Airbus AFJT - Trainer project 2020

What I mean is - is there a market for something
- without a propeller and faster than a PC-21
- yet neither a T-50 or a M-346 with a big engine, stealth, and supersonic speed ?

Something with straight wings, 3000 pounds thrust small turbofan(s), and definitively subsonic, mach 0.9, only supersonic in a deep dive ?

Note that Leonardo themselves tried to bring back the S.211, but it seemingly went nowhere...

So I ask - is there some kind of market for something like the M-345 nowadays ?

I really don't understand what is happening to the trainer market. Notably, to the standard, subsonic jet trainer.

A basic, subsonic, non stealth jet trainer to replace the Hawk and Alphajet, is still nowhere to be found.

What are your thoughts on some of the newer developments, such as the L-39NG, M-345, Textron Scorpion?

- yet neither a T-50 or a M-346 with a big engine, stealth, and supersonic speed ?

Something with straight wings, 3000 pounds thrust small turbofan(s), and definitively subsonic, mach 0.9, only supersonic in a deep dive ?

Note that Leonardo themselves tried to bring back the S.211, but it seemingly went nowhere...

Just a WAG, but I'd say no. It seems like the market has shaken out to high performance turboprops and low supersonic jets. And considering how, at least in Western air forces, the trend has been away from subsonic attack aircraft to supersonic multirole aircraft, it makes sense that they'd want a trainer capable of reaching supersonic speeds. Any jet training they're doing for transports, tankers and VIP stuff is being covered by small business jets.

I really don't understand what is happening to the trainer market. Notably, to the standard, subsonic jet trainer.

A basic, subsonic, non stealth jet trainer to replace the Hawk and Alphajet, is still nowhere to be found.

What are your thoughts on some of the newer developments, such as the L-39NG, M-345, Textron Scorpion?

see my post above - M-345 ;)

Just a WAG, but I'd say no. It seems like the market has shaken out to high performance turboprops and low supersonic jets. And considering how, at least in Western air forces, the trend has been away from subsonic attack aircraft to supersonic multirole aircraft, it makes sense that they'd want a trainer capable of reaching supersonic speeds. Any jet training they're doing for transports, tankers and VIP stuff is being covered by small business jets.
Looking at Italian air force procurement I would guess aircraft like the M-345 are not a gap filler between fast turpoprop and "super" trainer but more an equivalent of the former. IMO the point is today a large part of the fighter pilot training is complex avionic system management, there's no point in investing in performance greater than that of a turboprop without getting the avionic simulation capabilities of the top of the line trainer that require an aircraft at least as complex as a T-50 or a M-346. However with an engine generating 5000 kg of thrust this AFJT should be more an M-346 equivalent than an intermediate type.

Hood,

My notes say that Airbus’ most recent market estimate is for 800 advanced trainer/LIFT aircraft (excluding aggressors, etc.), which chimes with what Aeralis and Boeing have said.

Spain want 50-55 AFJTs, and France would probably want a similar number. You might even see Germany abandon its long term training presence in the USA, while Finland has also been cited as a near-term prospect. It’s starting to look like a decent number.

I don’t recall suggesting that M-346 is ‘inferior’ to T-50 – I said that both were ‘flawed’ and that both were DESIGNED in the mid-1990s, using aerodynamic, design and production engineering practises from that time.

I would take issue with your flat statement that Hawk is unlikely to achieve more sales. More for Qatar is a VERY distinct possibility, for example.

I would also suggest that the shift in emphasis from turboprop basic trainers to advanced jet trainers has already started – and that not everyone will want LIFT (Phase 4), some will just want Advanced (Phase 3). Supersonic performance is useful for one of those, less so for the other.

Supersonic performance, per se, is unnecessary for advanced training. Whenever the US wants to cut cost or streamline training, the single supersonic T-38 hop in the syllabus is always the one to be dropped.

However, supersonic speed is relevant to the light fighter derivatives of advanced trainers, and the kind of sustained turn performance required in both frontline and advanced training roles does require the kind of thrust/weight ratios that might be associated with supersonic performance, and might require afterburner.

I’m not sure that I’d class T-7A as anything other than a home-grown US product, despite Saab’s significant input on the design/production engineering side.

There aren’t many examples of fighter deals being accompanied by trainer sales, but there are some, and BAE have certainly found the ability to offer Typhoon/Hawk useful, and customers have liked it. As well as Saudi Arabia, Oman, and Qatar, we saw the Bahraini and Emirati Typhoon bids incorporating Hawk options, and that was seen as being a useful discriminator.

TomcatViP

It might look more modern, but it really isn’t. No open architecture avionics, no advanced cockpit, no model-based design, nothing like the same ‘training system’ concept, nothing like the same degree of embedded emulation/simulation, etc.

Ceccherini

As above. I don’t dismiss Leonardo’s capabilities (nor KAI’s) but the game has moved on since the M-345 and T-50 were designed (in the late ‘90s). Large area displays, wide area HUDs, helmet sights, embedded simulation and emulation, etc. And the design process has moved on too. Look at the differences between Gripen and Gripen E design and manufacturing, for example.

Archibald

I’m not sure that Dassault would have “certainly rushed toward an Alphajet replacement had the market been lucrative” – I’m not sure they have the capacity to do more than Falcon/Rafale/Neuron nowadays. Bear in mind that the AlphaJet itself was a collaboration.

Nor do I agree that what is needed is a basic, subsonic, non stealth jet trainer to replace the Hawk and Alphajet – non-stealth, certainly, subsonic, perhaps, but you do need agility and representative avionics, and very sophisticated onboard emulation/simulation.

Finally, I’d disagree that there has been only “very vague informations available on this new project.” Dig a little, dig out your Spanish translation app, look back at presentations from conferences, etc. and there seems to be more than you might think.

Archibald.

There are a number of markets for which lighter, cheaper jet trainers are viable - sometimes for Advanced (Phase 3) training, and sometimes as an alternative to turboprops for Basic (Phase 2) training. Interestingly, what was then called the M-311 was liked a great deal when the RAF initially looked at new basic trainers, and Aeralis propose a jet basic trainer as part of their modular concept.

Helix 88

The L-39NG looks interesting – perhaps especially as an alternative to Chinese jet trainers.

SSgtC

I’d respectfully disagree. I don’t believe that supersonic performance is necessary in an advanced trainer or LIFT. Nor do I think that performance greater than a PC-21 is unnecessary without getting advanced “avionic simulation capabilities”, the latter is vital, I believe, but so is enough performance to make the world go by ‘quickly’ – even the PC-21 (far and away the fastest of the turboprops) doesn’t adequately prepare pilots for a fast jet cockpit. Can it perform some of the Advanced syllabus? Sure. But all of it, up to OCU? Not adequately is what my QFI pals tell me.

SSgtC

I’d respectfully disagree. I don’t believe that supersonic performance is necessary in an advanced trainer or LIFT. Nor do I think that performance greater than a PC-21 is unnecessary without getting advanced “avionic simulation capabilities”, the latter is vital, I believe, but so is enough performance to make the world go by ‘quickly’ – even the PC-21 (far and away the fastest of the turboprops) doesn’t adequately prepare pilots for a fast jet cockpit. Can it perform some of the Advanced syllabus? Sure. But all of it, up to OCU? Not adequately is what my QFI pals tell me.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not suggesting a either/or approach. What I meant was, that IMO, western air forces are likely to go with a high performance turboprop and a low supersonic aircraft for advanced training and LIFT instead of buying a turboprop, a subsonic trainer and a supersonic trainer.

Hongdu JL-8/K-8 Karakorum is still in production and still selling, albeit not in huge numbers....in service with 14 nations.

Last edited:
The fleets of older turboprop trainers (PC-7s, PC-9s, vanilla Tucanos, early T-6s, Orliks) and older basic/Phase 2 S-211s, MB339s, L-39s are all in need of immediate or imminent replacement, as are any remaining AlphaJets, most first gen Hawks (Pre Hawk 60 series), all F-5s and T-38s used in an advanced training role, etc.

This represents a really healthy market for potential new basic training aircraft and for advanced trainers.

In both categories, what is needed are modern, state-of-the-art trainers, with cutting edge cockpits, onboard sensors and/or emulated/simulated systems, optimised for low operating costs, designed for modern support, logistics and sustainment arrangements, with cockpits optimised for a wider range of anthro models (with the growing number of female pilots). And designed from the outset for modern low cost manufacturing techniques and for a compressed DT&E cycle, further reducing cost. This is what sets aircraft like the T-7A and AFJT apart from older generation trainers like the T-50 and M-346, and Hawk T.Mk 2/AJT. This is how Boeing were able to ensure that the all-new T-7A could beat the existing, fully amortised T-50 and M-346 on price. It's what Northop and Scaled tried to do with the Model 400. It isn't about LO, performance, or configuration.

The T-7A is a generation apart from its competitors - and the new AFJT represents the first same-generation alternative to the Boeing jet.

Some may question my listing the Hawk T.Mk 2/AJT alongside the T-50 and M-346. Aerodynamically less refined, with less impressive performance and high Alpha handling, the Hawk looks outclassed if you use the simplistic 'Top Trumps' criteria that enthusiasts love. And there is no doubt that the Hawk is expensive to build, and to support and sustain, though BAE are able to compensate for this (to some degree) by their highly developed availability based incentivised support offerings, tuned by support contracts for Nimrod, Tornado and especially TyTAN for Typhoon. And 'under the hood' looking at the Training System rather than the airframe/engine package, with all the embedded sensor emulation, onboard simulation, and ability to be linked to training devices on the ground, the almost embarrassingly elderly Hawk suddenly looks almost 'next gen' next to the T-50 and M-346. It isn't, but AFJT really is.

If we consider that the USAF did their home works right, aside from the avionics side, any advanced trainer need to be slightly supersonic, have high subsonic manoeuvring capabilities, be able to reach safely 25+ angle of attack, do flat 6g turns and be able to climb to manoeuvring alt quickly.
This has shaped Northrop and Boeing design. Boeing won as they could reach those performances at a lower cost and expected lower sustainement cost.

With the single verticals (gigantic - monobloc ? ), it's the AoA that are inexplicably compromised. With the radar set in front, it's the buy cost and sustainment cost that are in geopardy.

Mako was designed for very high AoA at the time (40+ from my memory). It was a full digital design as much as could be done at the time (Catia models are easily upgradable). It was (at least initially) a light weight design meaning it has a high climb rate and sustained turn abilities and low sustainement cost (what certainly killed it past management change).
Obviously the avionics set would love to see a refresh.

It was my opinion that haven't Mako been canceled, USAF trainees would fly them in number by today.

Last edited:
And 'under the hood' looking at the Training System rather than the airframe/engine package, with all the embedded sensor emulation, onboard simulation, and ability to be linked to training devices on the ground, the almost embarrassingly elderly Hawk suddenly looks almost 'next gen' next to the T-50 and M-346. It isn't, but AFJT really is.
"The M-346 is the core of an ITS that includes a complete Ground Based Training System (GBTS), comprising simulators, academics, mission planning system and computer-based training management system. In order to maximise aircraft availability and mission generation, the Aircraft Division has developed and offers a dedicated Integrated Logistic Support (ILS) package."
" The Embedded Tactical Training Simulation (ETTS) allows the M-346 to emulate on-board sensors, weapons, Computer Generated Forces (CGF) as well as allowing pilots to interact in real time with a virtual tactical scenario in a Live (aircraft in flight), Virtual (simulators) and Constructive (ETTS) - LVC environment, further enhancing flexibility and cost reduction."
Maybe you should stop this flow of posts based on false premises and fanboy's like conjectures. T-50 and M-346 are state of the art, top of the line trainers both part of a last generation integrated training system that is fully adequate for the need of the most advanced airforces for the decades to come, and this is a plain fact. This new AFJT could be as good as or ever somewhat better than the two aforementioned planes but it will not introduce radically different capabilities, for the simple reason that there is no significant additional capability over existing trainers that is required. It is the expression of legitimate Spain's industrial policies considerations and could be or could not be a profitable venture but certainly it doesn't cover a market segment without existing, comparable, fully adequate offers.

Last edited:
Ceccherini

I've spoken to QFIs who have flown the Hawk T2 and the M346. The Hawk's embedded simulation package is significantly more advanced. (As is that of the PC-21, interestingly).

I'm not a Hawk or AFJT fanboy, I'm an industry professional, I've had briefings on all of the types we're talking about (except the Northrop 400!), and I'm not dealing with conjecture. Nor am I allowing myself to be swayed by nationalistic or chauvinistic concerns - I am not Spanish. And I'm not anti-Italian in any way - I'm a big fan of the M-345, for example, though I fear it may not achieve the success it deserves.

If anyone is a fanboy, it's you, with your illogical attachment to the T-50 (a scaled down F-16) and the M-346 (a warmed over Yak-130). No advanced air force has bought the T-50 - indeed it was rejected by Poland, Singapore, Israel, the UAE and the US. The M-346 has been more successful, but largely as a result of its low purchase price, and it has scored no recent export successes.

The USAF found the T-7A to be a generation ahead of the T-50 and M-346, which should surprise no-one, since it was designed 25 f*cking years later.

Nor should it be a surprise that Airbus might be able to bring a similarly advanced trainer project to fruition.

And because of advanced design and manufacturing, these more advanced trainers will be cheaper than their older competitors, cheaper to operate and support, and more capable.

Tomcat ViP,

I wouldn't assume that the USAF did all of its home work right. No QFI I have spoken to believes that supersonic performance is necessary, though subsonic manoeuvring may demand a high thrust-to-weight ratio. There is no training requirement to reach very high angles of attack.

Northrop lost because they messed up, and their aircraft had unacceptable handling deficiencies - low cost and low sustainment costs were not a problem.

Modern lightweight (even AESA) radars are not prohibitively expensive.

Mako was a great performer, but it lacked the avionics required today, and would have been expensive to buy, operate and sustain. Had anyone bought it, they'd now be looking with envy at the less glamorous but eminently more practical T-7A, and perhaps also at the AFJT.

Northrop lost because they messed up, and their aircraft had unacceptable handling deficiencies - low cost and low sustainment costs were not a problem.

Interesting . . . Do you have anything you could share with us ?

cheers,
Robin.

I'm working on the full story of the Swift, which should encompass that, which I understand was just one of the reasons why it was junked after so few flights.

To be honest I'm surprised that NATO or France-Germany haven't attempted a more unified training pattern building on NFTC-style models in Europe. That could really bring savings and allow a unified fleet.

Weather? That's the usual excuse offered by Germany for its continuing use of USAF T-38s in sunny Texas!

I sense a small market, even Airbus itself is only forecasting a market of 300-500 airframes which is quite small (when Hawk was launched they were looking at world markets of 3,000+). Airbus seems happy to let Spain take the lead, its not trying to feed into broader European supply chains, it very much sees this as a low-risk regional project.
Hawks will need replacing 2020-2040 timeframe, but the current M-346/T-50 operators won't need new kit for some time, so coming at the tail end of the current crop the market is limited to those nations still using Alpha Jets and Hawks.

And MB339s, and F-5s, and T-38s, and Saab Sk60s, and those who 'farm out' their training, and those who want something better than a K-8, etc. The market starts to look much bigger.

@Jackonicko : since USAF trainer entrants needed to be able to manoeuvre at high subsonic speed while loosing a minimum of altitude (to maximize the number of exercises achieved per flight), being supersonic was an inherent capability. Early on during the competition, no descending turn was specified as being allowed and that made the 346 unable to fulfill the prerequisites (I noticed that cross checking Leonardo documentation) . This was amanded later in.

You also need a representative climb rate. An afterburner is then a cheap way to achieve this, no matter how incredibly counter-intuitive it might be ;)

Regarding the 345, I do agree (and said that often) that it's a neat package to help pilots build their jet hours at a low cost. It's the perfect Alphajet follow-on.

Last edited:
What the USAF specify and what is actually needed are not always the same thing.

Nor does sufficient thrust to sutain high g level turns necessarily imply supersonic capability. Take a Fouga Magister. You could give it enough thrust for it to turn at 9 g until the fuel ran out, but however much thrust it had, that plank wing would ensure that it never bothered the Mach!

My main concern with AFJT is that Airbus seems happy to let the project be a national one to boost the Spanish aircraft industry. That's very laudable and I'm sure they will do a good job of it, but as you have alluded to yourself the avionics and simulation package is going to have to be top-notch to win export sales beyond the capabilities of the airframe, air forces buy a complete training package, not just a fancy airframe. So its odd that Airbus haven't teamed up with some of the bigger players in the field if they are really serious about tackling the training market as opposed to dabbling at a smaller level and hoping for some local sales.

Your point with the weather is a good one, but perhaps not the only major factor. The ENJJPT looked at several options for bases and new aircraft but NATO never had any real resources to actually buy anything or settle bases in Southern Europe, so since the 1980s they have just stuck with the 80th FTW. NATO did look at Mako but it went nowhere. It seems very unlikely that the northern NATO tier can ever wean itself off the USAF training programme - which I guess would hamper any joint Franco-German plans for example to capitalise on SCAF with an integrated training programme.

The Hawk package is top notch but the airframe and Adour are probably at the limits of what can be achieved (reliability of both is not what it was), the Advanced Hawk seems to have sunk without trace, even in India. But with the prospect of extended life due to Australian efforts to increase the fatigue life, there is plenty of life left in the Hawk yet. It just might not appeal to new buyers as it once did, make no mistake the Hawk is a true legend - far more so that the other types that hog the limelight in the British aviation aficionados' minds.

Air forces never know what they want! The RAF went through a whole series of quite odd choices that seemed a good at the time during their training history, thankfully most of those ideas died before they did any real damage - the Percival Prentice perhaps being the design that most paid the price of Air Staff choices.

@Hood : going national (limiting cross-borders share of work) might also help gulping a larger share of national incentives. That way, Airbus as a whole will lower their investments in Spain during the crisis and that would alleviate any increase in cost resulting from the pandemic (plus that might alleviate risk with the WTO).

The counter-effect comes from the propension of such motivated project to be a bonanza for every business with enough connections to force their product in. For example, the radar set.

Last edited:

I've largely forgot about is aircraft but got reminded by the recent development in the sector. I was quite surprised to know that the project is still well alive. Aeralis are also making progress it seems, as written on its own respective thread. One thing to note is that there's another source(by a forum member no less,) which mentions that AFJT will not replace the C-101(PC-21s will, according to the said article) but only the F-5Ms unlike what is mentioned in the Defense News article. Who's right, I don't know.

Last edited:

I've largely forgot about is aircraft but got reminded by some recent proceedings. I was quite surprised to know that the project is still well alive and healthy. Aeralis are also making progress it seems.
Seeing that Mexico had representatives there honestly made me chuckle. They have, what? 3 or 4 ancient F-5Es in their air force? They could definitely use new fighters, but how in the hell are they gonna pay for them? They went 2+ years (2017-2019, at least) without any airworthy fighters because they couldn't afford to maintain the planes they had

I've largely forgot about is aircraft but got reminded by some recent proceedings. I was quite surprised to know that the project is still well alive and healthy. Aeralis are also making progress it seems.
Seeing that Mexico had representatives there honestly made me chuckle. They have, what? 3 or 4 ancient F-5Es in their air force? They could definitely use new fighters, but how in the hell are they gonna pay for them? They went 2+ years (2017-2019, at least) without any airworthy fighters because they couldn't afford to maintain the planes they had
Same thoughts SSftC. Besides, why wait for a combat variant of AFJT if there are so many options already in the market, already in operation?

Same thoughts SSftC. Besides, why wait for a combat variant of AFJT if there are so many options already in the market, already in operation?
My guess? The government needs to look like they're addressing the issue, exploring getting new fighters, without actually spending the money. Looking at say, the FA-50 you don't have a ready made excuse for why you didn't buy it beyond, "it's too expensive." Which is hilarious given how cheap it actually is. But looking at something like the Airbus? "We would love to buy this wonderful aircraft! It meets all our needs! Unfortunately, it won't be ready for 15 years." In other words, "we did our job, now let's kick the can down the road for the next government to deal with."

What's wrong with the Mako?

eads_mako_1.jpg

What's wrong with the Mako?

eads_mako_1.jpg
AFJT for what is known, has not much to do with MAKO. MAKO was largely a German project with a European touch, you know, and from my perspective AFJT resembles more of the old CASA transonic trainer aircraft from the early 2000s, resurrected and modernized. All in all, a different lineage.

My guess? The government needs to look like they're addressing the issue, exploring getting new fighters, without actually spending the money. Looking at say, the FA-50 you don't have a ready made excuse for why you didn't buy it beyond, "it's too expensive." Which is hilarious given how cheap it actually is. But looking at something like the Airbus? "We would love to buy this wonderful aircraft! It meets all our needs! Unfortunately, it won't be ready for 15 years." In other words, "we did our job, now let's kick the can down the road for the next government to deal with."
Could just as well be, although I'm not sure if Mexican public or politicians are all that interested in their AF in the first place since they have and had other more serious internal security concerns for quite a while... Unless, you know, they plan to use the new jets, if they ever buy one, inland just like the Filipinos. I doubt that.

Mexico has been spending money on aircraft, they have a large new fleet of T-6C+ and a handful of Embraer AEW&C. The small fleet of F-5Es has been placed on the backburner, but there is a need for a new aircraft to replace them. Back in 2012 the Mexican Navy even flirted with the idea of buying new Su-27s. This Spanish trainer would fill the F-5 replacement niche pretty well, other options being Gripens, T-7s, or surplus F-16/F-18s. Based on recent purchasing trends and experience with ex-Israeli E-2s, Mexico is likely to lean towards new built aircraft over second hand ones.

Mexico has been spending money on aircraft, they have a large new fleet of T-6C+ and a handful of Embraer AEW&C. The small fleet of F-5Es has been placed on the backburner, but there is a need for a new aircraft to replace them. Back in 2012 the Mexican Navy even flirted with the idea of buying new Su-27s. This Spanish trainer would fill the F-5 replacement niche pretty well, other options being Gripens, T-7s, or surplus F-16/F-18s. Based on recent purchasing trends and experience with ex-Israeli E-2s, Mexico is likely to lean towards new built aircraft over second hand ones.
Guess I stand corrected about my observations. Maybe they are also thinking about replacing some of their COIN aircrafts with more capable jets ala combat variant of AFJT? Although to my knowledge, there are no official plans about a combat variant just yet, albeit it will very likely happen.

If Mexico were to purchase any, it would be combat capable versions, since they would be mainly used for air policing. I presume adapting the planes for Sidewinders and gun pods should be fairly easy and straightforward. The T-6C+ can handle the COIN side pretty well.

Given the relatively small number of aircraft involved but their likely required relatively high spec (for Eurofighter and F-35 lead in trainers and light combat roles - essentially we would be talking about a light fighter in capability terms) then this looks entirely economically unviable unless you can muster up relatively large number of guaranteed sales. Far more than Spain (and Mexico?) can generate.

If a number of NATO and/ or EU members were to pool their requirements then their might be at least a viable basis (though still likely requiring additional exports to hit break-even and to go into profit).

Given the limited sales of current aircraft competing in this niche and the likely impact of the US T-7 as it enters US service and becomes available for export customers then a new competitor without such an order book looks most likely never to reach service.

Probably that they can instead seriously attempt to fix the A400 this time if they do really have nothing to do?

Despite some problematic programs Airbus (even their Airbus Military division) are not in the business of intentionally planning to loose money.
Maybe Airbus could see it as an investment in case other potential customers emerge down the line - but as noted above without something more definitive in terms of orders beyond a small Spanish buy any such “investment” would be very highly speculative.

Or Airbus just charge the Spanish government the actual development and production costs? Its the Government's choice to spend that extra money above buying something lower cost.

I used to be a fan of Mako as Europe "entry door" into full stealth shapes... 20 years ago. In 2002. The project despite a full size mockup has been buried since then, unfortunately. Heck I even modeled a 1/72 scale one, from a F-35, back in the day.