Yellowstone going "fooom?"

His assessment is slightly off. At least we won't have to worry about people misinterpreting events and trying to smite people in the name of God, because an eruption of this magnitude will wipe out 95% of all human life instantly (along with the rest of life).

i hope it happen not...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/

another time bomb for USA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_earthquake

Just call me Ray said:
His assessment is slightly off. At least we won't have to worry about people misinterpreting events and trying to smite people in the name of God, because an eruption of this magnitude will wipe out 95% of all human life instantly (along with the rest of life).

"Instantly"? Sounds like something the MSM would say. More like over a period of months.

sferrin said:
Just call me Ray said:

"Instantly"? Sounds like something the MSM would say. More like over a period of months.

You're basically blowing up half of the United States and a big chunk of Canada. A nuclear winter scenario, while not exactly the least of your problems, isn't going to be by far the only one.

What will happen with eAPR subscriptions then? I demand nothing to happen at Yellowstone at least till v2n6!

Just call me Ray said:
sferrin said:
Just call me Ray said:

You're basically blowing up half of the United States and a big chunk of Canada.

Bah. Absolutely worst case volcanic explosion would cause serious damage over a radius of *maybe* a hundred miles. Look at a map of that part of the US... there's not a whole lot that close to Yellowstone. Where Yellowstone would cause trouble is the *vast* cloud of ash it'd toss into the air. And that'll take hours to days to weeks to get where it's going.

Here's the neato thing: depending on the prevailing winds, if Yellowstone goes off in the worst possible way... Scott Ferrin and I will either be among the first to die (buried under collapsing buildings, killed in the stampede to evacuate, suffocated by a bagrillion little glass razor blades chewing our lungs into bloody mush, etc. an hour or so after the first major eruption), or among the last. In the latter case where the wind blows the ash away from here, it'll have to go all the way round the world before it gets back to us, and it'll likely be realtively harmless by then. What'll finally get us won't be direct damage from the volcano, but the usual combo of sudden ice age, famine, economic and social collapse and, in the end, the radioactive zombie apocolypse caused by the full nuclear exchange between Pakistan, India, Iran and Israel, that eventually spreads to China and Russia slugging it out and obviously the French and the British finally settlings scores (you know they're gonna).

Just call me Ray,

How would it cause an instantaneous loss of life?

KJ_Lesnick said:
Just call me Ray,

How would it cause an instantaneous loss of life?

If you're in the caldera when it goes off, life will be pretty short. Everyone else gets to experience hours to years worth of wonderment as the environment goes straight to hell.
thumbs-up.jpg

But, if this gets to be known to a wider public, we at least can be sure,
that a lot of people will try to make money of it by selling dust-tight seals
for windows, special volcano ash shovels, portable generators, auxiliary
tanks for heating systems and generators, survival packs of all kinds ..
So, even if it won't happen, at least it could be a solution for the economic
difficulties ! ;D

Jemiba said:
But, if this gets to be known to a wider public, we at least can be sure,
that a lot of people will try to make money of it by selling dust-tight seals
for windows, special volcano ash shovels, portable generators, auxiliary
tanks for heating systems and generators, survival packs of all kinds ..
So, even if it won't happen, at least it could be a solution for the economic
difficulties ! ;D

Awesomesnowblower.jpg

The RR Nene powered snowblower. Also perfect for removing unwanted ash from your drive/house. :)

Yellowstone Caldera will go off 21DEC 2012. The we get the radioactive zombies.

Yeah, Nos-trou-d'anus predicted it as early as 1550 in a famous "poem"
::)

The RR Nene powered snowblower. Also perfect for removing unwanted ash from your drive/house.

Happy new year 2009,

Attachments

• Bykovo Airport, Moscow, Nov.2008.JPG
    Bykovo Airport, Moscow, Nov.2008.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 19
I'll bet they don't even have to pay the people who operate those things. ;D