• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Airbus Helicopters H160 (formerly X4)

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
This is not new for France. It should work fine... Maybe the US Coast Guard will need new helicopters. B)
With the current MH-65 rebuilds, not until the mid-2030s, supposedly.
Airbus might persuade senior civilians with the USCG otherwise.
I really doubt there will be any money. There's a reason they didn't buy new this time around and not for the lack of wanting a new helo.

RavenOne

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Also officially there is order for 4 x SAR platforms for the Aeronavale. The French Armament General Directorate (DGA) is to supply four H160s to the French Navy for search and rescue missions through a partnership between Airbus Helicopters, Babcock, and Safran Helicopter Engines.

This suggests to me a Little of the UK COMR - Commercial Owned Military Rotorcraft..program

cheers

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Was there ever any RFP issued? IMOHO a Puplic/private partnership to fill a public service need would have legally required one.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Was there ever any RFP issued? IMOHO a Puplic/private partnership to fill a public service need would have legally required one.
"My Lord...is that legal?"

"I will make it legal."

MihoshiK

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
IIRC not for defense purposes. Any RFP related to Defense is a courtesy, and once issued must be followed, but an EU country can just say "I want that" and be done with it.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Search & rescue is civilian. COMBAT Search & rescue is military. The French Navy field a public services mission for sea search & rescue. Those are not combat helo and does not constitue a defense sovereign force.

See here (In French) :

So we are where I said we were.

Last edited:

MihoshiK

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Search & rescue is civilian. COMBAT Search & rescue is military. The French Navy field a public services mission for sea search & rescue. Those are not combat helo and does not constitue a defense sovereign force.

See here (In French) :

So we are where I said we were.
French. Navy.

That's defense. It might be a public service, but it still falls under the ministry of defense.

Also holy shit, that website comes straight out of the nineties.