I was hoping they would stick to the previous configuration. It looks like everyone is going to make delta wings for their next gen fighters. What would you call this layout, trapezoidal delta? With lerx and twin tails?

And more...
Gotta say, it keeps growing on me. I'm sure it'll be a good bang for the buck for the VVS by 2030.
The interesting part is it's specifically part of a generation, widely expected to include only oversized, twin-engined planes.

From Russia at that, a country not exactly known for small planes for quite a while already.

And more...
Gotta say, it keeps growing on me. I'm sure it'll be a good bang for the buck for the VVS by 2030.
The interesting part is it's specifically part of a generation, widely expected to include only oversized, twin-engined planes.

From Russia at that, a country not exactly known for small planes for quite a while already.
Who knows? It might very well turn out that the planes of the future won't carry much ordnance themselves, and will act only as a sensor/C&C platform, they'll the weapons to companion drones. It's certainly plausible that an S-70+Su-75 combo will be competitive with a Su-57 both in terms of cost and capability.
NGAD and the Europeans are constantly talking about drone swarms and combat clouds, and Lockheed just shared an image of what might be their NGAD contender, and it looks positively tiny.

They're switching back to all moving vertical tails? That's a surprise. Thought they learnt from the su-57 that it ended up being overweight due to extra RAM use to make up for RCS increase.

I think it is interesting that they changed the layout after a while. They had a scale model of it for a long time, and recently they changed it to this design. I was also hoping to see updates to the su-57, but it looks like the design was pretty much set from the first prototype. Similar to what happened to the Mig-29.

My guess is they added the rear strake flaps to help push the nose down at high alpha, similar to what was on the X-29. However, they have to be shaped for stealth, hence their configuration. I wouldn't be shocked if it eventually ends up with a horizontal tail. Depends on the maneuvering requirements.

The engine went forward by 173 mm. The center of mass moved back by 526 mm. The wing area has grown from 60 m2 to 66.9 m2 (although I'm not sure I counted it correctly here). The area of the front view, and with it the midsection, decreased from 7.2 m2 to 6.98 m2. Taking into account the fact that the area of the top view has become larger, L/D has also increased from 11.7 to 12.36 (+5.7%)
The volume of the airframe has practically not changed 52.63 m3 versus 52.4 m3It is understandable, as the volume increases, so does the mass, and the engine has not grown yet. We need at least 20 tons on the afterburner.

Attachments

• iteration_2.JPG
    iteration_2.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 288
Will they even have a chance to export this thing? With all the sanctions, I don't expect previously interested countries to be wanting to make deals with Russia at this point

Will they even have a chance to export this thing? With all the sanctions, I don't expect previously interested countries to be wanting to make deals with Russia at this point

Ironically while originally pushed as an export only aircraft it may be Russia itself that becomes the customer as it has to cheaply refill its combat depleted airforce. Not that I am expecting it to move faster than any other Russian procurement program...

Ironically while originally pushed as an export only aircraft it may be Russia itself that becomes the customer as it has to cheaply refill its combat depleted airforce. Not that I am expecting it to move faster than any other Russian procurement program...
It was always understood this way.
esp. since by large modern VKS fighter force consists of those very 'export types'.

Ironically while originally pushed as an export only aircraft it may be Russia itself that becomes the customer as it has to cheaply refill its combat depleted airforce. Not that I am expecting it to move faster than any other Russian procurement program.
I feel like Russia would be better off concentrating efforts on its Su-30/35 programs. By the time this thing enters service, quite a few nations will be testing their six-gen prototypes, or be not far off from doing so.

Or they could somehow consolidate their programs, which might be worth doing

I wonder what may be the advantage of this unique control surface arrangement (blue) over the arrangement commonly used on combat aircraft (green)?

00000007_6.jpg

Attachments

• 00000007_8.jpg
    00000007_8.jpg
    983.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Ironically while originally pushed as an export only aircraft it may be Russia itself that becomes the customer as it has to cheaply refill its combat depleted airforce. Not that I am expecting it to move faster than any other Russian procurement program.
I feel like Russia would be better off concentrating efforts on its Su-30/35 programs. By the time this thing enters service, quite a few nations will be testing their six-gen prototypes, or be not far off from doing so.

Or they could somehow consolidate their programs, which might be worth doing

Focusing on Su-30/35 is a dead end given they're at best comparable to '90's F-15E.

6th gen aircraft could very well end up doomed by something as simple as a bureaucrat change. F-22 died, after all, and so did B-2. There's little reason to think any advanced combat system is safe in America. Russia may not get many Checkmate or Su-57 but it will be more useful for what Russia does in the medium to long-term, which is small scale wars like Syria.

Before Ukraine, this was a preference. After Ukraine, it will become a necessity.

I wonder what may be the advantage of this unique control surface arrangement (blue) over the arrangement commonly used on combat aircraft (green)?

View attachment 702958

RCS, weight and cost, I suspect. But as Sundog says, it's entirely possible that it could end up with the more traditional configuration you suggest. Commonality-wise (which is probably a consideration they are not going to accept significant compromises on) this isn't really any worse - perhaps they could use a cropped version of the Su-57 h-stabs.

EDIT: I am reminded of this:

Last edited:
But, what are the benefits over a conventional layout like the one used for the su-57 less signature? Less drag? Does the patent states them?

It does but not in this patent. It's in the old layout's patent.

Nvm.. i posted wrong patent. lemme find the proper one first.

This one RU2770885 :

Last edited:
Mildly curious, with all those patents, which versions are to be prototyped(if they will), and in what order if yes.
While the hype carrier is the manned fighter, the other 2 are just as interesting.

Mildly curious, with all those patents, which versions are to be prototyped(if they will), and in what order if yes.

Naturally they will start with single seat and 2-seater. UAV comes at last.

Also it could be safe to assume that the latest "frozen" design that will have flight prototype. At the current stage tho, as we see with the latest iteration, the design of the LTS is not frozen yet. Thus both patent may ended up the way it is, while the real flying prototype could be well different to the patent.

Attachments

• ABPC-SU75_1-scaled.jpg
    ABPC-SU75_1-scaled.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 132
  • ABPC-SU75-cover-1.jpg
    ABPC-SU75-cover-1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 128
  • ABPC-SU75_2-1024x768.jpg
    ABPC-SU75_2-1024x768.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 128
  • ABPC-SU75_4.jpg
    ABPC-SU75_4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 122
  • ABPC-SU75_3-scaled.jpg
    ABPC-SU75_3-scaled.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 196
I did think the other day that the Su-75 was possibly an even better application for the 2D nozzle recently revealed than the Su-57. No possibility of roll TVC with a single engine anyway, and the relatively buried installation seems to preclude yaw vectoring too. Might as well go for a stealthier 2D nozzle with a single axis of movement.