Register here

Author Topic: 1/96 Scale Big Apollo CSM Card Model  (Read 4690 times)

Offline SAustin16

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Bravo to All Brave Test Pilots
1/96 Scale Big Apollo CSM Card Model
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:38:49 am »
Good Day To All,

The proposed follow-on to Gemini, the Big Gemini Logistics spacecraft was to deliver supplies and personnel to the upcoming military and civilian space stations of the early 1970's.

I wondered what a "Big Apollo" Logistics spacecraft might have looked like if North American had extended the profile of the Apollo CSM as a competitor to Big Gemini.  Here's my completely conjectural card model of Big Apollo that would ride to orbit on top of an S-IVB.  Designed in Metasequoia and the details worked in MSWord.

Please excuse the poor workmanship...this was the fit-test prototype build and I wanted to see how gold foil (candy wrappers) would look.  At 1/96 scale, the photos show a lot of problems that the eye doesn't see from a distance (I hope).

Steve Austin

Offline Michel Van

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: 1/96 Scale Big Apollo CSM Card Model
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:43:05 am »
it's look cool !

I love Strange Technology

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:03:35 am »
I wondered what a "Big Apollo" Logistics spacecraft might have looked like if North American had extended the profile of the Apollo CSM ...

There were several such designs. The Lockheed BALLOS springs to mind, as does a North American "space bomber" design.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline SAustin16

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:18:50 am »
Thank you for the kind words Gentlemen.

And for the lead on Ballos and the NAA Space Bomber.  I'll check those out.

Offline SAustin16

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 06:34:39 pm »
Still completely conjectural.  Big Apollo launched on top of an S-IVB rendevousing with it's big brother launched on an S-II.  Flying formation then docked nose to nose.  Both 1/96 scale card models.

Offline OM

• OMBlog
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:59:05 pm »
I wondered what a "Big Apollo" Logistics spacecraft might have looked like if North American had extended the profile of the Apollo CSM ...

There were several such designs. The Lockheed BALLOS springs to mind, as does a North American "space bomber" design.

...Got links for BALLOS, Scott?