What might have been in the GIUK

Evil Flower

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I made this little scene to sharpen up on my color and composition skills.

SneakingAway2.png

most wonderful work

GIUK stands for GIUK gap aka Greenland, Iceland and the United Kingdom gap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIUK_gap

From what I see, you have a strong command of color. I like it.

DamienB said:
Dramatic, but fire and smoke underwater??

I believe there are some mixes of fuel and oxidizer that will burn under water. The smoke and gases produced by those fires would rise to the surface.

Explosives and propellants actually are made to burn without using external oxygen. You simply can test
by throwing a firecracker into the water. My son did so last New Years Eve and it really went off under
the surface, with a small cloud of smoke coming up !

Exactly. The oxidizer is internal in typical propellants so they should still combust violently underwater. It is for this same reason that firearms can work in space.

Caption from the video: "Sparklers contain oxidizers. As a result, they are able to burn even when they are placed in an environment where oxygen is absent.

Oxygen for the reaction is provided by the oxidizers found in the sparklers.

Do NOT try this at home. Sparklers and fireworks cause too many injuries already!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4NaCeBFxwc&feature=related

Attachments

• Waterproof Fireworks Fuse.JPG
    Waterproof Fireworks Fuse.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 309
As a kid in the late 70s it was a walk to the hobbyshop for waterproof fuse. 12ft for a buck or two.

Okay, its not that realistic, but it looks good!

Just a note: fire under water is not any problem, but the shape of the fire and smoke is different, more compact with a lot of air bubbles from boilled water.

Matej said:
Okay, its not that realistic, but it looks good!

Just a note: fire under water is not any problem, but the shape of the fire and smoke is different, more compact with a lot of air bubbles from boilled water.

There is video footage out there shot from an ROV of underwater volcanic activity that would probably be good reference material for stuff like this.