Andrei_bt

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek:
506d9c4e99d7.jpg

In addition to the 24x80mm rockets, it looks like it has 8x107mm (?) rocket tubes. Also note Shtora-1 jammers, EO (?) box on launcher, turret window shiled, periscope (?) in middle front and NSVT cupola mount.

Perhaps a hunter killer of ATGM teams. Relies on the Shotra to protect itself and pounds the ATGM launch position with 80/107mm rocket fire. The platform above the right hand rocket pod could serve as a base for a search sensor (radar)?

Abraham Gubler said:
Perhaps a hunter killer of ATGM teams. Relies on the Shotra to protect itself and pounds the ATGM launch position with 80/107mm rocket fire. The platform above the right hand rocket pod could serve as a base for a search sensor (radar)?

there was such project in 90-s -
bmdallnewversionrussia0rv4.jpg

this may be the development

They look like they've escaped from a video game !!!

Nik said:
They look like they've escaped from a video game !!!

No more than the MMEV
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7291.msg63091.html#msg63091

I'm puzzled by this. Why use unguided rockets?

I wonder if there is a possibility of the larger tubes being for Drozd hard-kill APS (It would need the appropriate sensor suite, of course).

I believe the "box" above the launcher on the SA-13/Strela-10 is the PIE RACK (1RL246) IFF interrogator. It does look remarkably similar to the unit on the mystery vehicle.

With the legacy IFF still in place this looks like a minimal modification of the existing MTLB based air defence vehicle (SA-13 GOPHER?). The IR homing missiles have been replaced by the rockets and the Shotra. The utility of unguided rockets for suppressing infantry positions is very high. This would be a good vehicle for taking out ATGM positions, snipers and so on. The high angle elevation and wide field of regard of the air defence vehicle’s anti aircraft system would also be of use for high angle engagement of snipers and RPG gunners in an urban environment. A poor man’s BTR-T.

CostasTT said:
I wonder if there is a possibility of the larger tubes being for Drozd hard-kill APS (It would need the appropriate sensor suite, of course).

Yes, that would be an eminently sensible explanation for the use of 2 different calibres. Thanks to the launcher assembly traverse, coverage would not be a problem even with all launch tubes aligned down the same bore sight.

Overscan is right re the IFF. As for what I wrote that might be an EO box, it looks different from the original ranging radar electronics box (which on a normal Strela 10 is located behind the radar antenna dish). I wonder if it has anything to do with the possible Drozd system.

Trident said:
CostasTT said:

Yes, that would be an eminently sensible explanation for the use of 2 different calibres. Thanks to the launcher assembly traverse, coverage would not be a problem even with all launch tubes aligned down the same bore sight.

I'd say the chance of that would be about zero. There is no search sensor for a hard kill active protection sensor and the tubes are full length for long range rockets not short range self defence interceptors.

There are many good reasons for two types of rocket tubes. The upper tubes are clearly 80mm unguided rockets but the lower tubes could be an ATGM or more likely a larger unguided rocket. Why use two types of rockets? For multiple types of engagement. The smaller rocket is suited for some engagements and the larger for others. For example the 80mm may not offer an effective enhanced blast warhead for taking out buildings but the larger rocket does. You still want the 80mm for smashing ATGM posts hidden under trees and the like but the bigger rocket for taking out farm houses converted into bunkers.

The apparent lack of APS sensors is a reason I refrained from mentioning it as anything more than a guess. Your viewpoint also makes sense, especially if the larger rockets can have FAE warheads - although a simple HE can do a good job, too.

On Russian forums they're saying it's a field (Chechen war) modification of the Strela-10 used for forward airfield defence. The larger launchers are for flares while the smaller ones are for S-8 rockets. The idea being to light up the perimeter of the base and deal with any encroaching guerrillas.

The use of aircraft ordnance is for practical reasons. The flares and rockets would already be stocked at the airbase.

Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to push your patrols and listening posts further out and aggressively patrol with infantry around your base, thereby preventing the enemy from even reaching your perimeter?

Husar said:
On Russian forums they're saying it's a field (Chechen war) modification of the Strela-10 used for forward airfield defence. The larger launchers are for flares while the smaller ones are for S-8 rockets. The idea being to light up the perimeter of the base and deal with any encroaching guerrillas.

The use of aircraft ordnance is for practical reasons. The flares and rockets would already be stocked at the airbase.
Interesting info.