Woody's F-23 Super Ghost

Woody

Passionate about the advancement of technology
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sure the YF -23 was a pretty plane but didn't it loose because (apart from the politics) it wasn't as maneuverable as the YF-22 and couldn't carry as much? To fix that, on my 'might have been' I have:-

Extended the mid body forwards to increase internal volume for more weapons and fuel
Added canards and the F-22's thrust vectoring nozzles to increase maneuverability - accepting the loss of IR stealth as a trade-off
Placed the air intakes on top of the fuselage (you guys don't think that's a problem apparently) to allow for a bigger weapons bay opening
Angled the tail surfaces up to 60 degrees and reduced their size to help at high AoA as the canards would now assist in pitch

I haven't changed:-

The nose cone - I think the radar would fit and I don't want to mess up the stealth
The intake type - the YF-23 was supposed to be faster than the YF-22 so why change it?, and I don't want to mess up the stealth
The nose gear position as I want space up front for the radar.

Can't believe you guys don't think saw tooth edges are important - do you think they put them on every stealth plane ever - because they look nice? ;D

Enjoy, Matej and Flateric (and the rest of you). Woody

PS: Matej, I didn't use your drawing other than for possition but mine should fit over yours for comparison. Your drawing had a longer fuselage (obviously) but a skinnier rear and smaller tail surfaces than the original 3 veiw I worked from, any reason for this?

Attachments

• F-23_Proposed_Woody.jpg
    F-23_Proposed_Woody.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 1,246
Hi woody, i really love your aircraft, it is the best design f-23 ever.

regards

Pedro

Dear Woody:
Just it`s great. To me, it could be "THE PLANE" :(. Makes me wonder if it technology shall be used in the future... :eek:
Keep in touch

marcelo