Who recognizes this aircraft type?

WINNE

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Who can identify this aircraft?

Efforts have been made to include certain details which would be rather odd if this were just a decoration piece. A bump back below and two bumps on top of the fuselage, and no the largest is not for R2-D2 but a turret where the front one looks like a navigation dome. What makes this model special is the tail section that is extremely large. The cockpit section is traditional and not of the superimposed type. At first sight no glass nose, but that is not always detailed with other ID models.

Is it a fantasy plane?
I do not think so, I suspect this is a NATO identification model as it is similar in style to other models I own. (aluminium, size, style, color)

Given the construction of the aircraft, straight wing and nacelle engines, this must be something from shortly after WWII and before the arrow wing development and resembles that of TU-14, IL-28, but also B46 and other variants.

Is this a USSR prototype thought to be operational in the West? That wouldn't be the first time NATO made that mistake as I've seen such models before.

It probably scale 1/72, and there is a meaningless number series engraved on the bottom which is not compliant with other ID models. It doesn't look like a production serial number either because it's quite long. For the rest nothing to be found that could contribute to the maker, used or whatever. All those things together make it a strange model, it is a cast model so not made as a unique metalworking model. There must have been several made. The kitten's paw and heart were later added and I assume that there is no connection with the aircraft.

$_86 (3).jpg $_86 (6).jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 151
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 123
  • $_86 (3).jpg
    $_86 (3).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 25
  • $_86 (4).jpg
    $_86 (4).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Where did you found it? Could you please add information on sources?

Tupolev 509 ?.
Looks similar, but the whole tail section is different and rather explicit in shape.

To give an idea in attachment another id model a TU-14 Buson and a Tu4 turrets and corrosion details

Attachments

• KEIQ7435 (2).JPG
    KEIQ7435 (2).JPG
    659 KB · Views: 122
  • image2 (27).jpeg
    image2 (27).jpeg
    729.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image1 (26).jpeg
    image1 (26).jpeg
    770.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image0 (41).jpeg
    image0 (41).jpeg
    759.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
As I know,there is no Russian twin jet aircraft has a gun over the rear of
the fuselage,who did that Italy,so maybe Campini or Caproni ?.

There does feel to be something Tupolev-esque in the cockpit and armament layout, its not unlike studies like the Tupolev 88 for example.
I feel your hunch of it being something speculative based off a prototype or intelligence as a prospective recognition model is correct.
If you browse this thread you will find quite a few early 1950s twin-jet bombers that are similar to this model.

Looks
Hi guys,

Who can identify this aircraft?

Efforts have been made to include certain details which would be rather odd if this were just a decoration piece. A bump back below and two bumps on top of the fuselage, and no the largest is not for R2-D2 but a turret where the front one looks like a navigation dome. What makes this model special is the tail section that is extremely large. The cockpit section is traditional and not of the superimposed type. At first sight no glass nose, but that is not always detailed with other ID models.

Is it a fantasy plane?
I do not think so, I suspect this is a NATO identification model as it is similar in style to other models I own. (aluminium, size, style, color)

Given the construction of the aircraft, straight wing and nacelle engines, this must be something from shortly after WWII and before the arrow wing development and resembles that of TU-14, IL-28, but also B46 and other variants.

Is this a USSR prototype thought to be operational in the West? That wouldn't be the first time NATO made that mistake as I've seen such models before.

It probably scale 1/72, and there is a meaningless number series engraved on the bottom which is not compliant with other ID models. It doesn't look like a production serial number either because it's quite long. For the rest nothing to be found that could contribute to the maker, used or whatever. All those things together make it a strange model, it is a cast model so not made as a unique metalworking model. There must have been several made. The kitten's paw and heart were later added and I assume that there is no connection with the aircraft.
Looks like a solely jet powered Martin Mercator with revised tail.

By the way,

also Douglas company would adore with this tail unit ?.

I could have sworn that is from the hand of the japanese artist shigeru. artist plane Shigeru Kamatsudzaki.jpg

There does feel to be something Tupolev-esque in the cockpit and armament layout, its not unlike studies like the Tupolev 88 for example.
I feel your hunch of it being something speculative based off a prototype or intelligence as a prospective recognition model is correct.
If you browse this thread you will find quite a few early 1950s twin-jet bombers that are similar to this model.

It's such a strange airplane model and it's frustrating that we can't find a link. There are all indications that this is really based on "something" . While checking a number of original army/air force identification documents from the period 1946-1950 I came across drawings of USSR aircraft types that we now know under a different name (Tu10/IL28 or Tu10/Tu14) and types that have not progressed beyond a mockup or in best case a one off flying prototype. Taking into account the time period (Cold War) and contrary to what was publicly known, the military intelligence did have more detailed information. Although they were regularly misled by the Russians. It is therefore fascinating that there is often a provisional concept notice or updated version registration (date, update version, etc) on those documents.
Perhaps this scale model is also one of them, a preliminary concept of a Tu14 or IL28 based on the intelligence at hand?

Last edited:
Thank you for your contribution, these designs and drawings are all in line with the model. But I think those Tu-10 design tupolev_tu_14t_bosun-85997.jpg

eventually lead to the Tu-14.

If this model was made by the military, where the hell do they get that tail?

Honestly the main feature we should focus on is the unusual tail design, the model is still screaming (to me) "British" rather than "Russian", it isn't absolutely an Italian's design.

Please look to the AW 55 "Apollo" tail design:

1631603970675.png

Could it be a (proposed) jet version of the Armstrong Withworth Apollo?
Look to this original artwork:

1631604081536.png

The vertical tail is reminiscent of the Canberra, the horizontal surfaces being much narrower chord however. That might help date the design, I'd be surprised if it was much younger than circa 1953.

There is another possibility: the model looks like a strange mix, the fuselage resembles a North American XB-28 while the wing looks like much the North American B-45 Tornado's one. Only the tail appears to have a British ascendence but also Sikorsky (with their XBLR-2 and 3 designs) and Curtiss-Wright showed up unusual tail chord.

Anyway, I still bet on English ascendence since a bomber proposal that reached the desktop model stage would be already fall under Scott Lowther's radar....

@Orionblamblam any clue on that?

I think it was not from Russian,but we have also France,what about Nord ?.

You see the picture of my profile, it is an aerial torpedo that I want to identify without success until now, I have a post here of a Bell glide bomb also without continuation so sometimes we all have one or two things that escape us and we leave that to time to the various arcana of the destiny and a day will come or you will put a name on your unknown subject, that in the best of the cases if not we admit the hard reality and we put for ever on the tomb an epitaph unknown soldier Until then, good luck.Greetings.

Another plane that is fairly similar (but doesn't have the navigation dome or turret) is the Short Sperrin.

Hi,

Honestly the main feature we should focus on is the unusual tail design, the model is still screaming (to me) "British" rather than "Russian", it isn't absolutely an Italian's design.

From the shape of the engine nacelles, I would think that these probably house a jet engine type with a radial rather than axial compressor, which would probably fit the "British" vibes you're getting.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)