AARGM / VFDR Missiles

I'm struggling to see why the Army will pick it over integrating a similar capability on say the PrSM (which it is already doing to an extent)?

Isn’t it a USN program? If so the containers might be intended for USVs.

I doubt Mk135. Tomahawk's booster is designed around the volume constraints of that round, PrSM's not anywhere near as close to maxxing out a VLS cell and doesn't need to make that compromise when other options are available.

The best way to take PrSM into a maritime environment is via the Palletized field artillery launcher that has a 2 pod x 4PrSM magazine. It can be put on the amphibs and probably also the LCS. The SM-61B, IR-CPS etc would be the best VLS options.

We should really sort things out in this topic zoo of types

Looks like a waste of money. PrsM would do the ground launch mission better and cheaper.
How exactly? Considering it dosnt (nor is there any plans to be as far as I can find) have a anti radiation payload, frankly I bet creating a hole new anti radiation payload would cost about the same as turning AARGM land based.

Also do we know the range and speed of this? Because I'm kinda dubious on wikipedias claim of mach 4 and 300km.

Also do we know the range and speed of this? Because I'm kinda dubious on wikipedias claim of mach 4 and 300km.
It's a claim repeated in official videos. Here it specifies 'more than double' the range of AARGM. It's a 1,000lb missile.

Also, referring back to Ronny's post, that's likely conservative.

1661106722087.png

Except AARGM-ER is not an airbreather...

While those graphs are great for illustrating qualitatively the differences between rocket and ramjet propulsion in general, I think they may be slightly optimistic for this specific case. The SRM baselined here seems to be a boost-glide type, as opposed to boost-sustain or dual-pulse that I'd expect in a long-range ARM.

Says here that it is.

The Navy's FY 2016 budget included funding for an extended range AARGM-ER that uses the existing guidance system and warhead of the AGM-88E with a solid integrated rocket-ramjet to double the range.[28]

Last edited:
Any suggestion on why the leading edge of AARGM-ER is eject able ? Doesn't that make the missile draggier when crusing?
View attachment 646485

I don't think they are ejectable just removable to allow the existing AARGM front-end to be mated to the new SRM.

I just realized that the slide specifically explains this -- the front end (warhead and guidance) can be swapped for a telemetry package and flight termination system (TM/FTS). To do that, you need to be able to demount the guidance section, which entails removing those parts of the strake.

Passage from Iron Hand: Smashing the Enemy's Air Defenses by Anthony M. Thornborough, Frank B. Mormillo, Tony Cassanova, and Kevin Jackson. Space based ELINT/SIGINT cue, briefly mentions the ramjet designs.

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 42
Passage from Iron Hand: Smashing the Enemy's Air Defenses by Anthony M. Thornborough, Frank B. Mormillo, Tony Cassanova, and Kevin Jackson. Space based ELINT/SIGINT cue, briefly mentions the ramjet designs.
They were talking about one of these. The first was the original concept, directly referred to as "AARGM". The second appears AGM-88 sized but I think just to test a different propulsion setup.

AARGM2.jpg

today 2.jpg

Last edited:
Second try, after my morning caffeine.

With a 21-inch booster (either Mk72 or Mk135), ARreS would have some ridiculous kinematics and possibly out-sticks PrSM. But with such a booster, it's bigger than PrSM, not smaller.
Any more info on AReS or a thread?

Must have been some thread rearranging at work.

Anyway, AReS is a proposed ground-launched AARGM derivative.

Last edited:
Says here that it is.

That was 2016. If you read through this thread (especially around posts 90-110) you'll see that the final outcome in 2017 was a sole-source award for Orbital ATK's enlarged solid rocket motor design.

See the slide here especially, from 2019.
Post in thread 'AARGM / VFDR Missiles' https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/aargm-vfdr-missiles.3411/post-428258
Jane's book: The upgrade would be based on a new solid-propellant rocket motor.

From a friend at SAS

Thanks! Is the lower one their SiAW solution?

EDIT: ah, when I blew the pic up the captions are legible. "Maritime Strike"? And an air breather? Don't think there's any program for that. Maybe it is a HALO stand in but I don't see how that configuration would be hypersonic. Probably an internal project idea phishing for a sponser.

I assume there's a ventral fin on the lower one that is out of sight on this shot?

I suppose the next development for the AARGM-ER would be to replace its' rocket-motor with a VFDR?

I suppose the next development for the AARGM-ER would be to replace its' rocket-motor with a VFDR?
See page one of this thread. They already looked at that and decided to pass.

That was years ago so in the interim they may've changed their minds. The upgrade to VFDR propulsion IMO does make sense if you want to dramatically increase the range of the AARGM-ER but don't want to increase the size of the missile from its current configuration.

Update: apparently the bottom was NG's pitch for Navy's HALO, and it lost.

Hard to picture how that object could host a scramjet. Perhaps they went with a ramjet solution. Hard to say without knowing the program requirements.

More images from elsewhere, was forced to pull down the original image I had posted above.

Ah, thanks. From that angle and with that nozzle it looks like we're looking at an integral booster ramjet a la ASALM. Which honestly would be a pretty fearsome air launched carrier weapon, though perhaps only "hypersonic" at the highest throttle setting or else with range limitations. I think I read once that the "screaming eagle" program that seemed to exist, die, exist again, then die again didn't specify what the propulsion mechanism had to be so long as requirements were met. It might be that a ramjet only solution was technically acceptable even if it didn't win the competition. IMO, the hardest problem with HALO is that I don't see how the weapon can't have a hard 15' length limit for CV weapon elevators, which makes it a complicated stack to put together from a hypersonic point of view. It looks like Northrup went with a low risk, high speed ramjet rather than something more exotic - but that's just me just taking a stab in the dark looking at the model.

More images from elsewhere, was forced to pull down the original image I had posted above.
That HALO concept looks pretty slick. I wonder why it lost.

Hopefully because the other solution was lower technical risk. Throwing a hypersonic together in the next 6-7 years is a tall order. Making it only 15' long is a taller one. Does this demo look like an integral rocket - ramjet to you? You have posted a lot about the ASALM.