Register here

Author Topic: North Korean indigenous fighter/attack aircraft  (Read 7672 times)

Offline KonTim

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
North Korean indigenous fighter/attack aircraft
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »
What if North Korea decides to plan and manufacture an indigenous fighter/attack aircraft.I think it would seemed like this:

Online SpudmanWP

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: North Korean indigenous fighter/attack aircraft
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:31:54 pm »
this

WE4-45-1-08     OMHIWDMB
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Online GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:38:05 pm »
Surely it would be a joint venture with Iran...

Offline Delta Force

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 06:25:23 pm »
I once read that there were rumors that the DPRK would begin domestic production of a MiG-21 type design in the early 1990s, but those projections obviously never came true. They did assemble MiG-29s from parts supplied by the Soviets and other countries throughout the late 1980s and early to mid-1990s.

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 06:25:35 am »
That design (which is shown on http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/artists/113164906?view_mode=2, BTW) quite
clearly is the Ye-8, or at least very closely based on it. Starting with a design, that now is about 50 years old may not
be a superb idea to boost the capabilities of the NK aviation industry, I think.
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline KonTim

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:11:34 am »
this

It's look like a variant of Mig-29 to me.

Offline KonTim

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 03:34:10 am »
I've read that the North Koreans are heading of ingeniously develop a modified variant of Mig-29 fighter jet.Does anyone heard anything? 

Offline KonTim

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 01:05:06 pm »
That design (which is shown on http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/artists/113164906?view_mode=2, BTW) quite
clearly is the Ye-8, or at least very closely based on it. Starting with a design, that now is about 50 years old may not
be a superb idea to boost the capabilities of the NK aviation industry, I think.

Maybe not but this is all they could do,for start at least.

Offline Avimimus

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 01:42:27 pm »

Probably a more reasonable goal though? Also, with upgraded avionics it could still be fairly effective against 4th generation opponents.

Offline airman

• my blogs
writers , bloggers , content-curators ,  music composer and passionate of militaria and uchronia

Offline kaiserd

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 05:02:34 pm »

Probably a more reasonable goal though? Also, with upgraded avionics it could still be fairly effective against 4th generation opponents.

I think in this context "reasonable" has started to loose some meaning. North Korea clearly had/ has zero chance of producing a domestic viable fighter aircraft. They have little to no domestic aircraft development and/or manufacturing experience or capability. Essembling a handful of MIG29 in kit form proved beyond them (I'm not daming them for this, more than my home country ever did in this field). Building an obscure early sixties aircraft is in absolute terms probably even harder, and that's before you get trying to turn a flying shell into a viable 21st century weapon system.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:05:58 pm by kaiserd »

Offline KonTim

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 12:56:44 pm »
I've read recently that North Korea intends to try to copy Mig-29.

Any more info?

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 03:33:55 am »
I think the paper variant more likely.