A Whazit. (Skunk Works challenge coin)

greenmartian2017

The Shadow knows what lurks in the hearts of men
Reaction score
Everyone,

I saw this challenge coin on ebay.

I am going to attempt to post both sides of it.

If anyone knows more about "Special Devices Flight," please post that info here.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• s-l160yuh0.jpg
    s-l160yuh0.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 71
  • s-l16asxgh00.jpg
    s-l16asxgh00.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 71
That's an easy one. It's from the 53rd Test Support Squadron's Special Devices Flight at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida.

The Airmen of the 53rd TSS Special Devices Flight design, build and test tailored products for Air Force and Defense Department agencies that meet operational requirements in a timely and cost-effective manner. The services they provide save the military from having to use contracted or specialty services at top dollar. There are three sections within the special devices flight: engineering, avionics and fabrication.

Read more here: https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Dis...l-special-devices-team-thrives-on-innovation/

They are merely emphasizing that the Special Devices Flight is a "Skunk Works" type organization: small, lean, and innovative. It has nothing to do with the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works (LMSW) and everything to do with the spirit and management style that has come to be identified with that name. Notice how the emblem lacks the well-known and copyrighted LMSW skunk logo, and instead features a more generic skunk character. For another example, seek out the emblem of the USAF Warfighting Integration Capability Futures & Concepts Directorate. Their design features a very generic skunk beneath a banner that reads FUTURES & CONCEPTS and above the words SKUNK WORKS. The 4950th Test Wing also had a "Skunk Works" patch for one of their sub organizations. These are just a few examples.

This items keeps getting re-listed ad infinitum. Several years ago I contacted the seller and told them what that coin actually represents. Sadly, the misleading description and insane price remain unchanged. Perhaps that is why it never sells.

Back
Top Bottom