What's an Su-27SM3?

Jackonicko

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Due to delays in the PAK-FA development programme, the Russian Air Force wanted to buy Su-35s as interim fighter. With the global economic crisis the Russian government also decided to boast the Russian economy by investing in the defence sector. For Sukhoi this materialized in a $80 billion Rubles ($2.5 billion USD) contract for 12 Su-27SM3, four Su-30M2, and 48 new-built Su-35s, signed on August 18, 2009. All 48 Su-35 are to be delivered by 2015.

There has been speculation about a Su-27SM-style upgrade for existing Flanker airframes with Su-35 systems which was referred to as Su-27SM2. As flanker points out, the news item you quote was usually rendered as stating Su-27SM (basically Su-30MKK avionics) though, so I'd go with the typo theory unless somebody can offer proof to the contrary. The low number of 12 aircraft would also agree well with the notion of an extension to a current programme rather than acquisition of what amounts to a new type.

Infact, it would be at least as interesting to find out what the 4 Su-30s which are consistently mentioned by all sources are - Su-30MKK-derived or based on the MKI? Something else altogether (Su-35 innards)? New-built or upgraded from the handful of Su-30/Su-27PU (the latter would explain the small number)?

QuadroFX said:
Su-27SM3 is upgrade to the Su-35 level.

Right, and what is updated? To update Su-27 into Su-35 is a lot of work, it is better to just buy new Su-35's. And 99% of sources says it is SM that was bought together with Su-35 and Su-30's.

grOOmi said once that Su-27SM3 is Su-35S avionics packed in Su-27 airftame

flateric said:
grOOmi said once that Su-27SM3 is Su-35S avionics packed in Su-27 airftame

New frames, or just as update? I am just wondering if it enough power for Su-35S electronics inside usual Su-27.

Yefim Gordon reported the Su-30M2 are KNAAPO(sp?) ex-Su-30MK2 test and trials aircraft.

The Su-27SM2 was supposed to be the full up conversions with Su-35 avionics including Irbis radar, '14000' kg engines. It was canceled as too expensive.

Su-27SM3 retains the original N-001V radar, and is also credited with Su-35 'avionics'.

As I understand Su-27SM3 were an evolution of the Su27SM2 built with parts of cancelled license with China. This country had an agreement to produce 200 Su-27SK but after ~100 it was cancelled, thus Russia made use of the parts.

As i understand it. KnAAZ produced Su-27M3(spare parts from earlier export deals), is identical, bar the Tandem cockpit of KnAAZ produced Su-30M2. They have same avionics, radar, mfd's.
And they both use the AL-31-FM1(42 series product) from Soluyt, 13.500kgf.

And on a slight different note.
Irkut Su-30SM(2) are going to get same radar and engines as Su-35S in an effort to streamline and simplify service for VKS.

I am surprised that Sukhoi did all those upgrades of the standard Su-27 and not concentrate on the Su-27M (Su-35) from the start, it would make the issue of identification of the various variants of the Flanker family a whole lot easier. :confused:

I am surprised that Sukhoi did all those upgrades of the standard Su-27 and not concentrate on the Su-27M (Su-35) from the start, it would make the issue of identification of the various variants of the Flanker family a whole lot easier. :confused:

Hehe, they sort of did.
But a little annoying detail happen, the breakup of S U and all that jazz that followed.
Safe to say Su-27M developing stopped due to no more domestic orders, not even any state funding to keep develop the Su-27M.
It was all done by inhouse Sukhoi funding. KnAAZ did manage to survive the 90's due to various export.
KnAAZ did continue to export cheaper, less complex Flanker variant.

But the remenants of Su-27M did not resurface until mid 2000.
In 2008, the reworked, Su-35BM happen.

Hehe, they sort of did.
But a little annoying detail happen, the breakup of S U and all that jazz that followed.
Safe to say Su-27M developing stopped due to no more domestic orders, not even any state funding to keep develop the Su-27M.
It was all done by inhouse Sukhoi funding. KnAAZ did manage to survive the 90's due to various export.
KnAAZ did continue to export cheaper, less complex Flanker variant.

But the remenants of Su-27M did not resurface until mid 2000.
In 2008, the reworked, Su-35BM happen.

Thanks for the info haavarla, I am much less confused now.

Does anyone know the maker, precise nomenclature and appearance of the on-board comm radios in the SM3? There is unconfirmed information that some SM3 retained the VHF/UHF R-800L1 or L2 Lun sets and the R-864L-A HF sets from the previous Flanker incarnations, while some speculation is that the SM3 radios were eventually upgraded to the Su-35S standard, albeit the maker and appearance of the control panels remain unattested.

I Found my file Su-27SM3 still use N001VEP Radar like Su-27SKM and Su-30MK2

Attachments

• 1703407001769.jpg
    1703407001769.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 35
Is the N001VEP radar upgraded to communicate with r-77 and r-77-1 missiles?