Register here

Author Topic: British Secret Projects 5: Britain's Space Shuttle by Dan Sharp  (Read 22268 times)

Offline newsdeskdan

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: British Secret Projects 5: Britain's Space Shuttle by Dan Sharp
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2016, 08:27:52 am »
Finally yesterday I had a first look at the copy I had bought at Telford ! Amazing ! I would say that 90% of the contents are new to me. I just looked at the pictures and was really surprised at the diversity of the subject. Now I need to read the text as well for more surprises.
Great work !

JCC

Thanks!

Offline Hood

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2016, 06:28:36 am »
Only had a chance to flick through this one so far, but the contents are nothing less than amazing and though some of the projects were discussed in BSP:4, there is more than enough new stuff here and the illustrations and photographs are excellent too. A very fine addition to the BSP series.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 02:26:11 am »
Only had a chance to flick through this one so far, but the contents are nothing less than amazing and though some of the projects were discussed in BSP:4, there is more than enough new stuff here and the illustrations and photographs are excellent too. A very fine addition to the BSP series.

At the beginning, I had intended only to cover Mustard in BSP5, but speaking to members of the Mustard team it became very clear that the project grew out of P.42. So I began to work out how P.42 had begun and why. I was very aware of what had been written in BSP4 but it was evident that I had sufficient material to explain it more fully. While the original BSP4 account mostly stands up, if you read that first - only a few pages - then read what's in BSP5, you will notice some aspects of the latter which seek to directly address statements made in the former.

Offline AlanDavies

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2017, 12:38:36 am »
Did this mean that some MUSTARD material had to be left out of the book or was the book expanded considerably? I ask this not as a criticism but  hopefully in case there is an expanded second edition!
I am reading and re-reading this book it is all so fresh and fascinating
Thanks again
Alan

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2017, 04:13:28 am »
Did this mean that some MUSTARD material had to be left out of the book or was the book expanded considerably? I ask this not as a criticism but  hopefully in case there is an expanded second edition!
I am reading and re-reading this book it is all so fresh and fascinating
Thanks again
Alan

The book was originally conceived as something much smaller with a tight focus on MUSTARD alone, so I suppose you could say it was expanded considerably. A lot of material had to be left out, but most of this relates to the associated space science research carried out by BAC to ensure that MUSTARD could operate effectively in a then-unfamiliar environment, the detail of processes and calculations required for re-entry and the development of the digital computer systems necessary to make those calculations. I felt that most readers would be less interested in these aspects of the project.
Other areas where material was left out include the re-entry systems developed by BAC between the work on recoverable rockets and MUSTARD and the work of the other Aerospace Transporter competitors. BSEL and HSA did a great deal of work on related areas, as did Dassault, Bolkow, Junkers, NORD etc. I didn't particularly want to write an 'Aerospace Transporter' book so I left that as a single chapter.

Offline AlanDavies

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2017, 02:16:43 pm »
Thank you for your reply, I am very happy with your book as it is,  just being greedy really!
I know you didnt want to do a book on European  Aerospace Transporters but I think you would be the man for the job.
Regards
Alan

Offline AlanDavies

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2017, 12:28:39 am »
IPMS USA have put a comprehensive and very positive review of BSP5 on their website
Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere.

Offline SteveO

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2017, 04:03:12 am »
Great book Dan, gave me another 'what if' frustration headache but that's the sign of a good read  ;)

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2017, 01:46:53 am »
Great book Dan, gave me another 'what if' frustration headache but that's the sign of a good read  ;)

I never imagined, many years ago when I was reading Dan Dare, that British companies had actually gone quite so far down the road of designing manned spacecraft. To look at a picture of Mustard, without any real explanation, it seems like pure fantasy. But when you see how much work was done on it, the bespoke computer systems developed to make the necessary complex calculations, and all the ancillary research carried out, you realise that BAC was capable of building it and making it work (if anyone was). Of all the many aerospace 'what ifs', I personally find Mustard the most tantalising.

Offline shedofdread

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2017, 08:56:38 am »
Got my copy yesterday (Book Depository). Not too far in yet (~ 1/3) but what a fascinating and well written book. I would agree that of all the un-built 'what ifs', this has to be right up there as one of the ones with the most promise.

Cheers!

Online flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 09:27:23 am »
Have finished my copy. More than I could wish. Excellently researched, written and formatted book, definitely must have for any space history enthusiast.
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Siberia

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2018, 09:48:42 pm »
BSP5: Britain's Space Shuttle is out now, it would seem!

Out of interest does it make any difference to the author, or to a lesser extent the publishers, where people purchase the book? Amazon have it with 25% off which is nice but not so large a saving as to stop me ordering it via a bricks and mortar shop if there were other possible considerations. Thanks.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:07 pm »
Direct from the publisher always benefits the publisher. It may or may not benefit the author, depending on the arrangement with the publisher.

Blue Envoy Press split all profits with the author, so direct purchases from them does benefit the author. I don't think the same is true of Crecy.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 04:07:00 am »
Direct from the publisher always benefits the publisher. It may or may not benefit the author, depending on the arrangement with the publisher.

Blue Envoy Press split all profits with the author, so direct purchases from them does benefit the author. I don't think the same is true of Crecy.

It depends on the arrangement between the author and the publisher. For BSP5, I am paid (annually) a percentage of the purchase price for each book sold. So direct purchases do benefit me - the more you pay for it, the greater the sum I receive. I believe that other authors have other arrangements, however.

Offline Siberia

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2018, 04:13:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like I'll be ordering direct then.