Will your name be on the NSA list?

The bigger question: how many celebrities, political activists and the professionally offended will find their names *not* on the list, and get offended that they weren't important enough for the NSA to pay attention to?

Orionblamblam said:
The bigger question: how many celebrities, political activists and the professionally offended will find their names *not* on the list, and get offended that they weren't important enough for the NSA to pay attention to?

They better be able to scream louder than the Congressmen and Senators finding themselves on the list.... Those guys are gonna wail....

sublight is back said:
They better be able to scream louder than the Congressmen and Senators finding themselves on the list.... Those guys are gonna wail....

If there's a *single* congresscritter or senator *not* on the list, I want to know why. Politics aside, those people *should* be watched, given the power they have and the information they have access to.

& if I post on this thread does that qualify me for a snooping watch alert?

Or does everyone who visits this 'secret' forum.. ..auto-select themselves for a bit of an NSA nosey?

I guess the important thing is whether you earn enough points to validate an assets freeze or..
.. generate a high enough spot on the predator drone 'to do' list..

& I aint paranoid.. ..well.. a tad.. maybe.. ..not that there's anything wrong with that.. ..as far as you.. know..

I've seen my ASIO file. Similar to my father's actually in the comments. "Harmless but a sh!t-stirrer..." :)

Pull the other bloody one mate..

ASIO/ASIS are more likely to have written..

"No worries with this bastard - he's just a useless no-hoper - same as his old man, another bloody dreamer..."

No Paul, its the CIA which isn't supposed to spy on Americans in America, that is the FBI's job..

The NSA gets to check on.. "everyone-everywhere"..

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Isn't the whole point that the NSA isn't allowed to spy on Americans?

NSA is allowed to collect full-content data on US Persons if they have a FISA warrant. It's considered the same as a wire tap. FISA warrants are supposed to be restricted to counter intelligence and counter terrorism investigations.

NSA is allow to collect some kinds of meta data about the communications of US Persons without a warrant. This is an extension of existing legislature concerning "pen registers" - basically the information about what number called other numbers. That has not required a warrant for a long time.

The definition of a US person should be of interest:
http://www.nsa.gov/about/faqs/oversight.shtml#oversight3

NSA has historically jumped through a lot of hoops to minimize the amount of data on US persons they collect and retain:
https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/minimization_procedures_used_by_nsa_in_connection_with_fisa_sect_702.pdf

Prior to USA Patriot, etc. they were even more cautious. One of James Bamford's books provides some very good examples.
http://books.google.com/books?id=VqY4Wr3T5K4C&lpg=PP1&dq=inauthor%3A%22James%20Bamford%22&pg=PA441#v=onepage&q=clinton&f=false

J.A.W. said:
Pull the other bloody one mate..

Does it play jingle-bells? ;)

ASIO/ASIS are more likely to have written..

"No worries with this bastard - he's just a useless no-hoper - same as his old man, another bloody dreamer..."

ASIS doesn't spy on Australians unless they're overseas. ASIO agents' major qualification was once that they must be "an ex-British Army officer who can ride a pushbike." Nowadays, they have to be able to spell "Attorney-Generals Department" and drive a Commodore automatic. Every one I've known has been bloody useless.

They still get a Commodore to tool around in?

Tony will have them feckless spooks downgraded to a wee Toymota soon though.. I guess..

Anybody posting here.. got a set of those giant NSA 'golf balls' comm's units.. in their 'backyard' too?

"Greenwald to publish list of U.S. citizens NSA spied on."

Well, this is somewhat counterintuitive and contradictory, given his earlier intent to highlight the metadata side of things (in effect often more revealing than more traditional kinds of directed attention), the ubiquitous ease of access and/or the ultimate need to protect the individual lives and freedoms of people involved ("lives" as in every sense of the word, each of which isn't necessarily applicable to every individual). Lists of names, while pertinent to the issue, were supposed to be beside the larger point. Illustrating something through individual identities is not a neutral tradeoff.

During the course of the revelations it has become clear that the NSA perspective on privacy and accountability is a sort of a parallel universe to how those not on the observers' point in this virtual panopticon see things. While Snowden eventually found it impossible to allay the two viewpoints in his conscious person it bears remembering that he has effectively lived an intelligence community life for at least a decade and thus even now his actions must reflect a world of rationales that more casual web users could not possibly relate to even with the information he has disseminated. Furthermore, by his actions he has made it very difficult for himself to embody a layperson('s cognition), certainly not in the foreseeable future.

As a communication problem this is non-trivial and somewhat ironic as well: how does one understand something that is antitethical or external to oneself? What kind of understanding can that be? In a sense these problematics remind me of of the "expulsion from paradise" and the very deep questions about the nature of knowledge therein.

On a less existential level perhaps, this is also a reminder of a glaring double standard in the functioning on the NSA and the like: especially if one sets oneself up as "exceptional" (in its universal, aspirational "city set on a hill" guise i.e. in the belief that anyone can be equally "exceptional") then treating perceived out-groups (here: non U.S. citizens) as elementally less deserving or less capable of something belies either dishonesty or a deeply flawed methodology.

Dang U-F, that's some kinda ultra-highfalutin' vocabulary you going down there, fella..

Reckon maybe, that'll be a trigger for gettin' you on the NSA watch list.. ..s'posin' you aint made it already..

J.A.W. said:
They still get a Commodore to tool around in?

Either that or a Landcruiser. I used to road test (take them down the local take away at lunch time) them for them.

Tony will have them feckless spooks downgraded to a wee Toymota soon though.. I guess..

More likely they'll want Beamers or Mercs, just to "keep up" with their counterparts overseas. ::)