about armstrong whitworth F9/35

airman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
zeef.com
about armstrong whitworth F9/35 : all i haven't found on british secret projects : anyone have more informations about engines a.w. terrier ? ??? ???

Hi Airman,

Did you mean that you were looking for details on the evolved AW 34, Armstrong Whitworth submission for F9/35? Or are you just looking for info on Armstrong Siddeley's Terrier engine?

All I know about the Terrier is that it was a two-row air-cooled radial design. (I'm guessing that the Terrier was related to the AS Tiger but don't know for sure).

FWIW, the AW 34 was a 39-to-47 foot span (depending upon source) twin-engined taildragger with a two-machinegun turret. Another twin Terrier design (to G.24/35, Botha and Beaufort) was the Avro Type 672 (sort of an enlarged recce bomber Anson).

AW 34 2-view modified from Air International Vol41, No1 (July 1991)

Attachments

• aw34.jpg
    aw34.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 344
i know paintings of AW34 specification project F9/35 because i have book of Tony Butler buyed on Ibs.it (an online italian library - famous).
A ipotetical built AW 34 i imagine it with AW Tiger as the first engines of A.W.38 Whitley.

airman said:
i know paintings of AW34 specification project F9/35 because i have book of Tony Butler buyed on Ibs.it (an online italian library - famous).
A ipotetical built AW 34 i imagine it with AW Tiger as the first engines of A.W.38 Whitley.

Could you please share this Italian library web site with us?

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
airman said:

Could you please share this Italian library web site with us?

Regards
Pioneer
yes it's www.ibs.it
for who like me live in Italy !
When i said :"A ipotetical built AW 34 i imagine it with AW Tiger as the first engines of A.W.38 Whitley" is a my supposition !
Who have more information about Armstrong Whitwhorth Terrier engines post more ...

Note library and bookshop are very different things in English. You borrow books from a library and buy them from a bookshop. This appears to be a bookshop like Amazon.

Apophenia said:
Hi Airman,

Did you mean that you were looking for details on the evolved AW 34, Armstrong Whitworth submission for F9/35? Or are you just looking for info on Armstrong Siddeley's Terrier engine?

All I know about the Terrier is that it was a two-row air-cooled radial design. (I'm guessing that the Terrier was related to the AS Tiger but don't know for sure).

FWIW, the AW 34 was a 39-to-47 foot span (depending upon source) twin-engined taildragger with a two-machinegun turret. Another twin Terrier design (to G.24/35, Botha and Beaufort) was the Avro Type 672 (sort of an enlarged recce bomber Anson).

I'm wondering if the Terrier was related to the A-S non-staggered air-cooled radials, the 15-cylinder Hyena, the 21-cylinder Deerhound and the proposed 24-cylinder Wolfhound?

These are the only other A-S engines with non-feline monikers, with the obvious exception of the Mongoose which is neither.

Jon

I wondered about that too, the timing of the AW 34 is about right for the Deerhound.

As an alternative, might the Terrier have been intended as a smaller diameter companion to the Tiger using Cheetah cylinders? That is: a twin-row, 5.25" bore x 5.5" stroke engine (compared with the Tiger's 5.5" x 6.0").

It was the use of the Terrier in the Anson-related Avro Type 672 that got me wondering about a possible Cheetah relationship.

Apophenia said:
I wondered about that too, the timing of the AW 34 is about right for the Deerhound.

As an alternative, might the Terrier have been intended as a smaller diameter companion to the Tiger using Cheetah cylinders? That is: a twin-row, 5.25" bore x 5.5" stroke engine (compared with the Tiger's 5.5" x 6.0").

It was the use of the Terrier in the Anson-related Avro Type 672 that got me wondering about a possible Cheetah relationship.
than Armstrong Whitworth Terrier could be an unluckely development of Cheetah engines !

Hi Airman,

British Secret Projects: Fighters & Bombers 1935-1945 describes the two-seat fighter development of the AW.34 prepared to the F.9/35 requirement in August 1935 as powered by two Armstrong Siddeley Terrier radial engines. The serial K8624 was applied to the prototype of this design, but the aircraft didn't make it to the hardware phase.

Info on the Terrier engine is available at the following threads:

In any case, the Terrier engine didn't reach the hardware due to cooling problems.