Another Box of Awesome

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Arrived yesterday was a stack of "blueprints"... vintage prints, mostly Boeing, showing a whole range of different aircraft (mostly built aircraft, not projects). Many show plans for display models. I photographed some of what I think of as the best. These will get rolled up around a cardboard tube and left to fester for a month or so... hopefully time enough to help flatten out some of the fold lines, as some of these may have been folded up since the 1940's. Then they'll be scanned.

First up: a 707-based AWACS, but with 8 engines.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 161
I can't tell from the pictures, is that eight-engined AWACS the one using TF34s? I always thought that'd be a different design to model, though you'd have to rob a number of S-3 kits to do it right.

I'm defnitely picking up copies of those SST drawings if you offer them for sale. :eek:

B-29 drawings. If I coudl get a frame big enough, this'd look great on a wall. The scans will do it justice as far as getting the drawing right, but without color it'll lose some of the "art."

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 44
Minuteman display model drawing. *Months* after I needed such a drawing for the RV (for my "Orion Battleship" article), this shows it with some precision.

Note scale-kitty.

Attachments

• IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 62
Put me down for the Minuteman drawings...... ;D

cheers,
Robin.

B-29 drawings. If I coudl get a frame big enough, this'd look great on a wall. The scans will do it justice as far as getting the drawing right, but without color it'll lose some of the "art."
So, scan them in full color and sell them for double the price... someone will buy ... ;)
AWACS, the original submission had 8 engines (I have a couple of arts somewhere). Then the miniaturization of radar electronics saved weight...

Skybolt said:
So, scan them in full color and sell them for double the price... someone will buy ... ;)
AWACS, the original submission had 8 engines (I have a couple of arts somewhere). Then the miniaturization of radar electronics saved weight...

I thought I read the reason they wanted the 8 TF34s was for better fuel efficiency and then the idea got the axe due to cost. ???

I've read it was for effeciency as well. Tho it would nearly double the total thrust, why would they go with a different engine when I would think if they needed 8, they could have simply adapted B-52 assemblies?

sferrin said:
Skybolt said:

I thought I read the reason they wanted the 8 TF34s was for better fuel efficiency and then the idea got the axe due to cost. ???

sferrin said:
Skybolt said:

I thought the idea was to take off and transit to the area of operations on all eight engines but to then loiter in the observation flight pattern using only four and shut the otehrs down to conserve fuel.

elmayerle said:
sferrin said:
Skybolt said:

I thought the idea was to take off and transit to the area of operations on all eight engines but to then loiter in the observation flight pattern using only four and shut the otehrs down to conserve fuel.

Freewheeling dead engines would be kinda draggy wouldn't they? The B-36 had fairings over it's jet pods when it wasn't using them so I supposed they could have done the same thing.

Orionblamblam said:
Skybolt said:
So, scan them in full color and sell them for double the price...

They are big. Far too big to be reliably scanned, even in pieces, on a flatbed. And I know of no large-format scanner around here that does color.

CORRECTION: I found a place not too far away that says they can scan full-sized blueprints in color. Woo! So I'll be able to get the B-29 and the Minuteman blueprints in actual color, along with a 1/40 scale 727 blueprint.

Got the color blueprints scanned, and many of the B&W (although on closer inspection, many of *those* are trashed due to some computer screwup.... grrrrrr...). The following are scaled way, *way* down in size from the originals:

The B-29 original was 36 inches by 83.

Attachments

• 727.jpg
    727.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 73
  • b29.jpg
    b29.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 67
  • minuteman.jpg
    minuteman.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 61
  • t43.jpg