Warbird paint scheme for a Taylor Monoplane?

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
I just bought a set of plans for John Taylor's classic VW-powered homebuilt Taylor Monoplane from his son Terry. The Mono looks very much like a little fighter, especially with an enclosed canopy, so now I am daydreaming about building one and painting it up in warbird colors.

This group has a great store of aviation historical knowledge. Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting schemes, even specific individual aircraft that I might want to replicate? For our Russian-speaking members, the lines of the Taylor remind me of a Yak, so I'd be particulary interested in a historic or unusual WWII Soviet example, maybe something with a big patriotic slogan in Cyrillic.

Here's a pic of the original Mono, John Taylor's own G-APRT, for inspiration.

Cheers,

Matthew

Attachments

• APRT.jpg
    APRT.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 181
I am still looking for schemes a Soviet WWII winter scheme seems like the best combination of simplicity and significance. Does anyone have any specific planes to suggest? After doing some reasearch on the Normandie-Niemen fighter group, I would really like to find a contemporary photo of one of the Yak fighters flown by ace pilot and Hero of the Soviet Union Marcel Albert in a winter camouflage scheme.

What I found about Yak-3 or 9 pictures with winter scheme, suggests more or less just white overall
with red markings and letterings ... hm
Don't want to spoil your favoured paint scheme, but for that plane, with bubble canopy and inline engined
nose, I would rather prefer the scheme below:
Nice colours, not too "warrior like" and you won't have to bother with Cyrillic characters (although surely
help wouldn't be too far away here).
(from http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/Images/Gallery/King_misc/Seafire47/Seafire47_004_V.jpg )
And of course there's no need to saw off the wing tips, just to mimick folding wings ! ;)

Attachments

• Seafire-47.jpg
    Seafire-47.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 130
Thanks, Jemiba, that's a neat one if a bit complex. My preference is for early war designs, but the bubble canopy limits the options. Maybe I should go for a project or prototype in the spirit of this forum. How about a Miles M.20?

First prototype

m20.jpg
m.20+profilo.jpg

Second prototype

GRB-M20.JPG

Yes, good idea, would prefer the prototype with yellow undersides.
BTW, the Seafire would be possible, too, without those stripes (sorry, I've
a soft spot for that scheme ..)

cluttonfred said:
After doing some reasearch on the Normandie-Niemen fighter group, I would really like to find a contemporary photo of one of the Yak fighters flown by ace pilot and Hero of the Soviet Union Marcel Albert in a winter camouflage scheme.

If you are still interested in them - here are some, but in poor quality :( .
Also some color profiles:

Attachments

• photo_yak-1b_albert-1.jpg
    photo_yak-1b_albert-1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 6
  • photo_yak-1b_albert-2.jpg
    photo_yak-1b_albert-2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 6
  • photo_yak-1b_albert-3.jpg
    photo_yak-1b_albert-3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo_yak-1b_albert-4.jpg
    photo_yak-1b_albert-4.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 4
  • pic_yak-1b_02.jpg
    pic_yak-1b_02.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 7
  • albert_3.jpg
    albert_3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 7
Thanks, I've filed this away for future reference (got lots of plans and lots of planes I'd like to build) but the simple winter white Marcel Albert scheme is still my favorite.