Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
I'm not positive but I think this A-20 is on Groom Lake. -SP

Attachments

• A-20 on Groom Lake.jpg
    A-20 on Groom Lake.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 273
It looks like an Avenger in the background. But I had no idea they were still flying A-20's when they began the U-2 program. As it's my understanding there wasn't an airbase at Groom until the U-2 program, at least based on the description of how Tony LeVier found it.

Wikipedia mentiosn that there was Indian Springs Airfield Auxiliary #1 field associated with the West Coast Air Corps Training Center at Las Vegas Air Field during WW2. While that field wasn't usable by the 1950s, it was very close to what became Groom Lake/Area 51. Perhaps these pictures were taken at the Indian Springs airfield? The background wouldn't look much different.

Sundog said:
It looks like an Avenger in the background. But I had no idea they were still flying A-20's when they began the U-2 program. As it's my understanding there wasn't an airbase at Groom until the U-2 program, at least based on the description of how Tony LeVier found it.
I believe it's a period photo because of the 1936 Chevrolet four door sedan in the image. -SP

I wonder if that isn't really Palm Springs Airport with Mount San Gorgonio in the background. Douglas did some XB-42 flight testing there during WW II. Having an A-20 for support/chase would not be unreasonable.

aim9xray said:
I wonder if that isn't really Palm Springs Airport with Mount San Gorgonio in the background. Douglas did some XB-42 flight testing there during WW II. Having an A-20 for support/chase would not be unreasonable.

Elevation of Palm Springs Airport (PSP) is 477ft AMSL. Mount San Gorgonio stands at 11,500ft. The peak in the background does not appear to be 11,000ft above the tarmac, but anything is possible. Next one to party in Palm Springs should take this photo from the same angle. The winner gets a free umbrella cocktail.

Attachments

• Mount San Gorgonio.jpg
    Mount San Gorgonio.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 154
Why do you think that is at Groom Lake? The mountain looks too high, and the terrain/vegetation does not look correct to me either.

Groom Lake was used during World War II by US ARMY and USAAF
it was 1941 the auxiliary airfield for the West Coast Air Corps Training Center at Las Vegas Air Field.
they used the ground for bombing and artillery practice (with war gas ?)
the auxiliary airfield was deactivated after the gunnery school at Las Vegas closed in June 1946
for next 9 years only gold/silver prospector use the airfield and buildings
in 1955 the CIA reactivate the auxiliary airfield for U-2 program