USA new programs

CammNut

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Sadly, being new to this, I forgot to take a camera. But I am working to get images from the companies. I go to these events quite frequently, so I will make sure I take a camera next time.

I do have an artist's impression of the Skunk Works' VARIOUS VTOL unmanned combat air vehicle concept that I will try to post laster if it's of interest.

Meanwhile, in case it hasn't already been posted here, this is the link to the airliners.net picture of the Skunk Works' P-971 hybrid airship:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1153517/M/

Someone will have to point me to where I can find out how to post images here - I know aeroplanes, but not computers, it seems.

CammNut said:
Someone will have to point me to where I can find out how to post images here - I know aeroplanes, but not computers, it seems.

Click on the text "Additional Options" and you will find a browse button to attach any file up to 768kb in size. If you want to post more images you click "more attachments" to get more buttons, up to 8 images per post. Browse to your image on your computer and voila!

If your images are larger than 768kb you will need either to resize them, or send them to me (paul@overscan.co.uk) and I will resize them.

Paul.

Compare the VARIOUS above with two previous Lockheed Martin VTOL naval UCAV concepts: a late-1990s horizontal-attitude take-off and landing design using JSF lift fan technology; and an earlier vertical-attitude design.

Attachments

• LMSW VATOL navy UCAV.JPG
    LMSW VATOL navy UCAV.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 909
Try again with the lift-fan design...

Attachments

• LMSW lift fan VTOL navy UCAV.JPG
    LMSW lift fan VTOL navy UCAV.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 858
I know the last two illustrations, but the first is a big surprise for me. I saw some fan-in-wing UCAS concepts, but without tail surfaces and not from Lockheed. I will take a look tomorrow.

Attachments

• LockheedUCAV4.jpg
    LockheedUCAV4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 651
At the risk of going over old ground, I will dispense first with the "existing aircraft" procurement programmes now under way:

CSAR-X (HH-47 selected, but under protest)
JCA (C-27J vs C-295, to be decided in May)
KC-X (KC-767 vs KC-30, to be decided by October)
CVLSP (USAF UH-1 replacement)
BAMS (US Navy high-altitude, long-endurance UAV)

Now the "future" programmes:

N-UCAS - US Navy unmanned combat air system: low-observable carrier-based UCAV: UCAS-D demonstrator programme to begin this year; Boeing X-45N competing against Northrop Grumman X-47B

LRS - US Air Force long-range strike: ultra-low-observable next-generation bomber to enter service by 2018; Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman have studied the four combinations of subsonic and supersonic, manned and unmanned; current thinking is the USAF will pick subsonic, initially a manned A-model followed by an unmanned B-model; programme to begin this year

AJACS - US Air Force next-generation STOL or ESTOL (extreme STOL) tactical transport to replace C-130 after 2020; formerly called AMC-X, this is not yet a "programme of record"; AFRL plans to award up to three contracts this year to design an advanced composite cargo aircraft flight demonstrator, with the winning "X-plane" to fly within 17 months of contract award

JHL - US Army-led programme for a heavy-lift rotorcraft able to carry Future Combat Systems vehicles around the battlefield; this is not yet a programme of record, and might yet be merged with AJACS; four concept design and analysis contracts, now completed, covered designs in two speed ranges - the Boeing Advanced Tandem Rotor Helicopter and coaxial-rotor Sikorsky X2 Technology Crane at the lower speed; the Bell Boeing Quad Tilt Rotor and Sikorsky X2 Technology High Speed Lifter at the higher speed; and Frontier Aircraft's Optimum Speed Tilt Rotor. Karem designed the precursor to the Predator UAV and the Frontier Systems (now Boeing) A-160 Hummingbird long-endurance unmanned helicopter, which has an optimum-speed (variable RPM) rotor. There is a patent for the OSTR rotor, but I have not found anything on the overall vehicle design for JHL.

JMR - US Army and Marine Corps joint multi-role rotorcraft to replace both the Boeing AH-64D Apache and Bell AH-1Z SuperCobra at some undefined - and unfunded - point in the future. Potential contenders could include an attack derivative of the Bell-Agusta BA609 tiltrotor. The Boeing Canard Rotor Wing was a contender until the X-50A demonstrator crashed a second time

There are others out there, including a next-generation gunship (AC-130 replacement), and a long-range reconnaissance platform (possibly unmanned). But funding for them is small to non-existent - or classified.

There are also a number of flight demonstrators in the pipeline, but far from certain to fly. These include:

Heliplane - a DARPA programme to demonstrate a high-speed VTOL gyroplane, with Groen Brothers

Falcon - a DARPA programme with Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works to demonstrate technology for a "prompt global strike" hypersonic cruise vehicle (HCV); the planned hypersonic test vehicles will initially be rocket-launched, unpowered and expendable, but ultimately will be reusable, with turbine/scramjet combined-cyle propulsion enabling a runway take-off and landing

Waverider - this covers the rocket-boosted, scamjet-powered X-51A, with a Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne engine and the X-51C with an alternative Alliant Techsystems scramjet. There is also an unfunded X-51B with a turbine/rocket combined-cycle engine. X-51 is aimed at demonstrating aero-propulsion technology for a hypersonic missile and/or an air-breathing reusable launch vehicle

SMV - an AFRL programme to demonstrate an orbital space manoeuvre vehicle; this is basically the ex-NASA, ex-DARPA X-37; planned to be carried into orbit in the Space Shuttle payload bay, the X-37A was cut back to an atmospheric drop test vehicle and ran off the runway after landing successfully from its first and only drop; the X-37B SMV is planned to be launched into orbit on an expendable booster

There are a few others...

Speaking of helo's, has Jay Miller released pics/drawings about the classified stealthy helicopter he knows about, yet?

Hi,

The Boeing Phantom Works is developing the Army's
Airborne Manned/Unmanned System Technology Demonstration
(AMUST-D) see also;
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2006/02/14/204659/little-bird-demonstration-to-grow.html

Hi,

The USA Army program for Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) was
won by the EADS EC-145 twin engined helicopter which was
selected over the Agusta/Westland AW.139,Bell Model-412EP,
and the MD-902 Explorer,it gave the UH-72A designation.

Hi,

There was a two projects from Lockheed to replace the KC-135
and C-141 as a private-venture.

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1997/1997%20-%200554.pdf

Attachments

• Lockheed.JPG
    Lockheed.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 483
Hi,

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/jra.htm

Joint Replacement Aircraft [JRA] Common
Vertical Lift Aircraft [CVLA];

Based on the services' current aviation modernization plans, the
Defense Department is projected to spend over $41 billion to
extend the capability and service life of the H-60, H-1, and
AH-64 fleets until Joint Replacement Aircraft are fielded sometime
after 2025. Helicopter life extension programs will fill a time gap
until the Joint Replacement Aircraft -- probably a light tiltrotor --
enters the service’s inventory. The Marine Corps goal is to reduce
to three rotary types of aircraft: MV-22, CH-53E and the Joint
Replacement Aircraft.
The Navy's Common Vertical Lift Aircraft [CVLA] will replace the
UH-1N and AG-1W. It will support the helicopter air-to-air and
air-to-ground mission, troop transport, and search and rescue
function. It is a candidate to incorporate tilt-rotor technology
developed under the V-22 program. Production start is projected
for about the 2015 time frame.
The H-1 Helicopter Upgrade program will provide a bridge to a Joint Replacement Aircraft in the 2020 timeframe. Under this program, the
Marine Corps is making extensive improvements to its aging fleets of
UH-1N utility and AH-1W attack helicopters. The program provides
for 280 existing airframes (100 UH-1N and 180 AH-1W) to be
remanufactured and fitted with a newly developed drivetrain
incorporating a four-bladed, all-composite rotor system. Increased commonality between the aircraft will enhance maintainability and deployability. The planned avionics upgrade will also enhance joint interoperability. Together, these upgrades will reduce program life-
cycle costs, significantly improve operational capability, and extend
the service life of both helicopter fleets.