80's to 90's Bloodhound successor?

zen

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Does anyone have the requirements for the Bloodhound Successor AST.1235 which later continued as SR(A).1235?
Apparently this covers the post Nott cancellation of Sea Dart mkII and it's EURSAM incarnation search for a Bloodhound Successor.

At one stage wasn't the UK MoD considering a Bloodhound Mk-III?

Technically, this AST is still open, which might explain the lack of info in the archives. I've been looking for the actual requirement for years but aside from passing mentions in documents in Kew, have failed miserably in that task (it's on the grail list). It was also intended to replace HAWK in French service, if not others.

It evolved into MSAMS, FMS and EURSAM with various missile systems put forward over the decades.

I have a feeling that it was put on the back-burner when the remarkable CAAM family came on the scene.

Chris

Technically, this AST is still open, which might explain the lack of info in the archives. I've been looking for the actual requirement for years but aside from passing mentions in documents in Kew, have failed miserably in that task (it's on the grail list). It was also intended to replace HAWK in French service, if not others.

It evolved into MSAMS, FMS and EURSAM with various missile systems put forward over the decades.

I have a feeling that it was put on the back-burner when the remarkable CAAM family came on the scene.

Chris
Thank you for the reply!
I'd have thought CAMM hits GAST.1210 rather than AST.1235 ?

I touched on this in a thread all the way back in 2012.

The trade press from 1991-93 had several stories on this, mostly with the view that Patriot was a shoe-in. Tenders were received and evaluated, programme then known as MSAM, in 1993 (at least according to the Minister for Defence Procurement in April of 1993) but by the end of that year the programme had been abandoned and Bloodhound never was replaced.

My hypothesis for the lack of archive material is that all the proposed systems were in service with allied nations when 20 years came round, so any documents would have been a prime target for retention or destruction.

Last edited: