Gallinari Seaplanes ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

does anyone know the Gallinari seaplanes of WWI ?,he was Italian designer .

The name isn't that of an "Italian designer". Rather, it refers to the wooden boat-building yard, Cantiere Navale G. Gallinari & C. of Livorno and to its aviation subsidiary, Società Anonima Industrie Meccaniche Gallinari based at Marina di Pisa.

The latter was formed in 1916 to license-building seaplanes (beginning in 1916 or 1917, sources vary). Online sources mention "la costruzione di idrovolanti in legno" but I don't know what type of wooden seaplane the Gallinari plant built.

BTW: Società Anonima Industrie Meccaniche Gallinari closed after WWI. The firm was on shaky ground - Cantieri Gallinari had filed for bankruptcy in 1912 (although the boat-builder is going strong today). In 1921, the German-financed Società Anonima Italiana Costruzioni Meccaniche (SAICM) took over Gallinari's Marina di Pisa factory space. Formed to license-build Dorniers, SAICM became the more familiar CMASA (Costruzioni Meccaniche Aeronautiche – Società Anonima) after its 1925 move to Genoa.

Excellent my dear Apophenia,

and here is the old Info about him.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 425
Thanks Hesham. I can now confirm at least one flying boat type built by Gallinari.

There is mention of the Società Anonima Industrie Meccaniche Gallinari holding a licence to build the Anglo-French FBA Tipo H flying boat in Italy. That right is usually associate with the Societa Idrovolanti Alta Italia. Of course, SIAI also devised a Tipo H replacement in the form of their S.8 recce flying boat of 1917.

According to Progettazione e produttività dell'industria aeronautica italiana dalle origini al 1943: Le relazioni della "Direzione Costruzioni Aeronautiche" dell'Aeronautica Militare, Gallinari built 93 aircraft, primarily SIAI S.8 flying boats.

"... Azienda - Società Aeronautica Italiana Gallinari (Livorno)
Idrovolanti - 93 (modelli vari, principalmente S.8) ..."
http://tesi.cab.unipd.it/49319/1/Revisione_Tesi-definitiva_Novello.pdf - pg.9

There may be some confusion here. According to forum member aviostoria, S.8 production was by CIVES of Varazze and Società Anonima Ducrot of Palermo. There is no mention of Gallinari.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6341.msg55661.html#msg55661

On the other hand, SIAI, CIVES, Ducrot, Gallinari, IAM (Naples), and Zari (Bovisio) all participated in Tipo H production. So, we can say '' for the FBA Tipo H and 'probabilmente' for the SIAI S.8 being built by the Società Anonima Industrie Meccaniche Gallinari ;)

Amazing explanation,thank you my dear Apophenia.

Here I am with the only photo of a Gallinari seaplane I have ever seen. The seaplane was Gallinari FBA.

Attachments

• Gallinari FBA.png
    Gallinari FBA.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 328
From Aerei Italiani 1914-1918,

here is all Info about Gallinari MG.1 & MG.2

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    645.5 KB · Views: 97
Are they the same ?.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 6
Are they the same ?.
Yes, but they've garbled the name. The company wasn't the 'Società Italiana di Costruzioni Meccaniche di Pisa'. It was then the Società Anonima Italiana di Costruzioni Meccaniche based at Marina di Pisa. (That Società Anonima part identifies SAICM as a Joint-Stock Company.)

Corporate name changes/ownership went something like this:

1906 - Cantiere Navale G. Gallinari

1921 - Società Anonima Italiana di Costruzioni Meccaniche

1925 - Costruzioni Meccaniche Aeronautiche Società Anonima (based in Genoa)

1934 - CMASA acquired by the Società Italiana Aviazione