Register here

Author Topic: RAH-66 Comanche  (Read 75267 times)

Offline Stuka

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Klaatu barada nikto
RAH-66 Comanche
« on: June 17, 2007, 12:55:59 am »
R.I.P. Comanche. :( A few pics of the cancelled EMD phase Comanche.  Anyone have more info?  I know for a fact that a publicly released 3-view exists but I haven't been able to find it yet.

http://www.tinyurl.com/3ac5h3
http://www.tinyurl.com/ytw7dw
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 04:04:35 am by Stuka »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: RAH-66 Comanche
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 01:18:51 am »
These ones?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:36:07 am by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Stuka

• Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 02:05:23 am »
Thanks for the 3-view but that's the DEM/VAL phase even though EMD is in the file name.

Offline yasotay

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 08:21:07 am »
I spent a lot of time working with the RAH-66.  Much of it with simulation work.  The cockpit and MEP was by far the most advanced for a rotorcraft.  While I did not fly the Comanche I knew many of the Army aviators who did work the actual aircraft.  It was a good flying bird, even with it being very overweight.

The Army did make the right decision to cancel the program.  The funding from Comanche will now allow for ~300 ARH(Bell 407), ~300 LUH(BK 117), 40 JCA(C-27J), new CH-47F, new UH-60M, new ASE and other kit.  While the money does not buy all of the airframes I mention, you can get an idea of how much money was tied into one program.

Before I get on a dissertation of the impact of Comanche on the US rotorcraft technology sector, I think buried somewhere on my hard drive at work, I have a three view of the EMD/LRIP aircraft configuration.  If memory serves me, the most outstanding visible differences had to do with the canopy layout and the addition of increased air inlet size (immediately below the engine inlet) to provide more ambient air to the IR suppression.

Edit:  found the three view for EMD/LRIP.  Hope this is what you are looking for...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:33:03 am by yasotay »

Offline Stuka

• Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:10:48 pm »
Thank you!  That is the exact 3-view I was looking for.  It was originally published in some Sikorsky marketing/promotional material from around Jan '04. 

Offline Maveric

• Fight for yor Right!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 10:44:43 pm »
Hi all,

anybody know the Sikorsky designation ( S. ? ) for the RAH.66?

Servus Maveric
I see you on the dark side of the moon.

Offline Stuka

• Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 10:43:57 pm »
I don't think it had an S number but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:20:27 pm by Stuka »

Offline yasotay

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:33:23 am »
To my knowledge only two aircraft were completed prior to the end of the program.  Both of those were flying prototypes.  I am not aware if the ground test article was completed.

Offline crusader97

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 10:38:51 am »
To my knowledge only two aircraft were completed prior to the end of the program.  Both of those were flying prototypes.  I am not aware if the ground test article was completed.

During a trip to the Sikorsky plant in the mid-90's, it was mentioned that there were 6 in various stages of construction.  Other than the 2 flying prototypes, I'm not sure of the state of the others.

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 12:41:55 pm »
While I did not fly the Comanche I knew many of the Army aviators who did work the actual aircraft.  It was a good flying bird, even with it being very overweight.

It seems a pity that the program couldn't have been re-written around a less ambitious specification. 

Take away the requirement for low observability, and the RAH-66 most certainly wouldn't have been overweight.

Offline Stuka

• Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 07:40:33 pm »
There were 5 airframes on the assembly line when the program was terminated.  There were probably parts in process for ships beyond number 5.  Here's the second on the line after program termination.  They let us get souvenir photos of ourselves "sitting" inside the cockpit.

Offline yasotay

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 04:50:07 am »
 At termination ships 3 and 4 were ready for engines.

TinWing there were many of us who wondered why it had to be an "all or nothing" effort.  The airframe, dynamics and engines were good.  It was the Mission Equipment Package and its' tempermental maintainance (along with other special stuff) that was dragging the effort.  A less ambitious MEP (and other stuff) Block 1 in the field might have been a worth combat helo.  The leadership likely assumed that to do anything less than the full kit would have gotten the program cancelled in Congress.  Might have, but Congress was not the ones who killed it.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 12:04:31 pm »
Some nice pictures, courtesy of Boeing.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 12:11:26 pm »
few more
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:13:51 pm by overscan »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline medal64

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 01:02:43 pm »
Is there any comanche cockpit photos and does Russian airforce has a commanche competitor.And is commanche the best combat helicopter in the world?