Register here

Author Topic: DARPA Long Range Anti-ship Missile (LRASM)  (Read 95274 times)

Offline TomS

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: DARPA Long Range Anti-ship Missile (LRASM)
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2017, 01:19:35 pm »
OASuW Inc 2 looks, as of the FY18 budget, to be deferred indefinitely.

The Navy was able to put together the funds for a AGM-154C-1 extended range demo including tweaks for midcourse/endgame perf optimization

Hopefully, that turns into a program of record.

So what would be the plan -- limited numbers of LRASM bought under OASuW Inc 1 for land-based aircraft like the B-1 and the lighter, shorter-ranged JSOW-ER for carrier aircraft where weight is more critical?  Where does Harpoon Block II+ fit?

And what the heck do we do for the surface ships? 

Offline sferrin

« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2017, 01:33:21 pm »
OASuW Inc 2 looks, as of the FY18 budget, to be deferred indefinitely.

I. Am. Shocked.  Shocked, I tell you.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2017, 01:34:11 pm »

Don't talk about it and pretend it's not an issue.  Business as usual that is.

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #273 on: August 01, 2017, 03:11:59 am »

So what would be the plan -- limited numbers of LRASM bought under OASuW Inc 1 for land-based aircraft like the B-1 and the lighter, shorter-ranged JSOW-ER for carrier aircraft where weight is more critical?  Where does Harpoon Block II+ fit?

LRASM buy could be extended beyond the small batch that the USAF and USN are acquiring. It is produced on the JASSM/JASSM-ER production line so they have that option for a number of years still.

Right now, TLAM growth and eventually NGLAW and possibly look to integrate the LRASM.
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline bobbymike

"I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death." - Leonardo da Vinci

Online seruriermarshal

« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2017, 05:35:33 pm »
 ;D

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2017, 02:01:54 am »
;D

A quick question, how many LRASM can a B-1B fit into a weapons bay?  :-\

Offline _Del_

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2017, 02:24:39 am »
8. Same as JASSM.  So 24 total internal carriage.

Offline totoro

• CLEARANCE: Secret
    • Binkov's Battlegrounds
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2017, 02:51:08 am »
What are the chances that we will see usn use lrasm used from mk41 vls by 2022 or so?
www.youtube.com/c/binkovsbattlegrounds - military analysis videos 

New video available: F-35 vs Su-35, the verdict (part 2/2)

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2017, 04:45:32 am »
What are the chances that we will see usn use lrasm used from mk41 vls by 2022 or so?

Looks unlikely. The OASuW Increment 2 will now address air launched requirements only. It is likely that the US Navy will continue to fund the Tomahawk seeker upgrade for the early 2020s and use it for anti-ship purposes until the Next Generation Land Attack Weapon is developed. 

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/16/navy-raytheon-close-finalizing-maritime-strike-tomahawk-missile-deal

Offline sferrin

« Reply #280 on: August 19, 2017, 07:47:36 pm »

Looks unlikely. The OASuW Increment 2 will now address air launched requirements only. It is likely that the US Navy will continue to fund the Tomahawk seeker upgrade for the early 2020s and use it for anti-ship purposes until the Next Generation Land Attack Weapon is developed. 

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/16/navy-raytheon-close-finalizing-maritime-strike-tomahawk-missile-deal

A damn shame given LRASM would be much more likely to actually make it to the target.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #281 on: August 23, 2017, 01:56:03 am »

A damn shame given LRASM would be much more likely to actually make it to the target.

Where they could have been by the early 2020s -

LRASM-B: THE SUPERSONIC SOLUTION THAT FAILED TO FLY:

Going back to the early days of the LRASM programme, DARPA's Tactical Technology Office originally received a total of nine proposals, with ATK, Boeing, Lockheed Martin and Raytheon all making submissions. Following an evaluation of the bids, it decided to place two separate Phase I contracts in mid-2009 with different businesses within Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control - Strike Weapons in Orlando, Florida, received USD10 million for an initial nine-month Phase I demonstration effort for what was originally known as LRASM-A; while Tactical Missiles in Grand Prairie, Texas, received a similar amount to pursue its LRASM-B concept.

In LRASM-A, Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control - Strike Weapons conceptualised a subsonic, stealthy and survivable long-range cruise missile that married the AGM-158B JASSM-ER missile with a suite of additional sensors and systems. LRASM-A has subsequently become the basis for the LRASM follow-on development effort now being pursued by DARPA and Lockheed Martin.

Tactical Missiles' LRASM-B was a very different beast. It took the form of a high-speed weapon capitalising on a legacy hybrid rocket/ramjet engine (originally built for the Martin Marietta AQM-127 Supersonic Low-Altitude Target) to create a high-flying supersonic cruise missile that DARPA characterised as having "balanced speed and stealth for robust performance".

Phase 1 LRASM activities completed in March 2010. An evaluation by an independent government assessment team provided the necessary confidence in both weapon designs to justify further investment for flight testing, giving the green light for follow-on Phase 2 contract awards in late 2010 to continue the development and demonstration of both missiles. Strike Weapons received a USD60.3 million contract for LRASM-A, while Tactical Missiles was awarded USD157.7 million for LRASM-B. A third Phase 2 contract award, valued at USD34 million, was made to BAE Systems Information and Electronic Systems Integration for the design and development of a common sensor suite to support both LRASM variants.

The original plan was for LRASM-A to execute two air-launched demonstrations leveraging its JASSM-ER heritage and demonstrating applicability to USN and USAF tactical aircraft employment, while LRASM-B would complete four vertical launch system demonstrations proving applicability to surface combatant employment.

In November 2011 Marotta Controls announced that it had been contracted by Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control to develop a pressure regulator for the LRASM-B missile fuel pressurisation system. This would regulate pressure from a helium storage vessel, which is in turn used to pressurise the missile fuel system. The regulator design, based on an internal relief valve to prevent over-pressurisation due to downstream pressure within the regulator, borrowed substantially from Marotta's pedigree in providing pressure regulators to NASA and industry primes for satellite, launch vehicle, and manned space flight applications.

However, the LRASM programme took a new twist in January 2012 when the LRASM-B effort was terminated. Instead, DARPA, citing the pressing need for a near-term capability, said it was "consolidating investments to focus solely on advancing LRASM-A technologies ... to reduce risk and expedite delivery of cutting-edge capability to the fleet". And so LRASM-B died before it could fly. "Back into the blue: LRASM honed for extended reach, precision punch"~ IDR
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:00:16 am by bring_it_on »

Online seruriermarshal

« Reply #282 on: November 01, 2017, 09:43:32 pm »
BAE Systems Begins Mass Production of LRASM Anti-Ship Missile Advanced Sensor

B)

Offline bobbymike

"I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death." - Leonardo da Vinci

Online seruriermarshal

« Reply #284 on: November 10, 2017, 07:22:15 am »
LRASM  ;D