Airbus Helicopters H160 (formerly X4)

This is not new for France. It should work fine... Maybe the US Coast Guard will need new helicopters. B)

With the current MH-65 rebuilds, not until the mid-2030s, supposedly.
Airbus might persuade senior civilians with the USCG otherwise.

I really doubt there will be any money. There's a reason they didn't buy new this time around and not for the lack of wanting a new helo.

Also officially there is order for 4 x SAR platforms for the Aeronavale. The French Armament General Directorate (DGA) is to supply four H160s to the French Navy for search and rescue missions through a partnership between Airbus Helicopters, Babcock, and Safran Helicopter Engines.

This suggests to me a Little of the UK COMR - Commercial Owned Military Rotorcraft..program

cheers

Was there ever any RFP issued? IMOHO a Puplic/private partnership to fill a public service need would have legally required one.

Was there ever any RFP issued? IMOHO a Puplic/private partnership to fill a public service need would have legally required one.
IIRC not for defense purposes. Any RFP related to Defense is a courtesy, and once issued must be followed, but an EU country can just say "I want that" and be done with it.

Search & rescue is civilian. COMBAT Search & rescue is military. The French Navy field a public services mission for sea search & rescue. Those are not combat helo and does not constitue a defense sovereign force.

See here (In French) :

So we are where I said we were.

Last edited:
Search & rescue is civilian. COMBAT Search & rescue is military. The French Navy field a public services mission for sea search & rescue. Those are not combat helo and does not constitue a defense sovereign force.

See here (In French) :

So we are where I said we were.
French. Navy.

That's defense. It might be a public service, but it still falls under the ministry of defense.

Also holy shit, that website comes straight out of the nineties.

Yes cool one. Scary low at some point.
Sad they did not adopt a special paint sheme for the occasion...

Last edited:
wow. this thing doesnt even look like a warbird even with side weapons. and another thing i noticed was the camber of the tail rotor. ?????????? anybody know why?

was the camber of the tail rotor. ?????????? anybody know why?
The tail rotor is tilted to allow it to assist with pitch trim when poorly-balanced.
Tilted tail rotors debuted on Sikorsky CH-53 later models and H-60 Blackhawks.

Last edited:
The main rotor blades rotation induces a difference of lift b/w the side of the advancing blades (more speed->more lift) and the one with the retreating ones (less speed... Less lift). This creates a banking motion that has to be compensated through trim (the rotor disc is canted regarding the vertical axis of the fuselage trough the swashplate). This lead to a loss of total lift since the acting Lift component is only the rotor lift time the cosinus of the angle (it also results in less travel amplitude for each blade motion (pitch)).

It is obvious to undertand that the more power, the more lift, the more losses you get that way.
Canting your anti-torque rotor to balance the difference of lift along the main rotor disc is a good way to obtain a similar result without most of the trim losses. The rear rotor push downward to balance the helicopter.

Last edited:
was the camber of the tail rotor. ?????????? anybody know why?
The tail rotor is tilted to allow it to assist with pitch trim when poorly-balanced.
Tilted tail rotors debuted on Sikorsky Ch-53 later models and H-60 Blackhawks.
ooooohhhhhhh thank you that makes so much more sense 1610728302845.png
as far as i know they have never done that thx!

This is not new for France. It should work fine... Maybe the US Coast Guard will need new helicopters. B)

Well during the USA tour post Heli Expo 2018, the USCG folk got to play around with it .

cheers
Given that the USCG has a history with AIRBUS, with the Dauphin are getting old, I think there is a fair chance for the H160. Most of the US offerings are either not ready (FVL types), or too large (Bell 525, S-76) I think, The exception maybe more H-60 (single type supply with all US DoD, might be an argument there), to reduce the USCG to one helicopter type across the board. H-60 however may be too big to operate from some of the USCG cutters, necessitating a smaller craft.

Well during the USA tour post Heli Expo 2018, the USCG folk got to play around with it .

cheers
Given that the USCG has a history with AIRBUS, with the Dauphin are getting old, I think there is a fair chance for the H160. Most of the US offerings are either not ready (FVL types), or too large (Bell 525, S-76) I think, The exception maybe more H-60 (single type supply with all US DoD, might be an argument there), to reduce the USCG to one helicopter type across the board. H-60 however may be too big to operate from some of the USCG cutters, necessitating a smaller craft.
i feel like they are gonna go for it. they have always been the ones to accept new tech and this is definitly not an exeption that's for sure.

Definitely an aircraft based on any of FVL airframe will revolutionize the USCG.

That was already the case when both the Dauphin and Falcon 20s were selected. Times have changed...

Definitely an aircraft based on any of FVL airframe will revolutionize the USCG.

That was already the case when both the Dauphin and Falcon 20s were selected. Times have changed...
I woud fully agree with you if the FVL platforms were more mature and did not promise to be more expensive. IF the Dauphin can hang on another decade there might be an FVL option for sure. During that time AIRBUS will be plying the USCG with great offers. Even through H160 would only be a slight progress over Dauphine, I think USCG will be tempted at a lower cost option.

4 x H160 for the Gulf of Mexico as PHI ordered them for Shell contract

ttps://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2021/02/Shell-selects-H160-for-operation-by-PHI-in-Gulf-of-Mexico.html?fbclid=IwAR1fiIOHWfyZKueoEw7axJtSCOGKB-WIdulTCudBfyUayz1I-nPIPQl0zJs

H160 PHI Rendering.jpg

I woud fully agree with you if the FVL platforms were more mature and did not promise to be more expensive. IF the Dauphin can hang on another decade there might be an FVL option for sure. During that time AIRBUS will be plying the USCG with great offers. Even through H160 would only be a slight progress over Dauphine, I think USCG will be tempted at a lower cost option.
presumably faster transit means less stations and aircraft, for the same response time. Interesting exercise there.

presumably faster transit means less stations and aircraft, for the same response time. Interesting exercise there.
Absolutely agree. However, fewer aircraft usually means higher cost per unit. The USCG has an incredibly small budget vis-a-vie the services of the DoD. Completely retooling, and retraining is a far greater challenge to them. While they naturally would like the greater speed and range associated with the FVL platforms, the financial implications of acquisition may play a greater role in that decision.

First ever H160 delivered today to Japanese operator All Nippon Helicopter

cheers

Attachments

• 265565170_3143003879156519_397083590999486143_n.jpg
    265565170_3143003879156519_397083590999486143_n.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 265608430_3143003945823179_1792688511151363327_n.jpg
    265608430_3143003945823179_1792688511151363327_n.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 265857506_3143003889156518_4843606105430167742_n.jpg
    265857506_3143003889156518_4843606105430167742_n.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 265726984_3143003909156516_3473254473408750205_n.jpg
    265726984_3143003909156516_3473254473408750205_n.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 62
Seeing the last pic, I wonder again who has the best peripheral vision: a CH-53 pilot, CH-47's, Mil-26'S or the one of an H-160?

Program move frwd anyway with prototypes and EMD:
Here is the official skinny

The French Armament General Directorate (DGA) has signed a contract with Airbus Helicopters for the development and procurement of the H160M in the frame of the Light Joint Helicopter programme (HIL). The contract includes the development of several prototypes and the delivery of a first batch of 30 aircraft (21 for the army, 8 for the navy and one for the air force).

cheers

Attachments

• Guepard.jpg
    Guepard.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 65

Attachments

• 7FF0A498-BBED-405D-AB12-BC79F03917E6.jpeg
    7FF0A498-BBED-405D-AB12-BC79F03917E6.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 6035C4E6-6BA2-4C42-8404-3A5032A13A1E.jpeg
    6035C4E6-6BA2-4C42-8404-3A5032A13A1E.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

The French Armament General Directorate (DGA) has signed a contract with Airbus Helicopters for the development and procurement of the H160M in the frame of the Light Joint Helicopter programme (HIL). The contract includes the development of several prototypes and the delivery of a first batch of 30 aircraft (21 for the army, 8 for the navy and one for the air force).
question, will this function for the French army similar to how the Blackhawk serves the US Army?
I was always surprised the French army never really adopted the dauphin.

I believe the French have used Puma, Super Puma, and NH-90 in that role.

question, will this function for the French army similar to how the Blackhawk serves the US Army?

Although the H160M isn’t in the same class as a Puma/NH90/Blackhawk, it will be able to take over some missions that previously required a larger transport helicopter, e.g.

- Fire support
- Airborne command post
- Immediate extraction of downed aircrews
- Medevac
- Liaison missions
- Light resupply

This will allow the Army to focus those larger helicopters on actual transport missions.

The main difference is to offer coherent ballistics protection and having a power module and rotor system accurately sized for a military mission...

With no modifications to the engines power output, weak ballistic protection and the same main and torque rotors, the H-160 just promise to be another sluggish inadapted beast from AirbusM.

I am disappointed they didn't even try to go for the more tailored H-175.

And that nose... What the heck are that extra useless 2m of designer wet dream?

Last edited: