Register here

Author Topic: F-117A spotted flying over Nevada: CONFIRMED  (Read 44391 times)

Offline Vulcan652

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: F-117A spotted flying over Nevada: CONFIRMED
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:23 pm »
Nice links, thanks for posting.  How cool to be the official Lockheed photographer.  I suppose on the plus side you get to see and photograph some awesome technology.  Downside is that half of your portfolio is classified!

Offline flanker

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2011, 09:40:29 am »
I had a former F-117 maintenance guy coming through school to be a flight engineer and he said that 4 airframes are flying out of the other base North of Nellis. The ones in storage at Tonopah are being cut up and buried out on the range so nobody will ever have access to them. Sad end for an airplane that served it's country so well.

Yep...he said 4 flyers and 2 maintenance spares for parts. I guess they took the 6 lowest time airframes. Another guy who was a 117 pilot that took a few to Tonopah from Holloman said that the pilots currently flying them are retired AF and work for Lockheed as contractor pilots. That has to be a fun job.

Wow, with 4 flying frames i guess you can cover wide specter of different tasks, not just RCS coatings for F-35...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:15:40 am by flanker »
Push the envelope,watch it bend.

Offline Vulcan652

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:44 am »
Is it possible these could be the reactivated F-117 airframes (see attachments)?  These are the only public images I know of of the stored jets at TTR.  While the first image shows more F-117s (with 832 in the foreground) than the second, which shows only 4 aircraft in the hangar, they look like the same aircraft in both photos.  I know there's no way of knowing for sure, but the slight colour differentials (including Gray Dragon) and similarities in the ways the jets' canopies/intakes are masked etc, suggest (to me, at least!) they might be the same. With that in mind, I initially wondered if 832 (removed from the hangar in second photo) was the one flying again.  After reading the above it got me wondering whether all these jets are involved?  Probably a long shot, but fun to think about!

Offline flanker

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »
If you take a look above, i gave piece of information there that says there is 4 frames flying. ;) And those pictures are old.

Offline Vulcan652

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2011, 03:03:44 pm »
If you take a look above, i gave piece of information there that says there is 4 frames flying. ;) And those pictures are old.

Yep, I saw your post after I added my ill-researched questions - my bad :)  Do you know if the airframes have already been cut up?

Offline flanker

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2011, 03:06:25 pm »
The ones that are/have been flying? I have no idea.

Offline Vulcan652

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2011, 03:20:21 pm »
The ones that are/have been flying? I have no idea.

Sorry no, not the flying ones.  I meant the remaining ones in storage...

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.

Offline Spongthrush

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2013, 01:47:47 pm »

Finally got round to the high-res photo.  Most likely callsign was DOBBY17.

Whilst I admit an F-117A at 22000ft is relatively quiet it's quite distinctive with the naked eye.  Given that we have only spent a day near Groom three times in 4 years and seen a F-117A on two of those occasions, it sounds like they must fly often or I need to do the lottery. 

Ian

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2013, 05:30:30 pm »
Topic's title changed. Nothing "alleged" anymore... we now have pics.

Offline DSE

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2014, 12:31:52 pm »
Guest Post From the Archives: Revisiting the F-117A Revelation
 Posted by Sean Meade 2:32 PM on Mar 11, 2014 

William Scott writes:

A fuzzy, low-quality photo of an airborne USAF/Lockheed F-117A Nighthawk on the May 1, 1989, cover of Aviation Week & Space Technology marked a milestone event for the magazine. It was the culmination of eyewitness reports AW&ST editors had received for several months, indisputable proof that the "stealth fighter" was being flown on daytime training missions several hundred miles from its Tonopah, Nev., home base.

However, getting that photo of an F-117A had been tough. Since my AW&ST home office was in the California high desert, near Edwards AFB and the nation's civilian flight test center in Mojave, my phone rang every time someone spotted a Nighthawkóday or night. One dedicated "watcher," who worked for an aerospace contractor and lived in Mojave, never hesitated to call in the wee hours, excitedly reporting the latest F-117A flyover.

Link to original AvWeek article outing the F-117 at the end of the post

William B. Scott is former AW&ST Rocky Mountain Bureau Chief (retired in 2007) and the author, The Permit, a novel based on actual events.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:54:04 pm by DSE »

Offline kcran567

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2014, 08:49:48 pm »
Maybe testing some new stealth countermeasure equipment?

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2014, 10:54:28 pm »
Maybe testing some new stealth countermeasure equipment?

The F-117s have supported several programs. Speaking broadly, this has mostly been as a VLO target for.... Things. Doesn't mean "stealth countermeasures". FME, EW, seeker tests, benchmarks for other programs, testbed for magical RAM.
Not a super sexy UCAV or special operations strike squad or anything of that nature.

Offline seruriermarshal

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2014, 06:32:08 am »
More