Why has Observers Book of Aircraft only survived in German?

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I am sure many here used to enjoy picking up the Observer's Book of Aircraft when it came out each year. I was surprised to find on my pre Covid trips to Germany that I could still buy a copy of an identical size and format book in German, albeit not in durable hardback.
Does anyone know how this came about?
I bet an English language copy would still sell even in the Internet era.

I follow the military book market. I know the most desirable books are selling. Once they go out of print, or sell out, the so-called "secondary" market sells them for a lot more. There is no "internet era." As someone who works in book publishing, I know most people prefer printed books.

There are many books out there that are only available in the authors native language. A
situation I wish would change.

The Observer's Guide to Aircraft probably it just got lost in the shuffle - the Observer's series runs to 100 titles. Someone at Penguin/Frederick Warne would need to be knowledgeable enough about the subject to select a new author and illustrator to replace the late William Green and his illustrator Dennis Punnett (who would now be in his late '90s).

Put another way, perhaps no enterprising aircraft enthusiast has yet thought to throw his own hat into the ring.

Just to clarify - this is the German equivalent which is still being published.

Flugzeuge der Welt 2021 by Claudio Müller-Schönmann
The last contiguous English edition authored by William Green I have on one of my bookshelves is from 1987. After that, I have 1988/89 and 1989/90 editions in German authored by Green, a parallel English (notably more voluminous) edition from 1989/90 also authored by Green, another two German editions from 1991/92 and 1992/93 by Green, and from thereon German editions by Claudio Müller until I moved to the USA in 1998. As to why that is so, it looks like we live in a fundamentally mysterious universe. Associated enquries can however be directed to Motorbuch Versand at https://www.motorbuch-versand.de/shop_content.php/coID/1/content/Kontakt.

Last edited:
I have an Observer's Airliners by Green & Swanborough (profiles by Punnett), 3rd Ed. 1991 (probably my first 'proper' aircraft book.

Penguin changed Frederick Warne into a classic children's book publisher many years ago and the Observer series was terminated in 2003. The 1980s-90s updated versions, including Aircraft and Airliners, were updated under the 'New Observer' branding (Aircraft was N1, Airliners was N4).
Airliners was printed in 1983, 1987, 1991, the last Observer Aircraft was 1993 I think.

What would you put in a 'new' observer's book?

Tubes?, spamcans? Drones? Choppers?

Chris

Seriously, what would go in? You could argue the case for everything, but that's not feasible. Observer's books always had a number of types that were being proposed but never saw air under their wheels. The Rockwell XFV-12 springs to mind, the fusion power of aviation.

I'd opt for types that you're likely to actually see, civil and military, but no light aircraft (spamcans) as there's too many. Helicopters, most of which come in civil and military variants. Twist my arm and I might even include the R22, the spamcan of helicopters.

My list would be Europe-oriented and include current military types, including Russian stuff plus bizjets and airliners (tubes) used by the military, which are many and varied. Airliners and helicopters (including those flown by the rozzers) and some drones

Drones - bigger stuff, not the nanos (which is what I assumed was meant by nannies) as, by design, you'd never see them. So UAVs that can carry stuff (maybe even parcels).

Sounds like anything with a gas turbine is in. I'd make an exception for the DA.42...

Chris

I'm genuinely interested in the contents page for the German book, just to see what they included.

Back
Top Bottom