Accidental photos of Losharik (АС-12/Project 10831) submarine?

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
http://sputniknews.com/military/20150112/1016805883.html

http://defence-blog.com/?p=2790

I suppose stranger things have happened, but still, I'm a bit suspicious.

Yes, definitely Losharik. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have some analysis and illustrations for my blog but slow progress. :D

Offtopic:
the name of the project comes from Soviet animation movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYdwedOCWuA

"Losharik" - combination of "Horse" and "Small ball" in Russian.
This word first appears in the above mentioned animation.

Quite original name for super secret sub :cool:

P.S. Thank for the post, I first time see this intriguing vessel.

Attachments

• sovetskiy_multfim_losharik.JPG
    sovetskiy_multfim_losharik.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 315
donnage99 said:
Is/are there american equivalence to this sub?

IMHO, there is not directly an american equivalence to this Russian submarine, but the Deep Submergence Vessel NR-1 did similar deep sea missions.
A successor "NR-2" was part of a study done by the RAND Corporation in 2002.
Link: http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1395.html
I think, the US Navy now uses deep sea RUVs for these missions, launched either from ships at sea level or under water from the USS Jimmy Carter (SSN-23).

My attempt at illustrating her. The speed should say about 15kts, will change that when I get the chance. 30kts is what you find on the internet but no way it's correct.

ZOBw35G.jpg

Fuller article at http://www.hisutton.com/Spy%20Sub%20-%20Project%2010831%20Losharik.html

Apparently an incident concerning Losharik, with the reported loss of 14 of her crew.

Russia Says 14 Sailors Die in Fire on Underwater Vessel
by Stepan Kravchenko - Bloomberg News
2-July-2019 - 12:26PM (EDT)

Russia said 14 sailors died when a fire broke out in a submersible research vessel, the worst naval incident in more than a decade.

The Russian Defense Ministry said the sailors died from smoke inhalation in the blaze that broke out Monday on board the vessel, the Interfax news service reported. The vessel is linked to a secret nuclear submarine project known as Losharik, RBC news website reported, citing a person it didn’t identify.

President Vladimir Putin pulled out of a planned event on tourism Tuesday in order to meet with Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu about the sailors’ deaths, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.

The crew were performing biometric measurements in Russian territorial waters in the deep-sea submersible that’s designed to study the ocean floor, Interfax reported, citing the Defense Ministry, which gave no details of the cause of the incident or the vessel involved. The submersible is now at the Russian Northern Fleet’s Severomorsk base in the Murmansk region on the Barents Sea coast, Tass reported.

The incident is the worst since 20 died on a Nerpa nuclear submarine in 2008. The Losharik submarine can operate at a depth of 6,000 meters (20,000 feet), according to RBC. The submarine has a titanium housing and had been used for research on the continental shelf, Izvestia newspaper reported in 2012.

Russia’s Investigative Committee said in a website statement that it has begun an inquiry into the deaths. A Defense Ministry spokesman didn’t immediately respond to a phone call seeking comment.

There are some sources indicating a weapons firing confrontation between Russian and USA submarines, related to this story. The original story on Debka
has been pulled, but my Israeli contacts say that may be part of a very high level cover up by both governments. Does anyone have any reasonably reliable
sources that confirm a weapons firing incident and if so, any details, including the possibility of a USA vessel lost with no casullties?
Artie Bob

Debka is a terrible source and has no logical reason to have access to either US or Russian insiders on this. If they felt compelled to retract something it must be terribly poorly sourced.

Western media in its typical rotten repertoire.

"Western media in its typical rotten repertoire." Since the Putin statement apparently came from Russia, the "rotten" western media may not be to blame. As for Debka, I consider it to be a very "right wing" Israeli site and take it with "a grain of salt". However, in the past, it has been the first to break stories that later were confirmed. My news gathering technique relies on trying to find sources with differing points of view and then analyzing those to hopefully find some level of understanding. Summarrily discarding sources as "terrible" and "rotten" may , in the end, one may miss something really important. When teaching my students about critical thinking, my advice to them is that when they are absolutely certain they know what is going on, they are probably wrong, because they have closed their minds to accepting other viewpoints which may be valid. Now, if someone has any sources that they think might have some useful information, I would like to see it. If all you have are jingoistic pontififications, please do not waste my time.

"

"Western media in its typical rotten repertoire." Since the Putin statement apparently came from Russia, the "rotten" western media may not be to blame. As for Debka, I consider it to be a very "right wing" Israeli site and take it with "a grain of salt". However, in the past, it has been the first to break stories that later were confirmed. My news gathering technique relies on trying to find sources with differing points of view and then analyzing those to hopefully find some level of understanding. Summarrily discarding sources as "terrible" and "rotten" may , in the end, one may miss something really important. When teaching my students about critical thinking, my advice to them is that when they are absolutely certain they know what is going on, they are probably wrong, because they have closed their minds to accepting other viewpoints which may be valid. Now, if someone has any sources that they think might have some useful information, I would like to see it. If all you have are jingoistic pontififications, please do not waste my time.

"

The post above yours was particular silly being as both articles were mostly quoting the Russian state. Seems to suggest the poster hadn’t even read them.

Last edited:
critical thinking
Seems to suggest the poster hadn’t even read them.
The only persons who obviously did not read these articles is both of you. How can you blame me of not being able to think critically if you don’t have such skill? Is in official Russian statements sounded even a grain of lie? There was a tragedy and a statement about it was made just in a day, when all the details of this tragedy became known. Did the government try to hide something? No. Has the government tried to diminish the scale of the tragedy? No. Did the government try to hide the fact of the tragedy from the relatives? No. The government did not make public the names of the victims? Their names are not your damn business. Their names became known almost immediately, since some scum dared to reveal them, regardless of the opinions of the relatives of the dead and the interests of the State.
Both of you are victims of violence on your brain made by the creators of the "Chernobyl" series. And I feel sorry for you.

PS: People who swallowed lies about Operation Crossroads, the Desert Rock exercises, Three Mile Island, the Bhopal catastrophe, Westinghouse participation in the Fukushima disaster, teach someone to think critically and accuse other governments of concealing the truth. What's wrong with this world?

Last edited:
As for Debka
Debka states that Losharik was intercepted near Alaska, and the wounded sailors were sent to a hospital in Severomorsk. Did you study geography in school or :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:? What is a "Balkan-2000 torpedo"? Russia flooded the American submarine? Why is the American government silent about this? Hiding the truth from the American people? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:? Is this the pluralism of opinions, when :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: can freely express their opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is going political only. Please try to keep conversation into the forum subject otherwise it should be closed.

QuadroFX,
I resent the name calling and rudeness of your posts. A simple request for more information about a somewhat questionable
incident has evoked a totally irrational and non-proportinal response, which in no way has answered my original question.
You probably know nothing about my background or reasons for asking the question nor possibly do not understand nuances
or idioms in my texts, perhaps not having English as a first language. However, your rudeness and vulgarity do come through
quite clearly, transcending whatever your native culture and language might be.
I do not believe that most people would consider me a "F.. I.." This week I completed teaching an engineering course at
the local university. Even though I am over 80 years old, they ask me to do it again every year. I have been working now
for over 70 years on 5 continents and a bunch of islands, so maybe I know at least a little about the world.
And yes, you have wasted my time, but I believe that terrible responses such as yours should not go unanswered, so
the time was taken to call you out and point out that such irrelevant and crude postings can be the undoing of really
useful websites, one of them being Secret Projects.

William A. Medcalf PEME (retired) aka Artie Bob

Interesting story by Kommersant: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4039718 with details of the fire-fighting aboard Losharik and claiming Russia had to replace the original Ukrainian built batteries with Russian built lithium ion ones (it's not clear from the google translated article what the original batteries were, but that might be clearer in the original Russian). Difficult to judge the reliability of their source, but nothing sounds particularly outrageous.