I got confused.

I am sending the link to a chap on the Whatifmodelers site who does images of what if
kit.

Development of the FV4010 Heavy Tank Destroyer started in mid 1953 and by June 56 had been designed to carry 20 guided missiles based on the Centurion tank. Apparently the system was tested in late 1958 at Woomera. But was cancelled because of the advent of the Chieftain and new ATGW programs promised in the 57 White Paper.

Attachments

• FV4010.jpg
    FV4010.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 544
Here is a picture of the armoured Malkara launching rig. The key thing this rig explored was under armour loading and storage of guided missiles. Which at the time before containerised ATGW were developed was quite complex and difficult to achieve.

Having gone through all of my books on Chieftan I can’t find any mention of a ATGW version. There was a lot of British experimental conceptualisation before Chieftan of concepts ranging from ATGW carriers to one man tanks with fixed and liquid propellant guns, but no missile shooting version of the Chieftan.

Though there is one possible explanation for this Chieftan missilier concept. The UK seriously examined using the American 152mm gun-missile launcher with Shillelagh missile. But was rejected in the end because it did not make the tank lighter and cheaper and despite its higher accuracy at long range was deficient in rate of fire, night use and concerns about sun glare performance.

Attachments

• Project_J.png
    Project_J.png
    270.9 KB · Views: 531
Abraham

Thank you for coming up with all this info. I was trying to remember a book I last saw
ten years ago, so I obviously got the wrong end of the stick. Glad to have the full picture.

UK 75

Smacks of Sherman Firefly with Tulips, but the short-lived GSOR.1000 covered Swingfire on the Chieftain, but soon became Swingfire on the FV.432. Lack of space for the kit I think.
Funny you mention Shillelagh. It was under consideration as a SAM for the US Army mobile air defence requirement in the 60s. No, I didn't believe it either, but it's in a file along with ET.316, Chapparal, Avenger and Vulcan. Mind you, Orange William was originally a dual-role weapon.
Chris

A bit of googling turned up the attached images showing Swingfire configurations for Centurion, Saladin and Vickers MBT Mk.2. The Centurion appears to have four ready fire missiles and two stored on the back of the turret, it looks like a mock-up configuration to me, I suspect any Chieftain configuration would have been similar. The Vickers MBT Mk.2 configuration appears to mount the missiles behind the turret on the engine decking.

Attachments

• Cent-Swingfire.jpg
    Cent-Swingfire.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Saladin - Swingfire.jpg
    Saladin - Swingfire.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Vickers MBT Mk.2 - Swingfire.jpg
    Vickers MBT Mk.2 - Swingfire.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 168
A bit of googling turned up the attached images showing Swingfire configurations for Centurion, Saladin and Vickers MBT Mk.2. The Centurion appears to have four ready fire missiles and two stored on the back of the turret, it looks like a mock-up configuration to me, I suspect any Chieftain configuration would have been similar. The Vickers MBT Mk.2 configuration appears to mount the missiles behind the turret on the engine decking.

That Centurion mount appears to be the rear of the turret rather than the engine decks, that would reduce the ability of the turret to be rotated.

Actually, they are mounted either side of the turret bustle.