Eric Clutton's FRED homebuilt

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
Hello, all. After the demise of the one site dedicated to Eric Clutton's classic FRED (Flying Runabout, Experimental Design) homebuilt, I have agreed with Eric to put up a new one. If anyone has any pics, articles or other info to share that might be useful, I would be grateful.

FRED (the mischievous name was chosen particulary to irk bureaucrats) is a single-seat, wood-and-fabric parasol monoplane usually powered by a converted VW engine of some sort. It's party trick is that it's rugged construction, long-travel landing gear and quick-folding wings make it easy to store in a small hanger or just trailer home on its own wheels.

For those not familiar with the design, here's the Wikipedia page on FRED. On the EAA web site there is also a fantastic interview with Eric beginning with his days in the RAF and his adventures in gliding in the UK (FRED stuff begins around minute 21:00 if you want to skip ahead). Eric had a hand in developing the TEAM MiniMax designs back in the 1980s and he is better known to model aircraft builders as "Dr. Diesel."

Again, any and all photos and documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matthew

I have lots of FRED photos as part of my collection, and saw G-ASZY flying (marginally) at a Vintage Aircraft Club Camp at Welshpool - early 70s. Unfortunately all my FRED photos are film (prints from negatives) and none of them have been scanned. May be able in slower time to provide a list of the individual aircraft incase any are of particular interest.

Thanks, Mascaret, I have had a good response from UK aviation buffs on British FREDs but I would be very interested in getting a few scans if you can fill gaps in the collection, so yes, I'd love to see a list of what you have in your collection. When I have the site up you'll be able to see for yourself what I have if that saves you any time. Cheers, Matthew

The site is up! Eric Clutton's FRED homebuilt

My new web site on Eric Clutton's FRED is now up at www.cluttonfred.info. Comments and suggestions are welcome and I am still looking for photos and other materials to add. Cheers, Matthew

Mole said:
Hello, all. After the demise of the one site dedicated to Eric Clutton's classic FRED (Flying Runabout, Experimental Design) homebuilt, I have agreed with Eric to put up a new one. If anyone has any pics, articles or other info to share that might be useful, I would be grateful.

FRED (the mischievous name was chosen particulary to irk bureaucrats) is a single-seat, wood-and-fabric parasol monoplane usually powered by a converted VW engine of some sort. It's party trick is that it's rugged construction, long-travel landing gear and quick-folding wings make it easy to store in a small hanger or just trailer home on its own wheels.

For those not familiar with the design, here's the Wikipedia page on FRED. On the EAA web site there is also a fantastic interview with Eric beginning with his days in the RAF and his adventures in gliding in the UK (FRED stuff begins around minute 21:00 if you want to skip ahead). Eric had a hand in developing the TEAM MiniMax designs back in the 1980s and he is better known to model aircraft builders as "Dr. Diesel."

Again, any and all photos and documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matthew