Almost Israeli Air Force aircraft aquisitions...........

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
I've just been sent a photo copy of four pages out of an unknown book by a friend who thought I might be interested in the information it had and I thought I might share it!
Unfortunately, he can not recall the source where he got it from :mad:
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can inform both myself and the forum, as I would like to find a copy of the entire book!!

Any way this is the information it obtains:

"As part of the diplomatic discussions held in early 1965, the Israelis briefly delved into actual IDF/AF operational requirements. It wanted to add a number (75 jets) to the US combat aircraft commitment. The Americans, in turn, mentioned the [Douglas] B-66 Destroyer as a possible candidate for the heavy attack aircraft operational requirement. However, it was quickly agreed to leave hardware specifics to the military. Israel was asked by the US delegation to prepare a proper request for presentation in Washington, DC.
By then the IDF/AF list of candidates for future combat aircraft had been cut down to the Super Vautour verses the Mirage F2 for the heavy attack aircraft requirement, with the [SEPECAT] Jaguar as a possible light attack option. A small-scale acquisition of [Dassault] Mirage IV's was also proposed to fulfill the reconnaissance mission. France was keen to preserve its position as sole supplier of combat aircraft to Israel, but the drawback with the French option was that none of the aforementioned heavy and light attack types was expected to be available before 1970. Comparable US combat aircraft were already operational.

................. - the 'offered' B-66 was considered unsuitable and rejected. Instead, the F-4 Phantom II, A-6 Intruder and the A-7 Corsair II were evaluated for the heavy attack requirement, while the A-4 [Skyhawk], F-5 [I assume F-5A Freedom Fighter?] and F-100 [Super Sabre] were considered for the light attack role. The resulting IDF/AF procurement programme, christened Plan Samuel, called for the immediate acquisition of 30 heavy, 120 light attack aircraft. It also recommended the purchase of relatively cheap and simple aircraft that were ready for service.........................

IDF/AF commander Ezer Weizman presented Plan Samuel in Washington, DC, in Oct 1965. He stated that the F-4 was the preferred heavy attack aircraft, with the A-6 being an acceptable option, and the A-4 was the IDF/AF's choice for the light attack aircraft................................"

As I said I found it quite interesting, as I never heard of the Douglas B-66 Destroyer or the Grumman A-6 Intruder being offered to Israel!!

Regards
Pioneer

I have heard it the other way with the A-6: Israel wanted it but was denied by the USA.

From what I've heard/read several countries wanted A-6s but the USN didn't want anyone to have them due to their radar/attack equipment as they treated it as a closely guarded secret or something to effect. That's why A-4s were offered to everyone instead.