Avro 729 Rocket fighter to OR.329/F155T

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to publish this drawing in my book on the P.1121, but it was cut along with other F.155T stuff because of limited space. Its been published elsewhere now, so here you go...

Drawing via Avro Heritage, it did not show the left wing on the top view so I mirrored the right hand side to show the overall shape better. I didn't complete editing.

Avro were working on this design with some degree of seriousness in the early stages, but failed to submit a bid.

Attachments

• TYPE-729.jpg
    TYPE-729.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 707
  • TYPE-729 (original).jpg
    TYPE-729 (original).jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 683
Fascinating, though I've seen it before.
A weird mix of old and new this one.

Thanks for sharing.
You certainly get Avro 730 vibes from this design, which isn't surprising given the planned performance of both types.

I assume thats four Gyron Juniors?

It is somewhat reminiscent, interns of basic layout, of the 721 design to OR.314/324.

Thanks for sharing Paul.

JFC Fuller said:
I assume thats four Gyron Juniors?

It is somewhat reminiscent, interns of basic layout, of the 721 design to OR.314/324.

Thanks for sharing Paul.

Its only 2 Gyron Juniors with reheat and a single Spectre rocket engine, as far as I can see. Best explanation I can provide would be that this design is from early on when the planned load for OR.329 was very much smaller - it is 60ft long as opposed to say AW.169 at 84 ft.

Its close to the revised late 1955 Avro 730 configuration in some ways as well as the 721.

index.php

I think you are probably right Paul. The line down the middle of each nacelle combined with the width of the fuselage to accommodate side-by-side crew arrangement and the apparent width of the nacelles made me think I was looking at a pair of tightly packed engines in each nacelle- there seems to be slight bulging around the mid-section of each nacelle too.

Just two Gyron Juniors would surely have put it some way short pf the OR performance requirements?

Its definitely only 1 Gyron Junior per nacelle. Look at the nacelles on the Bristol 188 for comparison, and check the AI.18 radar scanner (32 in) for scale.

As to how they intended to meet performance requirements, I have not seen any more than this drawing and a memo in OR.329 correspondence, so this would be guesswork. I think its basically P.1103 sized (35,000lb -40,000lb) so 2 x Gyron Junior (14,000lb each with reheat) and 1 x 10,000-15,000lb Spectre would be adequate.