What if Germany did not go for the F-104

What's almost never talked about when it comes to the exceedingly high German losses. Was a simple combination of two factors as I see it.
The Germans suffered from insufficient training and experience. And the unforgiving conditions of the role they were carrying out..
It was an incredibly tough role,low level strike.

Edit to just add one thing I had a cousin who flew CF 5s,CF 104s and 18s and his comment was he spent his flying career mostly at low level and mostly scared.
The phrase that stuck was "Blink at the wrong moment and you're dead."

Last edited:
F-104G was the only game in town. Lockheed had no need to lubricate anybody and wasted their money on Strauss and Pr.Bernhard.

All true and well put. Germany had every incentive to choose the F-104 and did. But what if, in a bizarre twist (and this being an 'alternative history' thread), Germany did not go for the F-104? Who had the next best proposition - Grumman?
I'd say, realistically, the F-8.
I think that would have been way too heavy/sluggish/expensive for a country of the size of then West Germany. I could see the F-5A as much better suited for a pure nimble quick reaction interceptor at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom