X-planes of Europe: Secret Research Aircraft from the Golden Age 1947-1967

The Library Computer booted me off in mid rant.

Attachments

• VAk 191.jpg
    VAk 191.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 401
The Library computer kicked me off in mid rant.

I have just found a wall of decent images on the Google images site of the three 60s projects I mentioned not to mention the exhaustive Flight Archives and Wikipedia entries with links in a mere few minutes searching. Note this is not using any of my own material.

I appreciate that the 40s 50s stuff might be harder to find but all the more reason in the 21st Century for the artwork to be at least up to the standards of Air Enthusiast, Flight or the old Aircraft Profiles with decent black and white three views and coloured illustrations of the actual planes either as artwork or in more recent aircraft, colour photos. I realise there are numerous cost and copyright issues involved in this. But the X Planes book is not cheap.

Had the authors stuck to straightforward text with the occasional relevant photo or three view if possible the book could I suggest have either covered more ground or been cheaper. I have not yet read the text and if Waterstones have still got their copy I will give it a chance, but the photos and artwork are not even up to Gunstonian standards!

Attachments

• VAK 191 model.jpg
    VAK 191 model.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 390
My copy arrived today, have it now in my hand. :eek: B)
At the moment speechless, so my personal review will follow over the weekend. :) :)

I hate to pre-empt a colleague's comments but I suspect I owe anapology to the authors and to those on the board I have irritated by focussing on my narrow interests.

If you remove the sixties projects at the end and read the book as a work on Anglo French X planes from the beginning I now appreciate why the authors have produced it. The photographs and text about the 50s projects together in one tome are a major item. Even the side views for these aircraft are restrained and well drawn with the odd what-if which does not grate.

So, if you are looking for a definitive guide to British and French X planes up to 1963 or so then this is a major work and I should not have been so quick to criticise.

For anyone who is interested in the German and French vstol aircraft featured at the end of the book and wants some more info I commend the VSTOL wheel site ( a link is featured elsewhere on this site).

Sackcloth and ashes or a Clarkson "On that bombshell----"

Tony Butler has responded to the feedback:

I am pleased and relieved to see the arguments about the book have settled down. Many thanks to UK75 for his latest kind comments about the contents. I did make an error not seeking out more information on the German VTOL types - the drawings he has highlighted for example would have been a valuable addition.

It can be very difficult to get a book 'right'. For a big subject like this, which has a lot of ground covered quite often before, it was difficult to keep things under control when we were trying to approach it from a new angle. I was always conscious as well of trying to avoid duplication with British Secret Projects.

Jean-Louis' French contribution was splendid with many photos I had never seen before. I am delighted with Hikoki's production - I hope you all agree.

For those who are interested, British WW2 Experimental Aircraft went to the printers in early June and so should be in the warehouse I guess in about early August.
Once again, my thanks to everyone on the forum for your support. I am sorry I do not have time to contribute more often.
Very best wishes,
Tony.

Bought this today, and loving it.

1) Leduc. Weird, weird, weird. But hey, it worked.
2) Avro 707 (p59) - the caption to the photo in the lower right of the page refers to a "ventral" air intake; it should be "dorsal".

3) The Sud-Ouest Barouder. After the words "...not an original aircraft", the words "By a strange twist of circumstance, it is in fact all five of them" could easily be inserted.
4) I cannot look at the picture of the Deltaviex (p168) without thinking of James Bond's star turn in the Bede Acrostar. And I want one.

5) Just outstanding. With the exception of that dorsal/ventral slip, well done Tony and Jean-Louis.

Hi
I see that Crecy are listing a 2nd volume of this book for release in September, does anyone know if this is an expanded reprint or a totally new book following on chronologically from the last edition please?
Many Thanks
Alan

The new cover art says "1945-1971", so it clearly covers the same era. I think it will just be more types that didn't fit in the first book.

Yes, I should have noticed that!
I will have to see the two books side by side to see if I need just the 2nd edition or both.
Thanks
Alan

The current cover art of the second volume, from Crecy's website:

Attachments

• X-Planes of Europe II.jpg
    X-Planes of Europe II.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 408
I renew my request. Could anyone post a picture of the table of contents of this book?

thanks in advance

best

F_T

ToC for Vol 1.

Attachments

• X-planes Europe Vol 1 TOC.jpg
    X-planes Europe Vol 1 TOC.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom