Alternative Centaurs?

As I undertstand it, with EMALS the power is more even over the catapult length rather than sudden jolt......whether that power come from a steam turbine or another power source doesn't really matter.

In no particular order, other than that in which I can find the data, which is as you say hard to come by:

CVA01 - 6 boilers 1,000psi at 900 degrees F (482 degrees C) see Warship 2014 article “CVA-01: Portrait of a Missing Link”

Victorious as rebuilt in 1958 - 6 Foster Wheeler type boilers operating at 440psi see “Anatomy of the Ship The Aircraft Carrier Victorious”. I’m not aware of any machinery changes to her after that.

Ark Royal on completion - 400psi. No change noted in any of her later refits. From “Britain’s Greatest Warship HMS Ark Royal IV”

All the Colossus / Magnificent class would have completed with the same machinery, being a half set of that installed in the Fiji class cruisers. The Admiralty 3 drum boilers of the period all seem to have been around 400psi e.g. KGV class 380/410psi at 750 degrees F from Burt’ British Battleships. I also have a Warship article that notes the Battle class destroyers of 1942, when compared to the L class, would raise boiler pressures from 300psi to 400psi and steam temps from 660 degrees to 700 degrees.

If you want catapult details the best source I’ve found is “Farnborough and the Fleet Air Arm” by Geoffrey Cooper who used to work there.

I have come across the data for Arromanches (ex-Colossus) and it is also 400 psi / 680 F, fits right in.

1625564953940.png

From my dubious memory.
Something about the Y300 and catapults at 650 degrees.

And Something about YEAD1 being 750psi.

But until or if I ever get to unload storage I cannot check my books.

Back
Top Bottom