• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Western conceptions of Chinese military airplanes !

Deino

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Following Antonio’s post from the „Weapons Encyclopaedia“ regarding Chinese “may look like” and my very special interest in Chinese aviation matters I want to re-start it as a new tread.

pometablava said:
More from the "Weapons Encyclopaedia". This time Chinese Fighters, the J-8 and the J-12. Both from Shenyang
"The J-8 Finback would be a Mach 2 fighter (2 Tumansky R-11 copies) developed from one MiG-23 received from Egypt. First operational units would be ready from 1980".
"The J-12 would be a Mach 2 fighter engined with one Spey with afterburner". The Chinese Spey program started in 1979.

Cheers

Antonio

Quite interesting as there are several reports on a variable-geometry version of the J-8 and – if You take a look at the colour painting – a possible JH-8 which was under consideration in competition to the JH-7 from Xian. This JH-8 was later abandoned and further developed into the J-8B with its later intakes. If this still secret JH-8 was ever planed to have a VG-wing is not clear, but it was supposed to have a different wing.

Attachments

• Shenyang J-x maybe J-8.jpg
    Shenyang J-x maybe J-8.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 398
  • J-8 and J-12 might have been.jpg
    J-8 and J-12 might have been.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 392

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There are also later concept drawings of these VG- and delta-winged Finbacks from another book (does anyone know it ???) and my opinion is that these Finback-derivates are clearly the later Chengdu J-9 and the Nanchang Q-6 … which have nothing in common with the finback !

Another example of an early concept of the later Q-6 - which was at first thought to be a radar-equipped J-6 - is shown below !

Cheers, Deino

Attachments

• J-6B + J-12.jpg
    J-6B + J-12.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 576
  • J-6 + radar - later Q-5.JPG
    J-6 + radar - later Q-5.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 337

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
BOOK-SEARCH: Does anyone know the title and if possible the ISBN of that book ????

PLEASE !!!!

I found another scan from - or better 4 larger parts - of the "later" Q-5 which is here labeled F-6B ...

Any help would be fine !!

Cheers + Thanks a lot , Deino

Grrrr ... can't upload the pictures ... maybe havbe to resize tham ... but tomorrow !

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Deino said:

Another example of an early concept of the later Q-6 - which was at first thought to be a radar-equipped J-6 - is shown below !

Cheers, Deino

Hey guys ... I just re-found that tread and since there was still no answer to that question ... yet another atempt:

DOES anyone know this book ?? ???

Thanks in advance, Deino

frank

Reaction score
I don't have the book handy, but the Finbacks are from "The Chinese War Machine". I think it was a late '70s - early '80s book.

Deino said:
There are also later concept drawings of these VG- and delta-winged Finbacks from another book (does anyone know it ???) and my opinion is that these Finback-derivates are clearly the later Chengdu J-9 and the Nanchang Q-6 … which have nothing in common with the finback !

Cheers, Deino

frank

Reaction score
You can see the dust jacket here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chinese-War-Machine-by-Ray-Bonds-1979-1st-Ed-Hardbk_W0QQitemZ350281221514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item518e63458a

And without, such as mine.:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Chinese-War-Machine-by-Ray-Bonds-1979_W0QQitemZ260503947351QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item3ca73ec857

frank said:
I don't have the book handy, but the Finbacks are from "The Chinese War Machine". I think it was a late '70s - early '80s book.

Deino said:

Cheers, Deino

Apophenia

Reaction score
So the full ref is ...

The Chinese war machine: a technical analysis of the strategy and weapons of the People's Republic of China, Bill Gunston, Nigel de Lee, Harold C Hinton, Hugh Lyon; Ray Bonds (Ed.), Salamander/ Crescent, 1979, ISBN 0861010418

frank

Reaction score
I don't think I still have my photocopies, but ISTR in an older issue of International Defence Review or possibly Jane's Defence Weekly, there was a comment about a new PRC fighter with a sketch (front quarter left, in flight, ISTR) showing a Mirage or F-102/-106 type of fighter & I believe the article stated it was similar to the latter, so my guess is it would be related to the "Shenyang F-12 (A)" shown in the post, which looks quite Mirage-like IMHO.

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ohhh ... finally !!

THANKs a lot to You both.

Deino