Agusta A118 compound helicopter project

ando

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I found info about the A118 compound helicopter project (circa 1960) in a book (in Italian) on history of Italian contributions to mechanical engineering, with an interesting chapter devoted to helicopters. Further material, including the real blueprints, should be available at the museum of Agusta, right outside the main historical plant at Cascina Costa di Samarate (VA), Italy, in what used to be count Agusta's villa. It presents substantial similarities with the Kamov Ka-22 Vintokryl, which flew at about the same time, and had comparable size.
A118-front.png
A118-side.png
A118-top.png

Welcome aboard Ando,

and maybe that is the source ?;

1945-1960 I trasporti aerei in Italia dalla guerra all'era del getto - di Paolo GIANVANNI - Edizioni

Thanks, Hesham.

Well, not exactly. I think that design is slightly later, 1961 or 1962, but it might well be in there as well. I got it from a very recent book, "STORIA DELLA MECCANICA",
a cura di Virginio Cantoni, 2014. There's a chapter, "L’evoluzione della tecnologia dell’ala rotante e il contributo di Agusta Westland", by Roberto Garberi, who at the time was the curator of the Agusta museum.

Best