Cancelled UK smart anti-tank munition

yellowaster

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I've been researching flight trials of a doppler-sharpened millimetric radar which took place in early 1990s (possibly 1990-4).

I've been informed (by an ex-project member) that:
Trial was in connection with a smart "fire-and-forget" UK anti-tank munition.
Used a dual-mode thermal-imaging/millimetric radar seeker.
Hardware and software by Marconi.
Project was abandoned (date unspecified). The French apparently demonstrated something similar (but larger) at Farnborough the following year.

That's as much as I've been able to glean. I initially assumed the project was related to SR(A)1238 but I can't find a good match in the proposals to meet that requirement as regards the dates and dual-seeker mode. Can anyone suggest what the cancelled munition might have been ?

I thought that too at first, but did MERLIN have a dual seeker towards the end?

Thanks for the replies. Merlin looks interesting but I'm not completely convinced it's the mystery project for two reasons. 1. Mystery project had dual MMW/IR seeker, and 2. The MMW used doppler beam sharpening (DBS). AFAIK, DBS requires an S-shaped approach to target, flying parallel to target for doppler azimuth resolution enhancement, then turn in to attack. I'm not sure how that would work out in an unpowered mortar bomb. I stand ready to be corrected though.