Register here

Author Topic: THAAD Development  (Read 46012 times)

Online bring_it_on

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: THAAD Development
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2017, 05:44:06 pm »
9-10 was iirc a requirement crafted during different times vis-a-vis the situation in Europe and SE Asia. They probably need 11-13 to fully meet COCOM demand in the 2020s and beyond. International buys will move things along without requiring immediate commitment but the need of the hour is to increase the production rate of the interceptors and make them more affordable. R&D needs to focus on THAAD IBCS interoperability and fielding the GaN radars and possibly looking to upgrade the Antenna units. As far as interceptors are concerned THAAD-ER R&D was needed like 3 years ago provided there isn't a cheaper alternative.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:01:34 am by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline sferrin

« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2017, 07:37:16 pm »
Any ideas?  Looks like some mutant with a Mk72 booster.  ???

"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2017, 10:32:07 am »

Offline Mark S.

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2017, 03:21:55 pm »
From defense News:

"Cahill said Lockheed is still in the process of reaching an agreement on what kind of capabilities, for example, an evolved THAAD interceptor could go after.
The desire to add extended range at the back end and more advanced sensing capability on the front end of the missile could give THAAD the capability to take out more advanced threats like hypersonics because it could take out a particular threat “before it has the chance to do the things it’s designed to do to defeat you,” Cahill noted.

“I wouldn’t want to say specifically what [THAAD Extended Range] could do against particular threats yet because we are still working our way through that,” Cahill said, “but there is no doubt, in general, further down-range, higher-up capability gives you better ability to hit something in the right zones. The more envelope you’ve got, the more you can pick where you can go hit them.”

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2017, 02:47:16 pm »

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2018, 03:13:39 pm »

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2018, 01:18:20 pm »

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2018, 04:44:49 am »

Offline sferrin

« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2018, 05:06:53 am »
Well that's disappointing.  I was hoping THAAD-ER might have actually been going somewhere.  That they don't already have a way of linking remote launchers together is surprising.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2018, 05:17:05 am »
Another IRBM test planned for FY19) -

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2018, 04:12:17 am »

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2018, 06:10:42 pm »
Army missile defense systems Patriot and THAAD talk in test

WASHINGTON — The Army’s two key missile defense systems — Patriot and the Terminal High Altitude Air Defense system — successfully talked in a test conducted by the Missile Defense Agency and the service at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico, April 6.

The Army is planning to tie THAAD and Patriot together within in two years and received a surplus of funding in the recently passed fiscal 2018 omnibus spending bill to proceed with the effort.

Tying the systems together is critical to establishing a more effective, layered approach to air-and-missile defense and could enhance the development of the Army’s future AMD command-and-control system, the Integrated Air-and-Missile Defense Battle Command System — or IBCS.

Both THAAD and Patriot picked up a live short-range Lynx missile target suing their radars and tracked the target individually, but both systems “exchanged messages through tactical data links and verified interoperability between the weapons systems,” according to an MDA statement.

No live interceptors were launched.

“These two weapon systems are vitally important as components of our layered ballistic missile defense system and it is critical that they are able to transmit data and communicate with one another,” MDA Director Lt. Gen. Samuel Greaves said in the statement.

The test supported the materiel release of the THAAD 3.0 software upgrades and meets requirements laid out in the FY16 National Defense Authorization Act for the MDA and Army to annually test interoperability and integration of THAAD and Patriot, the statement notes.

Driving the effort are the forces in South Korea where both THAAD and Patriot are deployed. THAAD is also deployed in Guam, while Patriot units are spread wider around the world. Patriot deployments are considered to be among the most taxing and lengthy ones in the Army.

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2018, 02:44:49 am »
April 17 2018

Lockheed Martin Corp., Grand Prairie, Texas, was awarded a $200,000,000 modification (0001 03) cost-plus-incentive-fee contract W31P4Q-17-G-0001 for Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, Phased Array Tracking to Intercept of Target (PATRIOT), Advanced Capability (PAC-3) missile segment enhancement integration and PATRIOT launch on remote development. One bid was solicited with one bid received.  Work will be performed in Grand Prairie, Texas, with an estimated completion date of Feb. 28, 2022. Fiscal 2018 research, development, test and evaluation funds in the amount of $10,500,000 were obligated at the time of the award. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, is the contracting activity.

Online bring_it_on

« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2018, 07:30:45 am »