What if, 18" Hood effect on WNT and the Hunt for Bismarck

Tzoli

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys know but there were 6 preliminary designs which was used as a basis for developing the Admiral class battlecruisers and HMS Hood.
No.1-3 were 4x2 15"/45 armed versions while No.4 was 4x1, No.5 was 3x2 and No.6 was 4x2 18"/40 armed versions:
View: https://i.imgur.com/zhb2wxR.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/fIjE20R.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/n1Kwcwp.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/hje3Yhb.jpg

Historically Design 3 were chosen for further development but what if this was not the case?
Now a what if scenario for you guys to think about:
How would the HMS Hood would effect the Washington Naval Treaty if were to be built to one of the 18" armed designs preferably the 3x2 or 4x2 versions?
Would she be scrapped imminently after the Conference?
Would she be re-gunned to the 15" or maybe 16" guns? (With possibly the RN keeping the guns and turrets for a possible war to re-equip her to the original 18" weapons? )
What would happen with the Nelsons?
How would this effect the hunt of the Bismarck and the following battle?

I would guess if she were built to the 18" design this would effect a considerable re-thinking of the late WW1 capital ship designs of the world navies,
the Japanese surely would likely redesign the Tosas and Amagis for 46cm and Kii and No.13 would be 46cm armed vessels from start.
USN, not sure if they would go for 18" or remain with the 4x3 16" for the South Dakotas implying more barrels to bear.
France and Russia would start developing their 18" equivalent guns sooner?
Germany, Austro-Hungary and Italy might starting to consider designing 18" calibre weapons?
The RN? Not sure if they would start developing the 16" Mark 1 and instead sooner develop the improved 18"/45 Mark II gun?

The US and Japan only allowed Hood to exist in the treaty regime because she had 15" guns, which were considered second-best in a world of 16" guns, despite being 7600 tons over the 35,000-ton limit set. I seriously doubt they'd allow a 45,500-ton ship with 18" guns to exist under the treaty regime. There would be extreme pressure on the British to either regun or scrap her, and equally intense pressure to keep her around as-is.

The US would probably not be changing their plans, given they only found out the particulars of Hood in 1918 OTL. By that time there's no time to change the core characteristics of the 1916 ships - the Colorados are already under construction, the South Dakotas are a finished design, and the Lexingtons are just undergoing a major redesign themselves and there's only so much that can be done with them.

The likes of Italy, Austria, Germany, and Russia are too broke or too nonexistent to do much, while France was already working on a 17.7" guns.

The wild card is indeed Japan, depending on when they find out about Hood's main battery. If they find out the same time the Americans do they're stuck with the Tosas and Amagis as IOTL, both of which had had their designs finalized already. It's with the Kiis that you'd start seeing changes.

The RN? Not sure if they would start developing the 16" Mark 1 and instead sooner develop the improved 18"/45 Mark II gun?
No. The Royal Navy came to the 16" caliber for the G3s honestly, namely that the 18" designs were too big for existing docks and all attempts to reduce size produced unacceptable compromises elsewhere.

It's possible that the USA and Japan may have bargained another 16in battleship each as a balance, so the USN might save USS Washington (BB-47) and Japan getting one of their Amagis completed as a battlecruiser (two others becoming carriers still). And perhaps the UK might have lost one new-build ship so only could build Nelson for example.

I can't see the British delegation accepting her scrapping unless they were allowed to replace her with another Treaty compliant ship, so perhaps building a third Nelson?

Re-gunning to 15in would be an option given the spare turrets from Courageous and Glorious when they are earmarked to be converted into carriers. But if the AH 18in Hood is a 3x2 turret ship then the end result is not much different from Renown and Repulse and again would be difficult to countenance that in the face of the 16in gunned opposition.

The other option of course would be for Britain to rebuild Hood as a carrier instead of one of the "Weird Sisters" but still leaves them short of a modern battleship and would take up around 40,000 tons of their carrier tonnage allocation. At this stage I don't think the American and Japanese negotiators would be necessarily canny enough to see a carrier Hood as being more powerful and resisting calls for a new-build Treaty legal 16in replacement (third Nelson).

So for me its a choice of two options, have Hood listed as an exception and sacrifice a future Nelson or save Hood in some modified form but pout with 16in envy and try and get a third Nelson as compensation.
If the US and Japan can each get an extra ship by allowing 18in Hood to remain I think they would agree, which is a much better outcome that having Hood neutered but having to give away another new-build replacement and letting the RN have three brand-new ships.

As for the Bismarck battle, the weather, time of day and tactical disposition doesn't give an 18in Hood much advantage to use her guns at long range. And she would likely still be poorly armoured, even if its a 3x2 turret ship I can't see her having much more armour given her weight. So for me the chances of a chronic kaboom are just as high.

Of course with the butterfly effect we have to consider that fatal hit, if she is a 3x2 layout that shell might not hit the same place and the magazine layout aft would be different so its possible the hit doesn't prove critical.
Then its a slogging match and all bets are off.

Hood has the bigger guns but slower rate of fire, PoW still has jamming turrets, Hood still has weak armour. A few hits might damage Bismarck sufficiently to make her break off and retreat back north but I don't think Hood's guns could sink Bismarck alone. She took a lot of punishment from KGV and Rodney firing at effectively point-blank range - which was the wrong tactic. If Hood had attempted the same she might have battered Bismarck but it would have needed Suffolk and Norfolk to have delivered a torpedo coup de grace, assuming they don't have their hands full keep Prinz Eugen occupied.

With respect if Hood had 18 inch guns then a lot of what followed in actual history is likely to be very different.

As examples:
- The Hood is no longer the Hood we know; less scope for the up-armouring undertaken before completion, hence having a significantly weaker protection scheme?
- Subject to comments above the US is unlikely to allow the UK and only the UK to have a modern 18 inch armed battleship. In reality the US was satisfied that the large majority of it battle-line couldn’t catch but could match or better the Hood in terms of protection and firepower - hence while the Hood has the theoretical option of retreating/ running away most “standard” US battleships had at a 50/50 chance (or better) in a sustained gun duel. If that changes the US are likely to take a very different view of the Hood. Appears highly unlikely Japan greatly keen on this 18’ gunner Hood either. The Washington Treaty provisions are going to be radically different and not necessarily in ways convenient or favourable (or even particularly palatable) to the UK (who couldn’t afford a naval race with the US, a race they knew would ruin them economically and which they would inevitably loose).
- In this context the subsequent classes of battleships, battlecruisers produced are not going to be the same as we know them. We are not going to be talking about 14 inch gun armed George Vs (including the PoW) and a theoretical Bismarck is not going to be the same Bismarck from actual history.

The differences in this alternative history versus actual history just spiral out way before we reach the build up to and WW2 itself.
So all in all is this just a convoluted way to theorise in what scenario or scenarios the Bismarck doesn’t relatively easily destroy the Hood? If so maybe scenarios that involve rebuilds that improve its protective scheme probably the more logical place to start.

With respect if Hood had 18 inch guns then a lot of what followed in actual history is likely to be very different.

As examples:
- The Hood is no longer the Hood we know; less scope for the up-armouring undertaken before completion, hence having a significantly weaker protection scheme?
- Subject to comments above the US is unlikely to allow the UK and only the UK to have a modern 18 inch armed battleship. In reality the US was satisfied that the large majority of it battle-line couldn’t catch but could match or better the Hood in terms of protection and firepower - hence while the Hood has the theoretical option of retreating/ running away most “standard” US battleships had at a 50/50 chance (or better) in a sustained gun duel. If that changes the US are likely to take a very different view of the Hood. Appears highly unlikely Japan greatly keen on this 18’ gunner Hood either. The Washington Treaty provisions are going to be radically different and not necessarily in ways convenient or favourable (or even particularly palatable) to the UK (who couldn’t afford a naval race with the US, a race they knew would ruin them economically and which they would inevitably loose).
- In this context the subsequent classes of battleships, battlecruisers produced are not going to be the same as we know them. We are not going to be talking about 14 inch gun armed George Vs (including the PoW) and a theoretical Bismarck is not going to be the same Bismarck from actual history.

The differences in this alternative history versus actual history just spiral out way before we reach the build up to and WW2 itself.
So all in all is this just a convoluted way to theorise in what scenario or scenarios the Bismarck doesn’t relatively easily destroy the Hood? If so maybe scenarios that involve rebuilds that improve its protective scheme probably the more logical place to start.

Assuming the 18" Hood's history is broadly similar to what actually happened, aside from the decision to pursue concept 4, 5 or 6 from those kindly shown by @Tzoli , she would have been an oddity and an orphan during 1921 when the Washington conference negotiations were taking place. Just like the actual Hood, she would still have fundamentally been a pre-Jutland ship and on the quoted displacements almost certainly vulnerable to 16" shellfire - the participant nations would have been able to figure that out with ease. In short, the two new-design post-Jutland capital ships (Rodney and Nelson) the Royal Navy was allowed to build under the treaty would have made a far greater contribution to British naval power than an 18" Hood.

The Washington Treaty also built in an automatic scrappage scheme. So whilst Hood was retained it was determined in the Treaty (Chapter 2, Part 3, Section 2) that she would be scrapped in 1941 whilst her successor would be constrained by gun calibre and displacement limits imposed by the Treaty. It is true that the Treaty was to expire on December 31st 1936 but in 1922 the general assumption was that this would be enduring.

In this context the nations at the Washington conference, who IRL managed to produce a remarkable feat of arms control as a product of aligned objectives would have had two choices:

1. Fixate on a single ship carrying 18" guns that was obviously poorly protected and of largely pre-Jutland design and on that basis demand completely different allowable capital ship characteristics that would immediately create a new naval race - the very thing they all wanted to avoid

2. Negotiate a rational solution in the spirit in which the conference was conducted. Sub-options could have been Britain scrapping or converting Hood to a carrier as an act of good will or the UK retaining Hood but not being allowed to build one or both of the post-Jutland battleships that in reality were of greater significance to her naval power

Number 2 seems more likely. Not sure why the KGVs wouldn't get 14" guns, they were a product of the 1936 London Treaty that managed, albeit very briefly, to restrict new construction capital ship calibre to 14" in the UK and US. In fact they prove the point, it was possible to negotiate a treaty that reduced the main armament calibre of future ships whilst extant ships retained a larger calibre. And there was significantly more good will in 1921/22 than there was in 1936, as demonstrated by the willingness to allow the UK to retain a ship that was of 8,400 tons greater displacement (according to figures reported in the treaty) than any other capital ship in existence, and 6,200 tons over the future displacement limit whilst building two brand new vessels that would be the most modern in the world. It therefore seems entirely possible that in the scenario @Tzoli presented the difference could have been, instead of Chapter 1, Article VI of the Washington Treaty stating:

No capital ship of any of the Contracting Powers shall carry a gun with a calibre in excess of 16 inches (406 millimetres).

It would have adopted the language of Chapter 1, Article V and, bold being my alternative history edit, stated:

No capital ship carrying carrying a gun with a calibre in excess of 16 inches (406 millimetres) shall be acquired by, or constructed by, for, or within the jurisdiction of, any of the Contracting Powers.

As such, Hood would have had a very similar, if not identical, history to the one she actually had just carrying guns of 2 inch greater calibre. That said, were I the RN I would probably have offered to convert her to a carrier, recognising the impact that would have on my carrier tonnage limit, and attempt to negotiate to build three new capital ships rather than two as that would offer a much greater capability uplift in the interwar period. To expand on that, scrapping Argus it should have been possible for the RN to remain within its 135,000 ton carrier tonnage total as defined by Chapter 1, Article 7 of the Washington Treaty whilst also converting an AH 18" Hood to a carrier. Rodney and Nelson could then be built as they were and the third ship could be a battlecruiser, perhaps a derivative of the November 1921 F2 but with three twin 16" turrets instead of the 15" weapons it was drawn with. That feels like a much more useful pair of ships than either an 18" Hood or Hood as actually built.

@Tzoli also posted this at the AllTheWorldsBattleccruiser forum and the reply from John French is, as ever, fascinating.

Last edited:
On a different forum I've got this answer:
JohnFrench:
The one thing that has always struck me about Hood is that she was an awful lot of ship to just carry eight 15-inch guns at 32 knots. This impression has only been reinforced as I got more and more familiar with the design of Renown and the wider design debate.

Going by Eustace d’Eyncourt’s initial calculations, 28 December 1914, Renown was estimated to be a 25,750 ton design, of 750ft length between particulars and 90 ft beam, 6-inch belt, which carried six 15-inch guns at 32 knots. To carry eight 15-inch guns, d’Eyncourt estimated required 29,100 tons, of 780ft length between particulars and 92ft beam, with speed reduced to 31 knots. That is an additional 3,350 tons for the extra turret and increased size of both citadel and hull.

Due to a couple of, in my opinion, indefensible reasons, Renown’s boilers were of the inefficient large tube type which were heavier and occupied far more space than the equivalent power rating of the small tube boilers that were available. By duplicating, with additional boilers, the machinery layout of the light cruiser Calliope with her small tube boilers and geared turbines (rather than the large tube boilers and direct drive of Tiger), There appears to have been the scope to fit the fourth turret within the length of the existing citadel of the 25,750 ton design. With the weight saved by using a reduced number of the more powerful small tube boilers, it seems that there might have been no need to increase the beam much more than 6-inchs as this small increase, along with lengthening the hull 780 feet, should have provided the buoyancy to carry the estimated 1,000 additional tons while maintaining the 32 knots.

Hood’s estimated design stats were 36,300 tons, of 810ft length between particulars and beam of 104ft, 8-inch belt, and carried eight 15-inch guns at 32 knots. Hood required a whopping additional 7,200 tons to basically achieve what the 29,100 ton version of Renown (and about 9,000 tons more than a small tube boiler Renown) did to the betterment of a measly 1 knot. Granted the Hood preliminary design is better protected with more extensive vertical coverage, but still, the armour is only eight inches at its thickest the vertical extensions beyond what Renown carried being of only 5 and 3 inches. Hood’s barbettes and gun houses were certainly heavier; 9-inch vs 7-inch and 11-inch vs 8-inch. Also, Hood’s more extensive torpedo defence system would have consumed far more weight than Renown’s more modest effort. However, the extra 7,000 to 9,000 tons required still seems excessive, especially since Hood had the weight and space saving benefits of small tube boilers denied Renown.

A second thing that has always struck me about Hood is the huge volume of wasted space within her citadel. While her engineers undoubtedly luxuriated within engineering areas more spacious than any other design that I have studied, it is a very inefficient use of space and it appears that Hood’s citadel could have shortened considerably for substantial weight savings. Hood shows clear evidence of being a very inefficient design, both size and displacement wise, and it appears that no-one has ever asked why.

I believe that the answer lies in Hood’s secretive origins as a 30,000 ton battle cruiser, of 760ft length between particulars and 102ft beam, which carried six 18-inch guns at 30 knots. This was an “off the books” design d’Eyncourt was doing secretly for Fisher which is why it never appeared in any official Admiralty documentation. After Fisher left the Admiralty in May 1915, d’Eyncourt continued to develop it. I understand that the model d’Eyncourt made of it in early 1916 may be on display at Kilverstone Hall.

The official Admiralty designs that were being worked on at this time was the series of 25 to 27 knot battleships, all carrying 8x15-inch guns, which, when shown to Jellicoe, were promptly rejected with a demand for 30 knot battle cruisers: Yesterday! The only 30 knot battle cruiser design available was the one being quietly worked on for Fisher and it is clear that this was the basis for the design’s d’Eyncourt rapidly produced for the Admiralty out of nowhere; and why so many of them had 18-inch guns despite the Admiralty having no interest in 18-inch guns They hadn’t even asked for any 18-inch gun designs.

This is the only incidence that I know off were a design had to be adapted to take a lighter armament (it is usually the other way around), and the lack of experience in doing so, combined with the rushed nature of the project, is probably the cause of the inefficiency’s in Hood’s design. Even after the up-armouring of the design occurred following Jutland, d’Eyncourt did mention that with some additional modifications to the design, Hood could have carried four triple 15-inch gun turrets; a frank admission on how inefficient the design was and also on how under-gunned Hood was.

To summarise: I believe that Hood is either a 6x18-inch or a 8x18-inch design poorly adapted to carry 8x15-inch guns.

With that lengthy spiel out of the way, let’s look at the questions:

How would HMS Hood affect the Washington Naval Treaty if were to be built to one of the 18" armed designs preferably the 3x2 or 4x2 versions?

I would guess that the effect would be near zero. With the development of the new 15-inch AP shells in 1917, Hood became obsolete. Tests against a mock-up of her armour scheme showed that she was basically defenceless against them (and we ae only talking about 15-inch shells here, not 16-inch). With hindsight it is clear that she should have been scrapped immediately. However, from the perspective of 1917, the war looked like it would go on for several more years and Hood and her sisters were expected to complete in time to participate. Against the shells the German Navy was using, Hood’s armour scheme was more than adequate. However, the war ended quite abruptly, and unexpectedly, in late 1918 and the Navy found itself in possession of a white elephant. The enemy against which she had been designed to fight was no more and with the allied developments of AP technology, Hood was one trick pony unable to be adopted to face the navies of either the USA or Japan. I don’t know about the Japanese, but the Americans certainly were aware of this and knew that Hood was more of a liability than an asset in the post war world. Her excessive tonnage alone gave the US political leverage to whittle down Britain’s fleet size. Pushing it by humming and hawing over her gun calibre could very easily have derailed the conference which was not in the USA’s interest. From Baron Kato’s remarks in the conferences minutes, it seems that Japan would also not have been bothered at all about Britain keeping an 18-inch gunned Hood as they fully supported Britain’s stated desire to build two G3’s. As for France and Italy, their views mattered not at all to the big 3 (and Austria-Hungry no longer existed with the separate rump states having neither coastline nor navy).

Certainly not. She cost the British taxpayer something like £6-7 million pounds and to the British Public she was brand new and the epitome of British sea-power. Even a suggestion to convert her to an aircraft carrier would have likely seen a political backlash the like of which no politician ever wants to face. I believe that the American’s would have understood that this re-line existed for the British side and pushing that boundary, as they possibly would have if they chose to make her guns a major issue, was not in their interests. Due to British public perception, Hood was politically untouchable.

Would she be re-gunned to the 15" or maybe 16" guns? (With possibly the RN keeping the guns and turrets for a possible war to re-equip her to the original 18" weapons? )

No, as I mentioned in the previous answer, Hood was politically untouchable. Being the only 18-inch gunned warship in the world, especially after the conference basically gutted British sea power, would only make her more so. White elephant she may have been to those in the know, but to everyone else she was the symbol of the power and prestige of the British Empire. Replacing her guns would be the equivalent of demanding that the Americans demolish the west wing of the White House.

They would still be built, but possibly with 15-inch instead of 16-inch guns. I reckon that this is as far as the Americans could have pushed the gun calibre issue. While the issue of Britain having 16-inch gunned ships to match American and Japanese 16-inch gunned ships was the public face of Britain’s argument for building two new ships, of more concern was having at least two ships with proper protection both against the new shells and torpedoes. Also, British politicians weren’t quite ready to shut down their armament industry and throw even more people out of work than they already had, which is what would happen if all building stopped. Whether they knew it or not, building the Nelson’s with 15-inch guns would have been a far wiser move for Britain rather than introduce a non-standard calibre and the limitations the greater size and weight of 16-inch guns would place on the now tonnage restricted final design.

As Hood failed to score any hits prior to her destruction, I don’t see an 18-inch gunned Hood having any effect on this naval episode. If you are asking what would the effect be of Hood scoring 18-inch hits on Bismarck, then the results would have been devastating. Bismarck’s combat systems proved extremely fragile in the face of a handful of 16-inch hits. Against 18-inch hits, well, she can’t take them at all. 1-3 18-inch hits and I can’t see Bismarck’s fire-control still being operative and without that she is defenceless. Also, at the ranges Denmark Straits opened at, Bismarck’s engineering spaces and magazines are virtually unprotected against plunging 3,300lb 18-inch shells. However, as history demonstrated, Hood was not any more resilient to Bismarck’s 15-inch shells. The battle would go to whoever hit first.

Regards, John.

I very much respect John French's opinions. However I would question whether Hood was too famous to be a sacrificial cow at this time. She had barely entered service when the talks began, her famous Empire Cruise was not until 1924 so I'm not sure how much she would have been within the public psyche at this point in history having only done a Baltic cruise and served with the Atlantic Fleet. Not sure if any social historian has looked into this aspect, might be fascinating.

To expand on that, scrapping Argus it should have been possible for the RN to remain within its 135,000 ton carrier tonnage total as defined by Chapter 1, Article 7 of the Washington Treaty whilst also converting an AH 18" Hood to a carrier
I don't think would have been necessary, Argus, Eagle, Furious, Hermes, Langley and Hōshō were all classified as "experimental" and therefore did not count towards the totals under Article 8.
But I agree that converting Hood, Courageous and Glorious would have used up a lot of that allocation - using some 80,000 tons but the 60,000 tons left would be ample for a three 20,000-ton carriers after the holidays (which Britain by then seemed loath to build).
Whether Hood makes a better carrier than a "Weird Sister" is speculation for another day, but my gut feeling is no.

I very much respect John French's opinions. However I would question whether Hood was too famous to be a sacrificial cow at this time. She had barely entered service when the talks began, her famous Empire Cruise was not until 1924 so I'm not sure how much she would have been within the public psyche at this point in history having only done a Baltic cruise and served with the Atlantic Fleet. Not sure if any social historian has looked into this aspect, might be fascinating.

I don't think would have been necessary, Argus, Eagle, Furious, Hermes, Langley and Hōshō were all classified as "experimental" and therefore did not count towards the totals under Article 8.
But I agree that converting Hood, Courageous and Glorious would have used up a lot of that allocation - using some 80,000 tons but the 60,000 tons left would be ample for a three 20,000-ton carriers after the holidays (which Britain by then seemed loath to build).
Whether Hood makes a better carrier than a "Weird Sister" is speculation for another day, but my gut feeling is no.

I agree with you on HMS Hood's fame in 1921/22. I suspect that those of us with an interest in capital ships dramatically overestimate how much the rest of society would have cared about them at the time. In the specific case of Hood and the Washington Treaty, the UK was only 3+ years out of WW1 and had bigger things to worry about than an emotional attachment to warship that had been left behind by more recent design developments. It would be fascinating to know if anyone has looked into the social aspect of this though, as you say. I also have a lot of respect for John French and hope he is right that a model of Fisher's 6 x 18" battlecruiser survives at Kilverstone Hall, Fishers old home.

With respect to the treaty and aircraft carriers, my interpretation is that Article VIII merely exempted those vessels defined as experimental (essentially anything built or converted as an aircraft carrier or in that process by November 12th 1921) from the replacement age clauses in Chapter II Part III, Section I. However, they were still included in the tonnage limits defined in Article VII. Put another way, the aircraft carriers considered experimental could be replaced at the discretion of their owners rather than having to wait until they were 20 years old, but they still counted toward total tonnage.

Article IX as actually written would have allowed Hood or her 18" AH incarnation to be converted to an aircraft carrier as long as she did not exceed 33,000 tons, its the clause the US used to convert Lexington and Saratoga. It's almost too obvious as a conclusion. As to what a Hood carrier conversion would have looked like, probably just a larger Glorious/Courageous with a commensurately larger air wing.

To expand on that, scrapping Argus it should have been possible for the RN to remain within its 135,000 ton carrier tonnage total as defined by Chapter 1, Article 7 of the Washington Treaty whilst also converting an AH 18" Hood to a carrier
Are you sure about that interpretation of Article 8? It says

"The replacement of aircraft carriers shall be effected only as prescribed in Chapter II, Part 3, provided, however, that all aircraft carrier tonnage in existence or building on November 12, 1921, shall be considered experimental, and may be replaced, within the total tonnage limit prescribed in Article VII, without regard to its age."

So they count towards the total but can be replaced anytime.

John Jordan put it this way in "Warships after Washington"

"...Even if both of the light battlecruisers were to be converted [C & G], there would still be 20,500 tons remaining. This could be used either to convert two large light cruisers of the 'Elizabethan' class, or to build new carriers, which would take advantage of this tonnage plus the additional 14,000 tons which could be made available by scrapping Argus."

I agree with you on HMS Hood's fame in 1921/22. I suspect that those of us with an interest in capital ships dramatically overestimate how much the rest of society would have cared about them at the time. In the specific case of Hood and the Washington Treaty, the UK was only 3+ years out of WW1 and had bigger things to worry about than an emotional attachment to warship that had been left behind by more recent design developments. It would be fascinating to know if anyone has looked into the social aspect of this though, as you say. I also have a lot of respect for John French and hope he is right that a model of Fisher's 6 x 18" battlecruiser survives at Kilverstone Hall, Fishers old home.

With respect to the treaty and aircraft carriers, my interpretation is that Article VIII merely exempted those vessels defined as experimental (essentially anything built or converted as an aircraft carrier or in that process by November 12th 1921) from the replacement age clauses in Chapter II Part III, Section I. However, they were still included in the tonnage limits defined in Article VII. Put another way, the aircraft carriers considered experimental could be replaced at the discretion of their owners rather than having to wait until they were 20 years old, but they still counted toward total tonnage.

Article IX as actually written would have allowed Hood or her 18" AH incarnation to be converted to an aircraft carrier as long as she did not exceed 33,000 tons, its the clause the US used to convert Lexington and Saratoga. It's almost too obvious as a conclusion. As to what a Hood carrier conversion would have looked like, probably just a larger Glorious/Courageous with a commensurately larger air wing.

But for Article IX to apply, Hood would have had to have been one of the ships scheduled for scrapping:-

"No aircraft carrier exceeding 27,000 tons (27,432 metric tons) standard displacement shall be acquired by, or constructed by, for or within the jurisdiction of, any of the Contracting Powers.

However, any of the Contracting Powers may, provided that its total tonnage allowance of aircraft carriers is not thereby exceeded, build not more than two aircraft carriers, each of a tonnage of not more than 33,000 tons (33,528 metric tons) standard displacement, and in order to effect economy any of the Contracting Powers may use for this purpose any two of their ships, whether constructed or in course of construction, which would otherwise be scrapped under the provisions of Article II."

So it is either a new build over 33,000 tons or use a ship due to be scrapped. Hood was listed as a keeper in Chapter II Part I referred to in Article II.

As to how would a Converted Hood looked like, here is the late CanisD's drawing of HMS Howe converted into a Carrier: (Note this was done around or before 2005! )
Hood_CV.jpg

But for Article IX to apply, Hood would have had to have been one of the ships scheduled for scrapping:-

"No aircraft carrier exceeding 27,000 tons (27,432 metric tons) standard displacement shall be acquired by, or constructed by, for or within the jurisdiction of, any of the Contracting Powers.

However, any of the Contracting Powers may, provided that its total tonnage allowance of aircraft carriers is not thereby exceeded, build not more than two aircraft carriers, each of a tonnage of not more than 33,000 tons (33,528 metric tons) standard displacement, and in order to effect economy any of the Contracting Powers may use for this purpose any two of their ships, whether constructed or in course of construction, which would otherwise be scrapped under the provisions of Article II."

So it is either a new build over 33,000 tons or use a ship due to be scrapped. Hood was listed as a keeper in Chapter II Part I referred to in Article II.

That is exactly my point, and self-explanatory, our AH 18" Hood would be scheduled for scrapping instead of retention, as an act of good will by the UK and to remove the only true capital ship in existence with a main gun calibre greater than 16". She would then be converted to a carrier under Article IX. the 33,000 ton limit defined in Article IX was hardly a random number, it clearly had a set of specific ships in mind. As trade for scrapping its symbolic 18" capital ship the UK would be allowed to build three, rather than the two it actually was, new capital ships.

Interesting topic. One possibility is to keep Hood if she will be rearmed with guns no bigger than 16 inch. So either 3x3 15 inch, or 3x3 16 inch as used on the Nelson?

As to a carrier conversion, she will be roughly equivalent to Lexington, but remember the americans had to more or less lie to convert the 2 BC as they were over 33,000 tons. A Hood CV would be around the same displacement too, but that would eat about 13,000 into their CV allotment compared to one of the follies. So Argus gets scrapped? At any rate you can have a WW2 lineup of Hermes, Eagle, the 3 follies and Hood, plus new construction.

Re the IJN and USN, as soon as they find out about this ATL 18 inch Hood they will rush to redesign their future ships, maybe the first 4-6 ships of the OTL construction programs will still retain 16 inch guns (say the Tosas and first two Amagis for Japan, and the first 2-3 Lex and SD for the USN) but the rest will be redesigned with 18 inch guns, remaining SD with 8 guns (quite easy to convert), remaining Lexes with 6, IJN's next two Amagis and the Kiis with 8 guns etc.

But these ships will mostly be cancelled anyway due to WNT.

Back at the british perhaps the design of the G3 BC has 6x 18 inch guns insted of 9x 16 inch?

Or how about this possibility, they are allowed to keep Hood as is, but they will not be allowed to build the Nelsons. Maybe keep Tiger or whatnot instead to make up the numbers.

So the money spent to build the Nelsons might then be used for 2-3 or even 4 extra CAs in the 1920s?

Interesting topic. One possibility is to keep Hood if she will be rearmed with guns no bigger than 16 inch. So either 3x3 15 inch, or 3x3 16 inch as used on the Nelson?
You need to stay as close to existing barbette diameters as possible. So triple turrets are right out. The ideal would be twin 16", but while the Nelsons had the same armament as the planned G3s much effort was put into lightening the mounts, which is liable to consume design efforts needed for a new twin.

End of the day, it's probably going to be 8 15" again. Which almost certainly makes rearming a nonstarter for the British.

Back at the british perhaps the design of the G3 BC has 6x 18 inch guns insted of 9x 16 inch?
The British were never fans of 6-gun designs and only did so for the Renowns due to war exigencies. In which case, 18" is off the table for the G3s for the same reasons I outlined prior.

Or how about this possibility, they are allowed to keep Hood as is, but they will not be allowed to build the Nelsons. Maybe keep Tiger or whatnot instead to make up the numbers.

So the money spent to build the Nelsons might then be used for 2-3 or even 4 extra CAs in the 1920s?
That's a fairly inequitable compromise for the British, assuming the US Navy keeps Colorado and West Virginia and Japan Mutsu. Note that they could already keep Tiger, and in fact eight 13.5" dreadnoughts, without Nelson and Rodney. The alternative is that Colorado, West Virginia, and Mutsu aren't built at all, and that would make Japan howl.

So either Britain or Japan would be screwed over in this scenario. And I'm not sure how far the US' willingness to ram a treaty through anyway extends in such a case.

I thought Britain and Japan being screwed over was the whole idea.

Not sure if you guys know but there were 6 preliminary designs which was used as a basis for developing the Admiral class battlecruisers and HMS Hood.
No.1-3 were 4x2 15"/45 armed versions while No.4 was 4x1, No.5 was 3x2 and No.6 was 4x2 18"/40 armed versions:
View: https://i.imgur.com/zhb2wxR.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/fIjE20R.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/n1Kwcwp.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/hje3Yhb.jpg

Historically Design 3 were chosen for further development but what if this was not the case?
Now a what if scenario for you guys to think about:
How would the HMS Hood would effect the Washington Naval Treaty if were to be built to one of the 18" armed designs preferably the 3x2 or 4x2 versions?

I would guess if she were built to the 18" design this would effect a considerable re-thinking of the late WW1 capital ship designs of the world navies,
the Japanese surely would likely redesign the Tosas and Amagis for 46cm and Kii and No.13 would be 46cm armed vessels from start.
USN, not sure if they would go for 18" or remain with the 4x3 16" for the South Dakotas implying more barrels to bear.
France and Russia would start developing their 18" equivalent guns sooner?
Germany, Austro-Hungary and Italy might starting to consider designing 18" calibre weapons?
The RN? Not sure if they would start developing the 16" Mark 1 and instead sooner develop the improved 18"/45 Mark II gun
There is one probable consequence that I think needs to be taken in account: the other 3 Adrmirals would be probably completed postwar given that even with an outdated armor concept they would be clearly far superior to anything planned abroad. This would have left the USN and the IJN with 2 alternative choice: to proceed with the planned constructions to somewhat mitigate the imballance or to scrap the existing plans and to wait the needed time to develop their 18" guns. In the first case a treaty in the same timeframe as in OTL would have probably to recognize a superior status to the RN compared to the USN and further degradate the japanese power ratio to the RN. In the second case any Treatry could have only come after the construction of 18" gunned american and japanese capital ships was well underway, necessarly several years after 1921. Therefore in the scenario you described either the treaty would have retained the primacy of the RN or it would have taken place several years later than what happened in the OTL.

No remotely plausible version of the Washington naval treaty has the US conceding “a superior status” or primacy to the UK/ Royal Navy.

Last edited by a moderator:
No remotely plausible version of the Washington naval treaty has the US conceding “a superior status” or primacy to the UK/ Royal Navy.
The idea of a naval parity with the UK was born with the Preparedness movement in 1916. After the war and with the return to an isolationist policy the political and popular desire to cut the naval spending was probably superior to any naval parity ambition. The UK was willing to accept and the USN could advance the naval parity proposition only because of the huge US naval program alredy approved and financed in 1916 to which the RN had only to oppose some blueprint of and half a number of theoretically superior ships. 4 operational British ships far superior to anything in the US program would have made some difference...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom