A-10 wind tunnel model

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Stopped briefly at the Hill Air Force Base museum today. A new display was this 1/10 scale aluminum A-10 model from 1976. A few interesting divergences from the final product.

2008-02-01a.jpg

2008-02-01b.jpg

2008-02-01c.jpg

2008-02-01d.jpg

2008-02-01e.jpg

2008-02-01f.jpg

2008-02-01g.jpg

2008-02-01h.jpg

2008-02-01i.jpg

The nosecone in the first image looks like it was an option for an on board RADAR, although I don't know if they ever considered it.

Sundog said:
The nosecone in the first image looks like it was an option for an on board RADAR, although I don't know if they ever considered it.

A lot of wind tunnel work is simply "I wonder what this does." So for relatively small changes, like this nosecone, it's hard to tell if it was a serious proposal, or just due diligence in the testing. It does remind me of the F-14 nosecone. Not really sure what value there's be in an air-to-air radar setup like that on a tankbuster, though.

The tailcone is I think more interesting. What were they thinking of doing at the back end? Looks almost like it was meant to have some sort of sensor or even a rocket exhaust back there!

Hey folks, it is just a simple wind model to test the general attributes of the A-10.

Ok, I agree, different noses to find best potion of the gun muzzle.
But I doubt that at that time a radar was planned.
The back end doesn't indicate a planned parachute -, sensor - or rocket system.
I presume it is just a connection for the pole in the wind tunnel.

Don't interpret so much into this model!
;) :)