Wackett Warrigal II fighter project.

Boogey

B'Boomelang
Reaction score
Could anybody help me please to solve the question if Lawrence Wackett's fighter design of 1930,
named Warrigal II, derivative of RAAF R. E. S. built Warrigal I two seat training aircraft,
was to be single or two seat machine.
I never saw a photo of sketch or draught of the aircraft and some roots say that it had to be two,
others, that single seat fighter, by the way called " the Australian first indigenous fighter ".

Sorry for my tragic English language but I'm Polish.
If somebody needs any informations about Polish aviation history I'll help with pleasure.

P. S. This topic can be treated as a place for discussion the Australian pre - war aviation,
specially Mr. Wackett's designs.

Hi,

a little info about it here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Wackett

I started with Wikipedia, but I haven't found there any conclusive answer :
11 Sources disagree as to whether the Warrigal II was a single-seater or had two seats.
But I'm still hopeful that the question will be solved like many others in aviation history.

@ toura The photo You mean shows Warrigal I trainer :)

@ Justo Miranda So we have another entry of the Wackett Warrigal I training aircraft ;
the description by the photo is wrong as the Wackett Warrigal II fighter was never been built,
just because of lack of funds. There's can't be any photo of the aircraft, so please don't look for it ;D
Everytime everywhere You'll find only the Warrigal I.

Boogey said:
...as the Wackett Warrigal II fighter was never been built, just because of lack of funds...

According to "Technology in Australia 1788-1988", a prototype Warrigal II was built (and it was a single-seater). Does anyone know if this is considered a reliable source?

http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/498.html#2042

"Two other aircraft were developed at Randwick to the prototype stage: Warrigal 1 (a trainer) and Warrigal 11 a single seat fighter. As a result of a government-sponsored report, the Randwick Station was closed in 1931: Wackett resigned from the R.A.A.F. and transferred, with some personnel and equipment to Cockatoo Dockyard."

OK, seems it was my mistake to write that the Wackett Warrigal II was never been built,
'cause a few roots really indicate its prototype stage.
Anyway it looks like only one photo of Warrigal exists in internet and it's of the Warrigal I.
The more strange that the prototype was built and nobody remember
if the aircraft was a single or two seater.

Attachments

• RAAF R. E. S. Warrigal I.jpg
    RAAF R. E. S. Warrigal I.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 561
1004px-RAAF_Experimental_Station_Warrigal_II_aircraft.svg.png

On the elusive source for a picture of the Warrigal II, may I present this one, taken from the NSW State Library. I was looking for something relating to my uncle, who worked for Commonwealth Aircraft, amongst others and saw this and felt I must download it. Like the artwork provided by blockhaj, this shows the different shaped rudder on the Warrigal II, compared to the example fitted to the Warrigal I. This picture was taken at Mascot on 29 July 1930 and shows damage to the undercarriage following a hard landing. The wings also needed repairs following this incident. The airrame went though various trials during its life and was eventually fitted with floats. Following recommendations from the CO of No 1 FTS, the aircraft was eventually passed to the Melbourne Technical College.
Warrigal I pic 2.jpg

Here's a couple of newspaper articles from the late 1920s and early 30s. The first from the Argus, a Melbourne newspaper, dated 1 February 1929 shows the christening of the Warrigal I, the first Australian built plane to enter service with the RAAF. The Sydney Morning Herald from 5 December 1928 notifies readers of the successful tests of the Warrigal I. Finally an article taken from the Brisbane Courier edition of 30 July 1930 tells of the incident for which I provided the picture above.
Warrigal I pic 3.jpg Warrigal II pic 2.jpg
Warrigal I pic 2.jpg