Airbus AFJT - Trainer project 2020

I used to be a fan of Mako as Europe "entry door" into full stealth shapes... 20 years ago. In 2002. The project despite a full size mockup has been buried since then, unfortunately. Heck I even modeled a 1/72 scale one, from a F-35, back in the day.
do you know that the airbus AFJT is based on a cold war CASA project called the CASA ATX wich was made in the 70s-80s along with the casa AX fighter jet project

do not, so thank you !
Never knew but there's even a thread of it in SPF.

do you know that the airbus AFJT is based on a cold war CASA project called the CASA ATX wich was made in the 70s-80s along with the casa AX fighter jet project
Though that project had not much to do with the CASA transonic trainer of the 90s and 00s did it? They seem to have had quite a different configuration.

do not, so thank you !
Never knew but there's even a thread of it in SPF.

Though that project had not much to do with the CASA transonic trainer of the 90s and 00s did it? They seem to have had quite a different configuration.
it is an upgraded version of the ATX

Airbus and Leonardo have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to jointly promote integrated training systems and study the future solutions to tackle Air Dominance challenges.

Under this collaboration, both companies will jointly address and pursue business opportunities for the provision of advanced training systems leveraging on M-346 proven experience, thanks to over 100,000 flight hours performed worldwide by the aircraft. Airbus and Leonardo will also explore deepening ties and industrial cooperation to tackle future military pilot training domains. All based on cooperation and synergies on specific platforms and programs, also in the framework of a broader European and International collaboration.

Announcement on Paris Air Show last month. Although its just a MOU and the scope is currently limited to the ITS of M-346, I see that AFJT could just as well be dead. There were other reports that Spanish Air Force will soon start the tender to replace the F-5s. This MOU is also probably there to prepare an adequate training solution for NGF as well, especially considering how an updated ITS will be integral for such role. This obviouly only true if France doesn't want to develop a successor to the Alpha Jet, which they seem to be uninterested of at least for now.

Doesnt look like they ever defined an engine. No serious program moves ahead without an engine to build around. They should have licensed T-50 and custmized it for Airbus partners using the EJ200 core. (France was never going to buy it.). It looks like Airbus settled on marketing T-50 for KAI.

Last edited:
Doesnt look like they ever defined an engine. No serious program moves ahead with an engine to build around. They should have licensed T-50 and custmized it for Airbus partners using the EJ200 core. (France was never going to buy it.). It looks like Airbus settled on marketing T-50 for KAI.
Seems like Airbus is trying to partner up with both KAI and Leonardo. There were links with KAI since he end of last year and although I can't find any formal reports about it, there was a Korean defnce industry reporter who've reported about ongoing discussion between KAI and Airbus.

As for the T-50, Airbus actually seems more interested in FA-50 and that for obvious reasons if wee see the past T-50 variant sales figures.

Resurrection of MAKO seems nice
hi , i have a question does anyone knows the single unit price of the airbus afjt ? (i searched on internet for so long but i couldnt find anything except that it will have low maintenance cost and also low operation cost.