A greek monoplane mockup tried in Austria ...

richard B

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

View attachment 625728

It looks like a fighter of the early thirties .

Could it be related with Raab ??? Just a speculation ...

It could well be the AEKKEA Rk-29.

Aero A-102 with an inverted V engine?

It certainly resembles the A-102 (but with an Arsenal VG 33 vibe in the tailplane). However, the label is very clear about the model originating in Greece.

The eBay entry states "... Prof. Katzmayr überprüft Jagdflugzeug-Modell aus Griechenland". That is paraphrasing the label on the back of the photograph: "... UBz: [Unser Bild zeigt] Prof. Katzmayr überprüft ein von Griechenland zu Versuchszwecken an diesen Institute übersandtes Jagdflugmodell..."

So, rough translation: "Our Photo shows: Prof. Katzmayr examines a fighter model sent from Greece to this institute for experimental purposes..."

I'd love to find out that this model represents the AEKKEA-Raab Rk-29. No proof, of course, but what else was being developed in Greece at that time?

Last edited:
The RAAB R-29 was supposedly a parasol-winged monoplane so it seems the most likely candidate for that model.

Not very helpful !
That caption says "Wool threads were used to detect vortices along the wing".

Interesting. I note that the model has a connecting axle - not JAWA's "cantilever single-leg undercarriage". Perhaps that was just a brace for the wind tunnel? The cockpit being set well aft seems to fit Jane's description.

Those gull wings remind us of the Pulawski/Polish wing installed on 1930s vintage PZL fighters and the Hall Bulldog racer.
PZL fighters were considered the most advanced fighters of the mid 1930s, but were quickly eclipsed by newer designs (e.g. Me 109).
OTOH Hall Bulldog suffered problems with turbulence from wing roots reducing directional stability. The prototype Hall Bulldog needed its fin modified 3 times and its rudder modified 4 times before it flew straight, but was still passed by Granville Brothers' racers.

It is my understanding that the R-29 was supposed to have retractable undercarriage as a direct improvement over the R-27. Most fighters of that time were certainly leaning towards retractable gear... It is a great shame our only contemporary source is such a passing mention - in any other context such a source wouldn't be held in such high regard but it's the best we have... If it is to use similar 'construction methods' and evolve from the R-27 it seems strange that it would move to a parasol monoplane, as that is a very different design than the R-25 and R-27 which were both shoulder wing I believe ?.. I find the speculative impression based on logical evolution from Skartsis to be more compelling

Inspiration

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 39
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    890.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Cicada_sm.jpg
    Cicada_sm.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 31
  • hsbulldog.jpg
    hsbulldog.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 53
Inspiration
Yes it's interesting, I'm rather reserved with the parasol design as it doesn't seem to line up with the specifications listed in Janes... such a wing induces more drag than that of the R-27 (listed as having a 12Y which produced at minimum 750hp), and yet the R-29 supposedly reached 470km/h (40km/h faster than the R-27) with an engine which is 1/3rd of the power and a less aerodynamic wing? These simply do not line up. I believe there must be a source mistake - Skartsis speculative impression makes far more 'sense' in terms of a design - and I think it more than likely the R-29 inherited the powerful 12Y from the R-27, otherwise the specifications simply doesn't add up. Also, the parasol wing was somewhat outdated for a fighter entering development in 1936, so why would Raab take a step backwards in design?

Attachments

• 79198-83e18945fcfb3c873454303a8346d770.jpg
    79198-83e18945fcfb3c873454303a8346d770.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom