Yokosuka MXY7 « Ohka » ("Baka") suicide plane

Baka(馬鹿) measn fool. It's too hard name for Japanese. :'(

From; Samoloty odrzutowe 1939-1945

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    166 KB · Views: 134
Hi Can anyone cite a Japanese source confirming that "MXY7" was applied to production/operational Ohka, not just to prototypes?

I had read that late-war IJN special attackers didn't receive short designations (e.g. Nakajima "Kikka")...

Regards, Harry

From; Иванов Ю.Г. - Камикадзе. Пилоты-смертники (Мир в войнах) - 2001

Attachments

• B.png
    B.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 475
My main interest is in German aircraft but the Okha has always intrigued me.
As a model maker I would like to build a flying model of the two seat trainer, but until I discovered this thread, I had not seen any reliable drawings.

However there does seem to be considerable dispute as to WHAT that two seater actually was.

Francillons book on Japanese Aircraft states that just two of the two seaters were built and identifies the type as Model 43 K1 Kai -
i.e. that it was trainer for the later Model 42 and not for the Model 11.

Photos of the sole survivor clearly show it marked as MXY7 K2 ! and it is appears to the left hand aircraft in the well known postwar photo of two two seaters side by side.

The Model 43 K1 KAI was to have had a small rocket to assist with training - yet the rockets on the survivor are known to have been added by the Americans ! so at best it might be a Model 43 K1 glider.

When you look at photos of the two seater, its seems to be a Model 11 with a second cockpit section grafted onto the front fuselage and also has the relatively short span tailplane of the Model 11. One could say its a two seat version of the single seat MXY7 K1 single seat training glider.

The two seater lacks the long span tailplane of Model 43 and the much deeper rear fuselage.

So can I ask the experts if the support my feeling that this two seater has long been misidentified ?

Paul

http://sensha-manual.blogspot.ie/2017/10/ohka-based-interceptor-fighter.html

Mu17 said:
So can I ask the experts if the support my feeling that this two seater has long been misidentified ?

Paul

I will check from this Mu17,and welcome aboard.

Since my last post querying the true designation of the two seat trainer for the Ohka, Brengun has released a 1/72 model labelled MXY7 K1 KAI yet the aircrafts decal for the data plate clearly reads MXY7 K2 as on the sole survivor !

Coincidentally the sole survivor has been loaned by NASAM to the Pima Air Museum and replicas have been made of the missing wings and cockpit canopies but otherwise it is unrestored - finally they refer to it as K2.

It lso seems that no one has really answered the question as to whether the designation MXY7 applied only to prototypes and the K1 single seat trainer and K2 two seat trainer. Seems incredible that this should still be unclear for a type of such great notoriety.
Paul

Model 22 original drawing.

Attachments

• Ohka Model 22.jpg
    Ohka Model 22.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 155