Airbus Super Puma/ Cougar Alternative to NH90

kiwi_dave

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has any information on a proposed Super Puma/ Cougar alternative to the NH90. I read somewhere that when the NH90 programme was in its early stages and experiencing the inevitable problems, Airbus briefly considered an updated version of its Super Puma as an alternative.

I've Googled but can't find any references to this so any information would be appreciated.

Isn’t the NH90 alternative simply the H225M? (Originally labeled as the Super Puma MKII+)

Or perhaps it was the Super Puma MKIII project which would have had a larger cabin to compete with the S-92:

Super Puma Mk III: Proposed growth version , announced June 1998, as competitor to Sikorsky S-92 in offshore support role. Will have military counterpart. Cabin volume increased by 25 per cent to 20.0 m2 (706 cu ft) through increases of 35 cm (13 3/4 in) in height, 70 cm (2 ft 3 1/2 in) in length and 25 cm (9 3/4 in) in width. Engine power increased by up to 14 per cent. MTOW increased by 10 per cent (compared with AS 532L2) to 11,000 kg (24,251 lb). FAR/JAR-29 certification expected late 2001; sales of 200 anticipated.
(From Janes)

Alternatively today they could take the H175M (which is Puma sized) and give it a ~1m stretch + reengining… just like they did to turn the Puma into the Super Puma.

20151001_Infographic_H225M_poster_EN_low.jpg

E_UUwISXMAcj_l1

Last edited:
Isn’t the NH90 alternative simply the H225M? (Originally labeled as the Super Puma MKII+)

Or perhaps it was the Super Puma MKIII project which would have had a larger cabin to compete with the S-92:

Super Puma Mk III: Proposed growth version , announced June 1998, as competitor to Sikorsky S-92 in offshore support role. Will have military counterpart. Cabin volume increased by 25 per cent to 20.0 m2 (706 cu ft) through increases of 35 cm (13 3/4 in) in height, 70 cm (2 ft 3 1/2 in) in length and 25 cm (9 3/4 in) in width. Engine power increased by up to 14 per cent. MTOW increased by 10 per cent (compared with AS 532L2) to 11,000 kg (24,251 lb). FAR/JAR-29 certification expected late 2001; sales of 200 anticipated.
(From Janes)

Alternatively today they could take the H175M (which is Puma sized) and give it a ~1m stretch + reengining… just like they did to turn the Puma into the Super Puma.

20151001_Infographic_H225M_poster_EN_low.jpg

E_UUwISXMAcj_l1
Thanks for the SP Mk.3 info. I hadn't seen that so its really interesting. I wonder if perhaps this is what they were referring to when they were talking about the NH-90 alternative. It kind of makes sense to increase the internal volume of the SP as its always been at a disadvantage when compared to the S-92 and Merlin in not having standup internal height. The increase in power and MTOW seem to have been incorporated into the later H225s.

Yes thank you for the wonderful info. A curious consideration, would a demise of NH-90 cause Lockheed-Martin to entertain the idea of a S-92 restart? Perhaps better suited to the speculation department. Given the current difficulties and the infancy of the Next Generation Helicopter efforts I see a potential for a very lively H-175M -vs- Leonardo 149 "interim" program in Europe, possibly world wide . That said given the investment level for NH-90, I think it would be hard for France to drop the program.

Given the current difficulties and the infancy of the Next Generation Helicopter efforts I see a potential for a very lively H-175M -vs- Leonardo 149 "interim" program in Europe, possibly world wide
Agreed. I wonder what’s keeping Airbus from taking the H175, stretching it, adding the engines & rotors from the NH90 (and maybe a few other parts that work) to make a ~10t helo. There should be plenty of countries who don’t want more NH90s but currently have no alternative.

Given the current difficulties and the infancy of the Next Generation Helicopter efforts I see a potential for a very lively H-175M -vs- Leonardo 149 "interim" program in Europe, possibly world wide
Agreed. I wonder what’s keeping Airbus from taking the H175, stretching it, adding the engines & rotors from the NH90 (and maybe a few other parts that work) to make a ~10t helo. There should be plenty of countries who don’t want more NH90s but currently have no alternative.
We will have to wait and see boys.

After the NH90 or tbh, the NH0, do they have any credibility left or should folk just buy Blackhawks?