X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle (OTV)

Article as regards the X-37B & its service module:

Some footage of the combination in space from the previous flight was mixed into the coverage of this flight.

I’ve seen it suggested that the X-37 maybe in a Molyniya type orbit which would be hard for amateur observers to track.

I’ve seen it suggested that the X-37 maybe in a Molyniya type orbit which would be hard for amateur observers to track.

And yet someone found it. It does appear to be in a highly elliptical orbit inclined about 59 degrees. Not sure if it's technically a molniya or not, but it's in the ballpark.

a Molyniya type orbit
Had to go look that up, even with as much as I like space stuff it was a thing I did not know.

The Molniya orbit combines high inclination (63.4°) with high eccentricity (0.722) to maximize viewing time over high latitudes. Each orbit lasts 12 hours, so the slow, high-altitude portion of the orbit repeats over the same location every day and night. Russian communications satellites and the Sirius radio satellites currently use this type of orbit. (Adapted from Fundamentals of Space Systems by Vincent L. Pisacane, 2005.)

The hunt for OTV-7:

So the X-37B is in Molniya orbit ? what it does here is anybody guess. I would hazard that Molniya orbit are a soviet / russian thing. Which brings THE question:
What kind of assets do the russians have in Molniya orbit that would be worth the X-37B "interacting" with them ?

By the way the Soviets have satellites spying the GEO belt comsats: so maybe the X-37B is doing something similar with russian comsats, which have often been in Molniya orbit for geographical reasons (makes more sense for Russia being a giant country north of the equator)

I think that the ellipsoidal orbit is more about maneuvering in the fast portion of it.
You need that kind of of trajectory to get low enough to use aerodynamics effects.
The slow portion give more time for Hall thrusters to alter the trajectory.
In effect, the heterogeneous characteristics of the X-37 are maximized that way.

I think that the ellipsoidal orbit is more about maneuvering in the fast portion of it.
You need that kind of of trajectory to get low enough to use aerodynamics effects.
The slow portion give more time for Hall thrusters to alter the trajectory.
In effect, the heterogeneous characteristics of the X-37 are maximized that way.
Not really. What Hall thrusters? That was just a test on a previous mission. Also, they would be too weak for setting up and ending dip into the atmosphere.

Anyways, the X-37 needs to have its payload bay open and its solar array deployed. These are not meant for repeat operations on orbit. it can only operate for a limited time with payload bay closed.

Last edited:
So the X-37B is in Molniya orbit ? what it does here is anybody guess. I would hazard that Molniya orbit are a soviet / russian thing. Which brings THE question:
What kind of assets do the russians have in Molniya orbit that would be worth the X-37B "interacting" with them ?

By the way the Soviets have satellites spying the GEO belt comsats: so maybe the X-37B is doing something similar with russian comsats, which have often been in Molniya orbit for geographical reasons (makes more sense for Russia being a giant country north of the equator)
The US uses Molniya orbit too. There is no equivlent to the GEO belt for Molniya

The orbits are too diverse to follow unless launched specifically in the same orbit as the "single" satellite that is to be monitored.

Not really. What Hall thrusters? That was just a test on a previous mission. Also, they would be too weak for setting up and ending dip into the atmosphere.

Anyways, the X-37 needs to have its payload bay open and its solar array deployed. These are not meant for repeat operations on orbit. it can only operate for a limited time with payload bay closed.
Nobody mentioned firing the thruster in the atmosphere but during coast-up and down leg from the apogee.

So the X-37B is in Molniya orbit ?

I see people arguing that it's not a Molniya because it isn't frozen; it processes slowly over the surface, which the true Molniya doesn't. I think. This is beyond my full comprehension but sharing for others.

Edit: this link should point to a comment by theradicalmoderate on the first page of comments.

Last edited:
I think a true Molniya orbit maintains an apogee over a specific geographic location. It was first used by communications satellites of the same name IIRC, with three satellites in the same orbit, with one on station in the high end of orbit. The Russians based the orbit over their country for relay. The U.S. uses the same orbit for ELINT satellites over Asia (TRUMPET series).

Nobody mentioned firing the thruster in the atmosphere but during coast-up and down leg from the apogee.
Neither did I. To dip in the atmosphere at perigee requires a delta V at apogee, not during the "legs" before and after. A Hall thruster is too weak for this.

We are not requiring a Voodoo like 50ft fly by ;)

The delta E gained extending the leg up and increasing the speed down (yes, elevating the Apogee) can be traded for skiming the high layer of the atmosphere and use the delta V to change the orbit.

That's it. I am not suggesting any amplitude here. It's only basic physics

Voodoo-Cuba-960_640.jpg

Not that yet(?!)

Last edited:
We are not requiring a Voddoo like 50ft fly by ;)

The delta E gained extending the leg up and increasing the speed down (yes, elevating the Apogee) can be traded for skiming the high layer of the atmosphere and use the delta V to change the orbit.

That's it. I am not suggesting any amplitude here. It's only basic physics
wrong, that is not how orbital mechanics work. Delta V affects an orbit at point 180 degrees from the point of application. To raise and lower the orbit into the atmosphere at perigee requires the delta V be applied at apogee. Once the orbit is lowered into the atmosphere, braking will occur and the apogee will be lowered.

Last edited:
Question: does the X-37 have enough fuel to recover from a GTO? I would think a huge amount of breaking would be necessary to slow to a survivable re-entry speed. Is the vehicle counting on atmospheric drag at perigee over time to allow it to recover? Is it possibly being expended?

Question: does the X-37 have enough fuel to recover from a GTO? I would think a huge amount of breaking would be necessary to slow to a survivable re-entry speed. Is the vehicle counting on atmospheric drag at perigee over time to allow it to recover? Is it possibly being expended?

Discussed here:

tl;dr Orbit will be circularized to LEO first, possibly by aerobraking at perigee