What car is this?

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
It's a late 70's, early 80's American model. What is it? More importantly, how long is it?

Yes, this is actually relevant in the "Postwar Aircraft Projects" fourm....
car.jpg

cut be
Plymouth 1981-1985 Gran Fury or Caravelle 204.6 in (5197 mm) long
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Gran_Fury

i checked the Ford Grenada with the picture and bingo !
it only car who match the grille on the picture

this IS a 1981 Ford Granada (4-door Station Wagon)
http://wikicars.org/en/Ford_Granada

size
Length: 195.2", Width: 70.2", Height: 53.5"

so for Wat scaling purposes, you need this ?!

Attachments

• 1981 Ford Granada.jpg
    1981 Ford Granada.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 73
Ok, so like, what does this have to do with airplanes?

These cars don't even have "airplane" names on them.

LOL

Oh, did anyone see the latest Car & Driver? Their April Fools raod test is a Zeppelin.

saturncanuck said:
Ok, so like, what does this have to do with airplanes?

Senior Peg. A half-scale RCS model was pole tested. The car in the photo gives a vague sense of scale. I'm working with Tony Landis to create some new reconstruction drawings, based solely on this one photo. What would *really* be helpful would be knowing the length of the pole, but that's as unlikely as knowing the span of the model.

Attachments

• SP ATB.jpg
    SP ATB.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 94
back to Plymouth 1981-1985 Gran Fury
800px-YellowTorontoPoliceCar.jpg

more like the wandet car ?

so Length is between 204.6" and 195.2" inch

if we take 200 inch, then is wingspan of Senior Peg, around 833.3" (21,16 meter)

Michel Van said:
if we take 200 inch, then is wingspan of Senior Peg, around 833.3" (21,16 meter)

Based on the original photo, the apparent span of the Senior Peg is 460 pixels, the apparent length of the car is 108 pixels (the length of just the side of the car, not including the visible parts of the front). The car and the SP seem to be at *roughly* the same angle, so that's helpful. The ratio is 460/108 = 4.26. Assume a car length of 200 inches, then the span of the 1/2 scale model is a minimum of 852 inches. The car sits, apparently, very close the the base of the pole, while the model is some distance up int he air; since the photographer is at ground level, the car should thus be closer than the model, the the span would be greater than that. So the full-scale Senior Peg would seem to have a span of 2 X 852 X 1.x inches, or somewhere greater than 142 feet. I'm going to guesstimate ~150 feet.

Attachments

• spdims.jpg
    spdims.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 73
RATSCAT

A large scale radar cross-section (RCS) pole model of each contractor’s conceptual
design was initially built and tested at the RASCAT facility, White Sands, NM as part of the
Study Contracts. Both contractors modified their models and retested them during the
evaluation. The data formed the basis of the RCS trade studies, the preliminary RCS
specification, and the survivability assessment by the SSEB during the evaluation period.

B-2 Systems Engineering Case Study
John M. Griffin, SES (Ret.)
James E. Kinnu, Northrop-Grumman (Ret.)
Edited by John M. Colombi

skyrocket01 said:
Ford Grenada

...Bingo! Dim confirmed that this evening, and reminded me that when I was using the car before he sold it, it was after he'd had the front end replaced by that of a Mercury model. A lot of the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury models from the 80's sat on the same chassis, so if you knew what you were doing you could mix and match body parts and come up with some unique box car concoctions. Nothing as wild as putting a Rolls radiator on a VW Bug, but you could at least spruce up that boring square Found On Road Dead vehicle a little.

Now, what the frack does this have to do with secret aviation projects, Scott? Did MI6 have a transsonic flying sub version for use by the Double-Naught agents? ;D ;D

Hi guys.

Being a bit of a car fanatic, I have to weigh in on this. All of the respondents are wrong about what this car is.
It is in fact a GM B-Body car from circa 77-85. Appropriately enough, it is an Oldsmobile Delta 88!

Please note, front & rear overhangs, wheelbase (too long to be Malibu), and shape of the side-glass..

79delta.jpg

car.jpg

Wheelbase 116.0 in (2946 mm)
Length 217.5 in (5525 mm) (1977-79)
218.1 in (5540 mm) (1980-85)
Width 76.8 in (1951 mm)
Height 55.0 in (1397 mm) (coupe)
55.7 in (1415 mm) (sedan)

Check out Wikipedia for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_88

I hope this is of help in determining the scale of the Senior Peg RCS Model.

Orionblamblam said:
It's a late 70's, early 80's American model. What is it? More importantly, how long is it?

Yes, this is actually relevant in the "Postwar Aircraft Projects" fourm....
car.jpg

At first glance, the general profile appears to be that of a 1977-85 Chevrolet Impala, but the headlamps appear to vertically stacked and the grill looks narrow, while the Impala had horizontal headlamps. The grille and headlamp treatment reminds me of a number of 1976-78 intermediate sized American cars, but it most definitely doesn't match the side profile. However, the profile is very definitely that of a 77-85 B-body. I'm inclined to say that the object in question isn't a full sized car, but a poorly rendered scale model that combines the features of several prototype cars.

I'm starting to wonder if this photograph is a pre-photoshop hoax staged with scale models.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 16
Cool Model !

Cool pole ! (is that pole real?)

Look how thin that pole seems at the top !!

I measure it at around 120 ft tall !!

The wind better be pretty calm.

I wonder what the pole looks like from the side.
On the F-117A and XST shots we were shown the pole
from the side. A canted forward and triangular shape from
the side.

The shadows effectively mask the side view of this pole.

I suspect the car is there to mask the shadow of the pole !!

Besides the model, a stealth device itself !!