Register here

Author Topic: Littoral Combat Ship - Freedom/Independence  (Read 143661 times)

Offline Grey Havoc

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • The path not taken.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
Re: Littoral Combat Ship - Freedom/Independence
« Reply #466 on: January 18, 2019, 05:24:18 am »
If I were to bet I would place very high odds on FMM winning the FFG(X) either with the Freedom class design or the FREMM. Fincantieri and Lockheed Martin win in either of those scenarios and the yard already has a plan to transition to the Saudi Frigate which IIRC has options baked in. Keeps a yard going so is good for the industrial base and the Navy gets what it needs no matter which design it picks.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:26:14 am by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline Moose

« Reply #467 on: January 18, 2019, 07:17:44 am »
If I were to bet I would place very high odds on FMM winning the FFG(X) either with the Freedom class design or the FREMM. Fincantieri and Lockheed Martin win in either of those scenarios and the yard already has a plan to transition to the Saudi Frigate which IIRC has options baked in. Keeps a yard going so is good for the industrial base and the Navy gets what it needs no matter which design it picks.  ;)
While this isn't a bad theory, I think people need to keep in mind the SSC requirement has been trending upward and recent talk has indicated a desire for even more hulls. It's increasingly likely multiple yards will have to be involved with construction in order to keep delivery pace and industrial capacity at the desired levels as is done with DDG and LCS, though unlike the latter it will hopefully only involve a single hull design.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #468 on: January 18, 2019, 08:02:53 am »
I understand that and I believe the Navy desires that each bid includes the transfer of all data required to source construction to a second yard but even then just going by the capability of the two ships on offer that will be produced at FMM and the opportunity to transition to the FFGX affordably does still put it in top spot imho.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #469 on: January 18, 2019, 08:14:08 am »
I'm hoping for Austall. 
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Moose

« Reply #470 on: January 18, 2019, 10:22:55 am »
I understand that and I believe the Navy desires that each bid includes the transfer of all data required to source construction to a second yard but even then just going by the capability of the two ships on offer that will be produced at FMM and the opportunity to transition to the FFGX affordably does still put it in top spot imho.
Fair enough. I find it hard to handicap at this point since the requirements seem to have bent toward a more capable ship since the program launched and, other than Austal's most recent model showing up at SNA, most of our bid information is by now out of date. FMM's a flexible yard with good owners, issues like Great Lakes icing aside it's definitely made a strong case to get work going forward.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #471 on: January 18, 2019, 12:10:53 pm »
Right. The requirements have changed considerably and this is to the advantage of some of the established frigates that are competing most of which already have some of that capability and size in service. Some of the modification that the Independence has to go to get there are fairly significant so will add quite a bit of risk. At least on the Freedom there is a gradual transition via the Saudi vessels so the team is already working on some of these issues but even there the ship will be larger, displace more, and have a new propulsion system. While the RFP is not done yet, the Navy currently sees the objective cost close to $550 Million plus GFE with a threshold of $630 plus GFE. My only disappointment in this is that someone didn't offer the Type-26 :).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:19:31 pm by bring_it_on »

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #473 on: January 19, 2019, 03:47:26 am »
Surface Navy 2019: Combining gear bearing fails on LCS Detroit

Combining gear equipment in another Freedom-class Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) propulsion plant needs to be repaired, according to US Navy (USN) and LCS programme officials familiar with the damage.
“USS Detroit [LCS 7] experienced a bearing failure on its starboard combining gear,” USN spokesperson Alan Baribeau told Jane’s . “The bearing will be repaired during a maintenance availability in [ Detroit homeport] Mayport, Florida.”

The combining gear bearing repairs could last until the third quarter of this year, one official said.

During the regularly scheduled availability, the cybersecurity system aboard Detroit was being modified and “hardened” for added protection, work that had already extended the maintenance period, officials said.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 03:49:23 am by bring_it_on »

Offline fredymac

« Reply #474 on: January 21, 2019, 02:58:21 pm »
At 2:00 mark, Independence derivative frigate discussed followed by segments on the LCS towed sonar and naval strike missile.

As long as I'm posting this I will add these follow on videos.

High Power Microwave from BAE Systems

Fincantieri FFG(X) candidate, standard missile, and other items.

Canadian surface combatant and SPY 6 segments